mortgage relief?

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
hi

does any one know if its true you get a mortgage benefit when you start training?

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
actually i think its called GYH(T)

can any one explain this? and how much it is

lawton86

Reaction score
yeah its called get ya home allowance or something. all u have to do is show that your name is on the council tax bill and you will get about 300 a month i think. so my mate says anyway, but its been a while since he told me so might be a little wrong.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There is indeed an allowance paid, after phase one training, which equates to the cost of two car journeys to your sole primary residence per month. For Naval ratings it is not paid until you are on phase two training so I'm assuming for RM, it isn't paid before Ex Baptists Run. This being the case, your monthly outgoings upon joining must be less than 50% of your net income before any allowances are paid.

The allowance is called Get You Home (Mileage) GYH(M) and you either get Rail Warrants or GYH(M), not both.

The rules & regulations are quite involved, so it is not possible to give exact figures as every person, if they qualify, gets paid different amounts dependent upon where they live and where they are based. (No, it doesn't increase when you're in Afghanistan). The mileage rate paid per mile also varies for different length distances. Before anyone asks, I'm not going to attempt to calculate examples as it's something best advised by those qualified to do so once you join.

To qualify, you need to be able to provide evidence you are paying the mortgage on the property before you join& pay Council Tax as a primary resident/owner. If it's sub-let, you cannot claim.

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
so just to clarify ninja, as a mortgage payer is this something i should bring up with my afco before i go into rt in dec, or is it a case that they already know from vetting me that im a homeowner and they will raise the issue of GYH(M) when it matters ie phase 2 of training. Also its nothing really to do with a mortgage or is it, sounds like its more just travel exspenses.

Either way it sounds like a nice brucey bonus i could do with in rt as the starting wage is going to kill me if the training doesnt!

New Threads