Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Monkey Bars

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by 1409jb, Mar 22, 2019.

1. 1409jb

1409jb New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hi guys any tips for monkey bars?!?! Prmc on 30th April. Is monkey bars pass or fail

2. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    They aren't has difficult as you think, just remember to dry your hands on yourself before you get to them and swing like tarzan, I found the momentum to be better than going hand to hand.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

They are part of the bottom feild timed run, so if you fail that you will fail the course. I always sucked at monkeys bars, so I built a set in my garden from a set of ladders. It’s just practice, thumbs under grip, and use your forward momentum.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sly3

Sly3 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    That’s down to your grip, you’d be best just hanging on to a pull up bar dear life and getting used to the feel.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

From my gymnastics days I would say if you’re solid at pull ups you’ll be fine on monkey bars (assuming they’re not too wet). Main reason people fall off is just the rhythm so maybe try and find a kids park near you with some monkey bars to practise on. Failing that see if there’s a local bouldering/climbing centre near you? Couple of hours of that once a week will get your grip up to scratch

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  6. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

Playing devils advocate here... I did find the initial momentum from the swing good to get 2-3 bars across in ....but then eventually id swing back, so had to do hand to hand.

Dont worry though, I found them easier than I thought. It's not even upper body strength in my opinion, just grip strength.

7. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I agree it's all grip strength, doesn't really take muscle power to move across the bars especially when you are going across them quite quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 1409jb

1409jb New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thanks for all the help guys have been working on my pull ups etc so can work in some grip training easily, will 4 weeks be long enough to make a big difference

• Like Like x 2
  9. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

As an ex gymnast myself, albeit a not very good one, I would say it is about swing and momentum.

I get so frustrated watching ninja UK that so many people simply cannot swing! Seriously? It’s not Rocket Science!

My bootneck taught our best friend’s 5 year old to do the monkey bars in his own back garden!

10. Jaykay2343

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I totally understand what you are sayi g, however... During crash week, weighed down with 32lbs and on your 10th set off monkey bars (progressive overload apparently) 3rd day running, you will do anything to get across :D

Even worse so on the tarzan. By the time you get to the monkey bars, drowning yourself in the oggin seems like a good idea:eek:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Don’t let go.

Job done.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  12. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I disagree. I preferred to control my speed across, going hand to hand and “peddling” my legs for balance.

Whatever works for you!

13. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    It's really up to personal preference I suppose, you can do it either way according to the PTI so it's no problem.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Aye exactly mate. Whatever works for you!

15. 1409jb

1409jb New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thanks guys, prmc is like 2.5 weeks away now so *text deleted* myself just incase I can’t do them hahah

16. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Apologies for the redirection.....are you in the what's app group pal? If not give me a pm and I'll add you in

17. Geespt

Geespt Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Monkey bars are quite easy to do! It gets tough if they’re wet or if your hands are wet, so i’d highly advise that while you go under the cargo net the obstacle before the monkey bars, keep your fists clenched to keep your hands from getting wet!

I went over those very monkey bars today doing a practice run through of the Tarzan with my rifle and webbing, by the time i was there i was hanging out -vomit-

Just finished week 28 and starting our final exercise and commando tests after easter so let me know if you have any questions!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  18. Jaykay2343

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Going under the cargo net I kept my hands open and made an effort to get them layered in dust so they would be dry and get a bit grip for the bars.