Moral Courage

AsdaOwn

Reaction score
Can someone please define what moral courage means and how it is tested in RT and beyond thanks

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Tested all the time, intentionally or otherwise.

The ability to crack on with things despite worsening conditions and pressures, the ability to push yourself to the limit but not abandon your oppo, not to lie or *text deleted* your training team.

To be a decent person mate, any behavior you see of the cowardly movie character, don't do that.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Can someone please define what moral courage means and how it is tested in RT and beyond thanks
One definition (others are out there) might be having the integrity to do the right thing even if personal consequences are unpleasant or might be avoided.
Adults generally have a sound grip of what is 'right' and what is 'wrong' either legally or ethically. Do we always do the 'right' thing or do we take the lazy path of least resistance?

Here's a real world example:
If a Recruit loses an item of kit should he or she 'fess up and accept a minor penalty or instead pinch an oppo's kit and let him carry the can?

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The moral courage to question or refuse an order that is wrong, morally questionable or contrary to the rules of War.

It goes hand in hand with integrity. To have the strength of character to turn against the crowd heading in the wrong direction.

The excuse of “I was only following orders” doesn’t wash.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
One definition (others are out there) might be having the integrity to do the right thing even if personal consequences are unpleasant or might be avoided.
Adults generally have a sound grip of what is 'right' and what is 'wrong' either legally or ethically. Do we always do the 'right' thing or do we take the lazy path of least resistance?

Here's a real world example:
If a Recruit loses an item of kit should he or she 'fess up and accept a minor penalty or instead pinch an oppo's kit and let him carry the can?
Definitely nick it off the duty elson.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Definitely nick it off the duty elson.
The best thing I’ve ever seen scrawled on the wall of a toilet cubical was in the bar at Keogh Barracks. It was a long diagonal line. At the top it said “follow the line”. As I traced the line with my eyes I reached the text at the bottom of the line. It said “You are now shítting at a 45 degree angle”.

Sorry, moral courage. Cliche but I believe it is having the confidence to do what is right, even when it may be unpopular.