Missing tooth

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I dont know if any one has experienced this, i got a tooth knocked out on saturday. The emergency dentist has sewn the root back and it should heal if not ill lose it and have a gap.

But does any one know if this may slow down application? Both scenarios.

M

MTW

i think any dental work like that has to be completed before recruit training.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
you get dental with service in RM so i don't see why you wouldn't be able to get it sorted during RT if time required you to do so

M

MTW

i think they dont allow you to enter with dental work needed to be done, probably because you could just get a go in needing 1000's of pounds worth of dental work done, get it done for free then leave.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Alright mate - ouch!

Fnnily enough, i asked my AFCO about this yesterday. I knocked FIVE front teeth out (more to come perhaps!?) just over a week ago and broke my jaw coming off a push-bike.

Missing teeth shouldn't slow down your application if you don't intend to have any further dental treatment, but if you are having any operations to do with the bones in the mouth then you have to wait 12 months after the operation.

This is relevent to me as i have now metal plates in my jaw so will have to wait 12 months, but they people at the AFCO didn't really think it should be a problem, and they knew of a few people in a similar situation who hadn't had problems.

I've got a copy of the "Application to serve in the Armed Forces Guidance notes" with full details on medical conditions sat infront of me if you want any further info.

Farkin pain in the ar5e though! Look like a hill-billy, talk with a lisp and have to eat liquid diet for the next 6 weeks!

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I think:

Scenario 1 - Root heals and tooth stays in gob

Scenario 2 - Tooth doesn't settle back in place and is no longer in gob:biggrin:

Whatever happens, i think its best to wait untill everything has settled down in your mouth before starting recruit training.
Sounds like training is difficult enough, without having to worry about tooth-ache and whether it's *text deleted* fall out. Plus we need to be able to force as much scran down our necks as possible, and a reliable set of nashers is essential!

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ahhhh I see, me being a retard. As I assumed (silly me) that he was involved in a fight I originally thought the two scenarios would be dental work and trouble with police.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Haha no worries mate - we're the retards for knocking our teeth out in the first place!

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Ahhhh I see, me being a retard. As I assumed (silly me) that he was involved in a fight I originally thought the two scenarios would be dental work and trouble with police.
Me fight! can you imgaine ME getting into a fight! ha ha