Monkey Bars ?!?!

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not even worrying about this, I went on with my training, but God, I can't do monkey bars !!. I went to the park with my brother the other day, and just attempted to swing across them. I couldn't !!.... I couldn't hang from the one hand, everytime I tried to swing I lost all grip, and was not strong enough to hold myself up with one hand. Totally strange. I got pissed up, jumped up and pulled off 10 chin ups on the bar. Do you need to do all the monkey bars on the assault course to pass ??. I have small hands ( my 7 year old nieces fingers are about 1 cm smaller then mine, it's real stupid ) and it makes it almost impossible to keep any kind of grip.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Trace

Reaction score
all i can think of for grip is rubbing sand, salt or crushed ash into them to dry up the sweat.

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yes you do mate *text deleted* if u fall off they turn u round to do them again and dont forget you timed to do the assalt course

Luke023

Reaction score
i had your same problem but they show you a technique different from swinging with one hand. i cant do it just swinging accross, i put both hands on each bar.

the other way is hard to explain but you will be alright once they show you the other technique.

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
i haven't been on monkey bars since i was about 10, has got me worried now that i won't be able to do it... can anyone suggest somewhere i can go to practice with out looking like a *text deleted** in my local park?

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeh the hand grippers are good, but another way is to just hang on to a pull up bar for aslong as possible trying to keep as much grip as you can, once you get better then start hanging on with one hand at a time for aslong as possible, keep doing that regularly trying to beat your time and you'll soon improve.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mates, great and helpful replies. What kind of technique are you referring too Luke ?. What scares me also is having to do the Commando tests with the added 30 pounds + rifle.... trying to go over the monkey bars with added weight, no way !!. Im also a little on the heavy size, I could lose about 30 pounds, Im about 175 - 180 right now.... too much.

Mr.Danie, I was actually thinking of what your advised, and I actually did hang from the monkey bars at the park for a bit. Lotta cars driving by think Im nuts, but who cares. I'd advise going to a park and trying Marco. I thought I was tip top until I realized Im not good at supporting my own body weight, when trying to swing arm to arm. Chin ups, sure... no prob.... 1 handed, HELLS no.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i haven't been on monkey bars since i was about 10, has got me worried now that i won't be able to do it... can anyone suggest somewhere i can go to practice with out looking like a *text deleted** in my local park?
once you know how to do monkey bars then it wont go way.. trust me on this *text deleted*.. you'll be fine.. but if your still worried hang on your pull up bar and either start swinging and then take one hand off for a second or two then swap or stay still and and do it.

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeh i had a go one handed and its bloody hard trying to hold on, i do have crap hand/wrist strength. Personally though i find monkey bars okay, but holding on to my bar at home i just slip right off :(, probably my bar i guess as its pretty smooth.