Milk

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Ok fellas since beginning training and a new diet for the Royal Marines i have this big obsession with looking at labels on foods and drinks telling you their content. So while i was pouring a glass of milk i had a look at the label and according to the label their is just over 19g of protein in 1 pint of semi-skimmed milk! Are my eyes deceiving me? Are their different types of protein the way their is different types of fats and milk contains the poor protein? I just cant believe i can get that much protein from like 2 glasses of milk.

Leedham

Reaction score
There are different types of protein, eggs being the best you can get from food, and bread being the worst (i think)...milk is pretty good protein same as nuts and beans too. So yeah, get chuggin the milk (low fatmilk of course)

RC

Reaction score
No your eyes aren't decieving you.

Most protein shakes (whey) are made from milk, so yeah it is a very good source of protein.

Yeah, there are different types of amino acids which form proteins. Complete proteins contain all the essential amino acids which your body cannot manufacture.

With fat there are good fats (omega 3) and not so good fats (saturated), semi-skimmed milk contain a fair amount of saturated fat.

I drink at least 4 pints of skimmed milk a day ...... In't milk brilliant ? *text deleted*

I'm no expert on the above, so by all means, someone in the know correct me or expand on the above.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Check the above link, it's an excellent resource.

Rich.

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
your stomach no longer contains renin so does not coagulate the milk. Sooo.. you cannot digest it properly and therefore you do not recieve all these proteins?

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
and exactly same amount of protein in skimmed then semi skimmed, bin the semi

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Difference being, semi-skimmed doesn't tastes like someone got wasted and tried to drink milk, spewing it back up in the carton and leaving it on the side to get warm and lumpy. In my opinion, can't beat full fat milk as afterall everything is good in moderation and I never drink more than 30 cups of tea a day!

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There are different types of protein, eggs being the best you can get from food, and bread being the worst (i think)...milk is pretty good protein same as nuts and beans too. So yeah, get chuggin the milk (low fatmilk of course)

Bread would be considered a carb food. Nuts & Beans are great but they're incomplete proteins, you'd need to eat something else like wholegrain rice to get the complete protein. Meat, Fish & Eggs are king for natural food protein.

But yeah Milk is OK I guess it used to be a big staple for bodybuilders in the golden days for getting bigger.

Just my 2 cents.

New Threads