Most brave selfless act by soldiers..

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
what is the most brave and selfless act you guys have heard/read about?

im currently reading 8 lives down where after being ambushed by a mass of taliban fighters 6 of the 8 men make it out only to realise two are missing. Chris Hunter the commander then has to make the hardest decision ever.
leave the men or go back against 50+ enemy with only 4 blokes who barely made it out themselves and possibly get them killed.

this quote from the book just shows what soldiers would really do for each other.

"I make up my mind - never let adversity stand in the way of the right decision. I look at Rob and Dan, then Vince and Ollie. The boys know what's coming. I can read the look of dread on their faces, but dee down I know at this moment every single one of them is prepared to go back and fight with their bare hands if it means saving the lives of their oppos."

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
what is the most brave and selfless act you guys have heard/read about?

im currently reading 8 lives down where after being ambushed by a mass of taliban fighters 6 of the 8 men make it out only to realise two are missing. Chris Hunter the commander then has to make the hardest decision ever.
leave the men or go back against 50+ enemy with only 4 blokes who barely made it out themselves and possibly get them killed.

this quote from the book just shows what soldiers would really do for each other.

"I make up my mind - never let adversity stand in the way of the right decision. I look at Rob and Dan, then Vince and Ollie. The boys know what's coming. I can read the look of dread on their faces, but dee down I know at this moment every single one of them is prepared to go back and fight with their bare hands if it means saving the lives of their oppos."

thats amazing,
how about Matt Croucher jumping on the grenade,
Or Navy SEAL Michael Mansoor who jumped on a grenade to sacrifice himself for his oppos...

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Just seen 'World's Most Amazing Videos', not a soldier, but a firefighter:

A petrol tanker in America has turned over on top of a car, trapping a young girl inside. The fuel leaks all around, making a wall of fire around the girl. Firefighters manage to clear a small path through the flames, and a firefighter dashes through to the girl. The wall of flames then close around the car and tanker again. The fire starts getting closer to the firefighter and the girl. The firefighter takes off his fire-proof jacket and puts it over the girl, then covers her with his body. He suffered 70% percent burns until finally they managed to get the flames under control. The girl only recieved minor burns. As the title of the show suggests, amazing.

billybambino

Reaction score
im sure you all know RM Cpl Thomas Peck Hunter...

lake commachio, he ran across 600 yards of open ground with a bren gun to draw the german turret positions fire away from his troop, so they could go and storm the germans, which they did successfully, he was shot in the head and killed, he was awarded the victoria cross for his valiance, i think this was tremendous sacrifice and he well deserved the cross..

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is that who hunters company is named after

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Just seen 'World's Most Amazing Videos', not a soldier, but a firefighter:

A petrol tanker in America has turned over on top of a car, trapping a young girl inside. The fuel leaks all around, making a wall of fire around the girl. Firefighters manage to clear a small path through the flames, and a firefighter dashes through to the girl. The wall of flames then close around the car and tanker again. The fire starts getting closer to the firefighter and the girl. The firefighter takes off his fire-proof jacket and puts it over the girl, then covers her with his body. He suffered 70% percent burns until finally they managed to get the flames under control. The girl only recieved minor burns. As the title of the show suggests, amazing.

yehhh, saw that one. (Y)

I nominate the soldier that jumped on that grenade not to long ago (Y)

:applaus:

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah the Marine who jumped onto a grenade springs to mind, but i bet there are countless similar acts of bravery going on all the time.
And in the World Wars all the brave actions that probably never came to mention!

How are you finding the Eight Lives Down book? I read that recently and thought it was ok, if not a little heavy on the "And there was an RCIED call-out at location X, so off we go to neutralize that."

That story of the rescue was amazing though and gets the adrenaline flowing, even reading about it in England. And some f*cked up stories in there (e.g. the Iraqi man that slit his daughters throat to retain honour, the day after british squaddies decked him after seeing him harm his daughter.)

billybambino

Reaction score
to be honest, and im not trying to offend anyone, but i would rather die than live with 70% burns,

so i think hes was the most courageous act

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
im not saying who has the most corageous act of bravery *text deleted*. im just asking about ones that people have heard about.

and the book is going alright, im only at the start of it at the moment so its all good but i will see once i get into it a bit more.

one book i will suggest for everyone NOT to buy is 3 para. its absolutly bollocks, im getting so bored with it. it is basically rambling on about politics most of the time and not getting into any of the action stuff. it says on the back of the book about 3 para fighting for their lives but so far its just the bloody officers getting pissed off with living conditions and stuff. but im forcing myself to read it *text deleted*

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hehe, i found 3 PARA a better read to be honest.
I thought the politics stuff about Afghan is interesting to try and understand their culture and why the Taleban are fighting etc, and the complaining stuff from the officers was interesting to see how much the armed forces get shafted by cost-cutting and lack of supply from the top.

Had a lot of free time recently - not a full time bookworm:tongue:

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I found 3 para an interesting read, and trust me it does get going with the action later on in the platoon houses.
Ive also just bought 3 commando brigade, which is also a good read.

Commando Kennedy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thomas Peck Hunter VC..I think hunter Coy is named after him i remember a green lid talking about it, he said he put Tommo died he didnt get injured n then they wer havin a debate *text deleted*!

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I've not read 3 PARA yet but sounds interesting, I'm currently reading a book called "Helmand, Afghanistan, 3Commando Brigade" by Ewan Southby-Tailyour wich is a fantastic read, it goes in depth into each big op they were involved in, in each month of their tour, a really good insight into what its like in conflict and what the men are feeling whilest in battle. an advised read I'd say

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I bought 3PARA a while back and now can't find it, it was only £3 but that's still pissed me off =( I'm *text deleted* start reading Inside Story of a Force for the Future in a few days though. Anyone read Sniper One ?

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yeah sniper one is briliant.

thing is when i sit down to read a book it has to keep my interested all the way through, high octain, uncertainty etc most of the way is something i like, and its why i like 8 lives down so much, almost every chapter so far is action packed.
where as im finding 3 para pretty boring, it may seem a bit horrible saying this but in all honesty i dont really care about what the officers have to do, it quite frankly bores me unless they are caught in the thick of fighting and barely surviving.
i find that barefoot soldier pretty boring as well. the guy is ment to have won a VC and instead of talking about training and stuff in the army the fella is talking about when he was 8 and wanting to be a mechanic.

Liam91

Reaction score
one act of bravery i came across was the rm pti who, under fire, lifted a land rover off his oppo who was drowning n a water filled ditch. That took some doing i bet!

liam0405

Reaction score
All soliders are brave and im sure most if needed to would do anything to help out there mates

Latest posts

New Threads