Milling

miramira

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Milling, aka "2 minute heavy boxing bout"
I know its part of Paras training, is part of the Marines training, also what should I do to prepare for it?

(Go down the pub?!:fight:)

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
marines dont mill, we have naked rollmat fighting.......:fight:

Gixer600Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Laugh Out *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** Loud that is good.

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
marines dont mill, we have naked rollmat fighting.......:fight:

It's the two smileys sword fighting that made me chuckle...

And *text deleted*, just stand up, ask for anyone with a shaved head to stand up, then shout 'YOU'RE A BUNCH OF PANSY-ARSED *text deleted**text deleted*ERS WHO COULDN'T KNOCK A *BAM!*'

(The *Bam* is you being lamped.)

C

critchmufc

Paras are only reg to mill in all of British army...FACT
Ive posted a link, might be able to find it if you search for milling on this site, the threads called p-coy or sumfin and has a video of recruits going thru milling,log race etc..etc.

The SAS mill

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Paras are only reg to mill in all of British army...FACT
Ive posted a link, might be able to find it if you search for milling on this site, the threads called p-coy or sumfin and has a video of recruits going thru milling,log race etc..etc.

Good job the Marines aren't part of the Army! :blink1:

I'd love milling. Frankly, the gloves would make it a bit soft after what we used to get up to at school. You're talking to the inventor of 'No Holds Barred Trampoline Bare-Knuckle Boxing.' It was funny untill someone broke an arm, then it was hilarious.

The two lads on the trampoline at the time were suspended, even the one who'd broken his arm!

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I heared they have staring contests in the T.A.

miramira

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I heared they have staring contests in the T.A.

must be funny monday morning seeing weekend daydreamer "your-do-gooder" boss/manager come to work with a face like Fightclub

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think they mean that the RM make up 60% of the whole UKSF. I've got it on a DVD somewhere.

Yeh I think the latest statistic is around 70% since both SBS and SAS opened up to all arms for intake.

Plus, people will always make up bollocks statistics to make whichever organisation they prefer sound 'pussers'

Someone said '80% of RAF regiment personnel who go for the SAS succeed.'

I was just like 'OK, but how many RAF personnel actually attempt it!?'

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeh I think the latest statistic is around 70% since both SBS and SAS opened up to all arms for intake.

Plus, people will always make up bollocks statistics to make whichever organisation they prefer sound 'pussers'

Someone said '80% of RAF regiment personnel who go for the SAS succeed.'

I was just like 'OK, but how many RAF personnel actually attempt it!?'

Indeed, over 94.5% of statistics are made up on the spot:biggrin:

I guess Royal Marines are in a good position to try for SF, being highly motivated and hopefully quite intelligent.

C

critchmufc

98.777776% of statistics arn't even based on truth, they are completely out of the blue

burny4125

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Milling....

Just woundering why dont the marines do milling like the Paras??, It would be good to show aggresion and knowing to fight on when your fooooked! Id actuly like to do this *text deleted* haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpAHByFgBG4&feature=related Thats milling for the ones who dont know what it is!

You get marked down for, Blocking,Turning away and stopping!

xin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's like spray & pray boxing.

Seems pretty pointless if you ask me.

WannabeMarine86

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's like watching a sloppy playground fight. I'm not buying all the "it shows aggression" crap. It's just male bravado. Why not have them box and gain a useful skill. Contact fighting is meant to be an art form whilst that just looks like a mess.

It does look like fun though.

derekchoi1

Reaction score
so basically when your all out of options ...........do the windmill and swing your arms around as fast as you can :toung: and to the whole aggression thing i would rather keep a cool head when the going got tough. aggression makes you sloppy and tired but it can be good for a little while, my opinion anyway :fight:

AndrewSA

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Its pretty mindless stuff to be honest. Any bloke can be aggressive. I agree with the earlier post, would be more useful if you actually learnt boxing, but they train you in unarmed combat anyway if I'm not mistaken.

henrol

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The point of milling isn't about how well you can punch or if you can put the man on the floor. It is 30 - 45 seconds of pure aggression, that's all. And what they are looking for is to see how aggressive you can be. They then can use this and turn you into what they want. It's about being able to turn aggression on and off. Which is a valueable thing to be able to do. I personally think it looks great fun and would love to give it a go!

The Royal Marines don't to my knowledge us milling in training as they have their own ways of doing things.

I wouldn't knock it as male bravado though. It is only 30-40 seconds long and as I've already said just designed to show how aggressive you can be, and if after (attempting) to brey your oppo, can you turn it off and be mates.

It has been used by the paras for many years, and as I understand it some SF outfits use it as part of their selection process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wings P Company "Milling" Jollies Bar 8
Banshee Milling? General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 17
S Russian milling...with pillows! Jollies Bar 5