Minute's Silence. Does the general British public care?

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
We had to do a minute silence today outside in the pouring rain at PE. I was happy doing this obviously as I have great respect for the men that fought and died for us and my grandparents fought in WW2 so I respect it.

At the end of it some guy said, "that was the longest minute of my life."

I said, "shut the *text deleted**text deleted* up, it was the longest 5 years of their's if they made it that far, you ungrateful sh1t!!"

To me, im starting to wonder, does this generation really care anymore. Maybe in the next 20-30 years people will forget and move on. I hope not but Im a bit worried in the way this country is going with respect and gratitude for our past wars and serviceman.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
ALOT of the public do care, its the same with everything, Theres always going to be someone inconsiderate enough to make a comment like that... Same with alot of things i guess, upsetting to witness such lack of respect as i have witness it at a football matches.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
We had to do a minute silence today outside in the pouring rain at PE. I was happy doing this obviously as I have great respect for the men that fought and died for us and my grandparents fought in WW2 so I respect it.

At the end of it some guy said, "that was the longest minute of my life."

I said, "shut the *text deleted**text deleted* up, it was the longest 5 years of their's if they made it that far, you ungrateful sh1t!!"

To me, im starting to wonder, does this generation really care anymore. Maybe in the next 20-30 years people will forget and move on. I hope not but Im a bit worried in the way this country is going with respect and gratitude for our past wars and serviceman.

In the news:
People don't have the same amount of respect for the military as we did about 20 years ago.

Bears generally prefer a wooded area in which to sh*t

PoyserRM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i had one today in the middle of a 3 mile run at RMAD

i have alot of respect aswel for those who fought n died for our country

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I watched the Armistice Day service on BBC1 and me and my girlfriend (as I was round hers) did the 2 minute silence,
watching the 3 survivors of WW1 pay tribute was very powerful,
and the 112 year old who wanted to lay the wreath himself was very moving.

We owe all those who fought and died,
not just in WW1 but in all conflicts,
a lot of respect,
and I'm glad to see that a lot of people do show them the respect they deserve,
but sadly there are also a lot who don't,
My Dad mentioned the minutes silence at his workplace and someone said;
"what minute silence?, what you on about?",
and didn't know it was Armistice day,
and I'm sure there were some kids who thought it was funny to talk through it,
but you're always *text deleted* get people like that.

As the younger generation we have a responsibility to make sure that they are remembered.

Joe

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
We had a 2 minute silence at college in our class but i dont think the public know enough about what the forces go through and how much they have to give up to fight for the publics safety.

shady

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
At our school we did nothing. :sick:

McGarry90

Reaction score
I think the younger kids dont care as much because they find it irrelevant. Most kids under the age of 15/16 dont even have relative who were around in WW1 so they cant really relate to it. My great grandfather fought in the 1st world war, he died last year so i have alot of respect for everyone who gave their life in that war.

Jamesss

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
we had a fire alarm today at school 5 minuets before 11:00 so me and my mates stood in the middle of the netball courts (where we go if a fire) and we stood there in silance for 2 minuets while every 1 was running past us and back to lessons. a teacher shouted at us to move but i put my finger to my lip and pointed at my watch and he said sorry. when we got back into school the whole class stood up for the 2 minuet silance

Distant.RM.Cooper

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Same lads, I had the 2 minute silence in my business class we only had it because i reminded my teacher (it's disgraceful), People just carried on typing on there keyboards i was really p1ssed off at that. I think if my teacher didnt tell them off i would have. God Bless My 2 Grandads and the others who fought by there side.

NDC_OSPREY

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
We had 2 minutes silence in our college, everyone in the foodhall (where i was) was silent except for 1 kid (emo type) who went "Why the *text deleted* has everyone gone silent, freaks" and walked out.

Necki

Reaction score
Indeed unfortunately i doubt many of the younger generation (my generation?) care, similarly like someone else said, because they cannot understand why or cannot relate to why the are doing it.

We did 2 minutes silence during our remembrance day assembly at college today though. (Think we did 2 minutes because the heavy amount of losses in WW1 which ended 90 years ago today.)

T

tricky123

If you think thats bad did you see what the Celtic fans done?
They started boo-ing at their home game at the weekend and after 10 minutes walked out. I must admit this was a small minority. But when they went outside they started singing IRA songs and had organised a protest. Calling John Reid a war criminal. It got even worse as one of the people who organised the protest was interviewed for TV and he said he had nothing against the people who supported veterans day and his granda fought for britain during WW1.

Just shows you the people who don't deserve to be here.
If all those people never went to war anyone without blonde hair and blue eyes who was not perfect would be dead now.

MS

C

critchmufc

We had 2 minutes silence in our college, everyone in the foodhall (where i was) was silent except for 1 kid (emo type) who went "Why the *text deleted* has everyone gone silent, freaks" and walked out.

i wouold have got up, ragged him in there by his long hair(im presuming he has) and winded the *text deleted**text deleted*er so he couldnt speak

aethefox

Reaction score
i think more people care than ever. Over 30million poppys were sold this year,more than ever before. And the war in iraq has helped gain respect for soldiers and thier hardships. Because do you really truly understand the effects or war unless it happens in your own lifetime, for instance, when we started bombing afghanistan it was scary to think wow this is a war and it could come home.
How many of you appreciate the british fighting at waterloo? bunkerhill? and how many of you give 2 minutes silence for them, and i would say that was just as important as the 2 world wars. Times change soon it will be parades for the iraq war and the 2 world wars will be forgotten. it doesnt mean people arent glad to british.

C

critchmufc

teh PTI was telling us at RMAD today

they have raised £13,000,000 in 13 months!!

£1,000,000 per month!!!

you are right, there is more respect than ever for the forces now, even from people against war, because of what they risk, not what they do

but there always is the *text deleted**text deleted*ty 20% of the population that dont care because it doesnt affect them, when really it does

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Personally I think the majority of younger people are underestimated with regard their recognition of the Armistice.

If they don't know about it, it's because someone hasn't told them, often through ignorance. In those instances you can only apportion responsibility on those that possibly should have told them.

You will always get the ignorant individuals who will abuse servicepeople because they don't agree with the political issues regarding the employment of the military & can't distinguish between duty & political belief.

You get used to people insulting you because they believe you agree with the politicians- even if you feel the same as they do. I remember being told I was cannon fodder immediately after the Falklands by some thoughtful individual. It's all part of democracy.

zooby

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you think thats bad did you see what the Celtic fans done?
They started boo-ing at their home game at the weekend and after 10 minutes walked out. I must admit this was a small minority. But when they went outside they started singing IRA songs and had organised a protest. Calling John Reid a war criminal. It got even worse as one of the people who organised the protest was interviewed for TV and he said he had nothing against the people who supported veterans day and his granda fought for britain during WW1.

Just shows you the people who don't deserve to be here.
If all those people never went to war anyone without blonde hair and blue eyes who was not perfect would be dead now.

MS

alright *text deleted*, I was at the game, instead of doing a minutes silence we done a minutes applause, (which i didnt agree with)

The reason for this is that celtic have a large Irish support, that did not agree with the poppy being on the shirt of two irish men, a german and two japanese players and celtic did not want to give them the chance to disgrace the club. which seems to have happened from doing the minutes applause anyway.

As for the booing, it was all the normal fans that were booing the people who walked out after 10 minutes, It was a very small minority (50-100) that protested outside. 59,000+ respected the applause, these 'plastic paddys' have no place in celtic park in this day and age.

Chris_PRMC

Reaction score
wow, no minute of silence at a school in the UK?
thats disgracefull, even as far away as Hong Kong we had a minute of silence.
but the second world war was a bit closer to us probably, as we were under japanese occupation for 3 years.

on an interesting side note, my grandmother just turned 90, she was born on 11/11/18