Minimum fitness standards before RT

ODB

Reaction score
As the title says, what would you guys say are some minimum targets one should set for RT? e.g. run times pressups etc.

Kaisamson

Reaction score
Max or pretty close on the 3 bodyweight tests, 13 bleep test and sub 9 minute 1.5 return in my opinion - as a lot of people say and from my very limited experience, even the phys ninjas will be absolutely hanging during the gym sessions, nothing can prepare you for back to back camp circuits -vomit-

Reactions: ODB

ODB

Reaction score
Sweet mate. Do you think it's worth yomping at all?

Kaisamson

Reaction score
I see a lot of people say no as the TT will build you up with the yomping, potentially just asking for injury doing it yourself

Tetley

Reaction score
I'm not an expert but have been reading a lot on the forum as my son is in the application process preparing for vPJFT so here is a brief summary of things to consider and think about for RT
Good luck

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
As the title says, what would you guys say are some minimum targets one should set for RT? e.g. run times pressups etc.
You will aim to max out on EVERYTHING. That will be your personal minimum requirement.
A constant theme throughout training is giving 100%. Not 98% not 99% everything, so get the thoughts of minimum out of your mind.
If you're not giving your best then you're not going hard enough. We don't pass people who aim just to scrape by scrape minimum standard.
It's all mindset. Start working on it.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
And learn the basics of map reading.

Alan

ODB

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

You will aim to max out on EVERYTHING. That will be your personal minimum requirement.
A constant theme throughout training is giving 100%. Not 98% not 99% everything, so get the thoughts of minimum out of your mind.
If you're not giving your best then you're not going hard enough. We don't pass people who aim just to scrape by scrape minimum standard.
It's all mindset. Start working on it.
When I said minimum I didn't plan to aim for it, was more looking for a marker to assess where I am. I know what you're saying but have no plans to go for the bare minimum. Would rather see what people think is essential and then exceed it.

And learn the basics of map reading.

Alan
How would you suggest to best prepare for map reading? I don't have a large amount of open field to do so with.

Thanks,

ODB

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
@ODB get your hands on an Ordnance Survey map. Have a look through the legend, familiarise yourself with signs and symbols you find on a map. Youtube the Royal Marines lessons in basic navigation to have an idea of how to take bearings etc

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
When I said minimum I didn't plan to aim for it, was more looking for a marker to assess where I am. I know what you're saying but have no plans to go for the bare minimum. Would rather see what people think is essential and then exceed it.
I know you did and I understood exactly what you said. Forget about comparing yourself to bare minimum and just aim for top marks each time and absolutely everything you do.

I see above people have put stuff to get amongst which is good. As long as you turn up to CTCRM with a fantastic attitude and a good personal bearing you will go far.

Reactions: ODB

Tetley

Reaction score
OPPD - Online Physical Preparation Day. My son has done several of these. It's a series of one hour Zoom PT sessions with a trained marine or PTI, the guy running the sessions for my son is training to become a PTI. It appears to be run for groups of about ten. It helps with technique for the elements of vPJFT, bit of a chance for potential recruits to ask a few questions. It was organised by his AFCO.
Seem to be good sessions a very little taste of whats to come

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
OPPD - Online Physical Preparation Day. My son has done several of these. It's a series of one hour Zoom PT sessions with a trained marine or PTI, the guy running the sessions for my son is training to become a PTI. It appears to be run for groups of about ten. It helps with technique for the elements of vPJFT, bit of a chance for potential recruits to ask a few questions. It was organised by his AFCO.
Oh wow that sounds great. Thanks for clarification.

ODB

Reaction score
Missed that along with the other stuff. Sounds class. How would I go about registering for them?

Tetley

Reaction score
It came from the his AFCO. This was after he'd passed the aptitude tests, interview, eye test & triage call. So it seems like this was offered at the vPJFT stage. I have only one example to base this on so don't hold me to it.