Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Mobilisations - They are happening

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Ninja_Stoker, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Those joining the RMR should be aware there are going to be 40 RMR Trained Ranks (ten per region) mobilised for 12 months each year to augment the trained strength of the regular Royal Marines.

They will be compulsory mobilisations to enable those mobilised to have their civilian wage matched.

They will join a fighting unit (Lead Commando) for 12 months, employed in the GD role and have the opportunity to transfer as a trained rank into the regular service, as a trained rank (if they wish) at the end of it.

As ever, the purpose of the Royal Marines Reserve is to augment the trained strength of the Regular Royal Marines so those joining for the kudos of gaining a green beret without the risk, should be aware of this from the outset.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. Avante

Avante New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Great logic here in my opinion. I have heard of many people joining the RMR for the kudos and challenge and upon receiving their green lid - they ditch.

I had always wondered why there was no return of service, but I suppose that contradicts the “volunteer” status?

Mandatory mobilisation is an excellent idea and will hopefully reduce skill fade in the longer term.

Regards, Avante

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    RMR manning will suffer.

It’s a terrible idea to offer that much blokes consistently for each year, especially as a compulsory deployment.
    Lads will end up getting [more] threaders and leaving. RMR already took a huge manning hit from politically influenced closures of units. And officers playing the politics game.

By all means have the ability to offer more deployments (and don’t see off the RMR lads by letting Regular PSIs steal “Gucci” trips) but don’t hammer the lads.

RMR struggles with recruitment as it is, it’s not as flexible as other reserve units and has its own problems, I have spoken to loads of lads who were keen to join RMR but because of the horrendous training model, commitment and inability to be flexible, I direct them to other reserve branches.

The corps’ admin is up its hoop, and it’s rentention and morale is in the elson and you expect the RMR to make up for it?

Lads have civvie careers that can’t always be put on hold, or employers that are willing or unable to drop an employee. Especially after offering flexible time for RMR Receuit training.

The RMR can’t even keep onside of the EU working time directive, and it’s just a matter of time (although it’s happened already) before work place accidents happen, or RTCs because lads are being smashed, or don’t know any better, or are too scared to speak up.
    And the hierarchy can’t hide under Crown Immunity, it’s a matter of time before something bad happens, (if it hasn’t already)
    Lads are playing a risky game with their own work time, Duty time and drivers hours, and they will be the ones getting rolled on when someone catches it up. Especially if RMR have no regard for civvie company policies.

RMR permanent staff don’t understand and rarely seem to care when the “obstacle” that is civvie employment gets in the way.

Lads are struggling to keep up with RMR between jobs as it is and the lads keep getting told they can’t rely on RMR pay? Because their admin is up their hoop.
    If I can’t rely on receiving my RMR pay, then you can’t rely on my time.

Don’t even get me started on RMR pay either.

This policy is in the clouds.

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Avante

Avante New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @ThreadpigeonsAlpha I don’t have the experience or knowledge to respond to any of your points and as you are a serving RM you know way more than myself on this issue and I respect your opinion.

The point you made about the flexibility with civi employers is a concern I have already and imagine it will only get worse.

Out of interest, what other reserve units do you direct people interested in the RMR to? Are there any instances where you do suggest RMR over other reserve units depending on the individual and circumstances?

Regards, Avante

5. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Depends on where they are from, what skillset they have/want, if they are ex regular. But mainly their industry or shift pattern would make it impractical to join RMR.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Avante

Avante New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Would you mind if I PM’d you with my details and get your view?

It would be appreciated!

Regards, Avante

7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yea go for it, I will help how I can. I am not always miserable and bitter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  8. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Really? :D

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Nah, I've met him. He was joking.

He's always miserable & bitter, particularly when it's his round.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 5
  10. Hoofin

Hoofin Commando Officer

Just to clarify all mobilisations are compulsory, in order that people are protected by the reserve forces act. The RMR runs a process of intelligent mobilisation so all people mobilised to date have been volunteers.

The reserve forces act does have the capability to compulsory mobilise people even if they are not volunteers, however as yet this has not been used by the RMR.

There has been no step change in mobilisation management in the RMR, however there is now the exciting possibility of being able to mobilise in support of 3 Commando Brigade outside of war fighting opportunities, giving the ability of people to step in and out of their civilian job and into regular service for short periods while having their civilian job protected by the act.

As @Ninja_Stoker says there are also opportunities for RMR ranks to transfer into the regulars as a trained rank, either instead of mobilisation or after mobilisation if they like what they found regular life to be. This firmly places the RMR as part of the whole RM capability.