Motivation workout & progress goals

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The 3mim section is used as recovery, so I run at a 5PRE and also cover about 400-450m. *text deleted* I think distance is irrelevant in this workout. The idea is just to run to those PRE levels, but using that initial distance as your bench mark will help you try and push past it. Like you said, even if it’s just 10m further.
And you’ve got a Garmin now, don’t you? So you’re tracking distance fairly accurately. Which model do you have if you don’t mind me asking?
I got you mate so in reality it’s all about the 1.30 that makes the session then?

Yeah I got a garmin now which was good timing as my phone broke the day after I got it! I got the garmin forerunner 35 best part of £140 aha
As I don’t do cycling or long distance swimming I think for what I needed was just something that told me the distance and speed i was running and could handle the constant raining Welsh weather! Ha

If you know anything about this watch that does something I don’t know of then fire away as the only things I’ve used it for is “run outdoor” and that’s it haven’t looked at anything else or what it does.

Looking at the strava pic attached I can see that the motivation is certainly there! Me personally, i prefer running along a stretch of canal or whatever is available for my faster short distances... 1.5 miler, 5k etc. I find that if you have waypoints you can check off during your run this can act as a real morale booster. At the moment i tend to really pick up the pace and push myself once i get to a certain bridge that is about 800m from the finish point. Its all in the head because when i think I'm gassed i reach that point and manage to shift and find another gear. With my mindset as the clutch and determination as my gearstick!!

My plan to further increase my speed/endurance is to get banging that interval training/sprint training, so my body can adapt and accept the fact that i'm urging it to become comfortable at that last 800m pace.

In terms of the run ill probably start picking up the pace further and further from the bridge increasing the distance between me and the finish line.

Getting comfortable with being uncomfortable is definitely a mantra i'm aiming to live by in my world of training.. !! as they say in the SAS...''he who dares wins''....! and if its a choice between achieving with pain or quitting in comfort i know which camp i would rather be in!! Keep up the hard work and youll smash those goals mate.. all the way!!
Yeah of course mate the motivation is definitely there I just believe if you track things (digitally) you can always have that bench mark to go off and it’s easier to try and improve as when I first started I would just write down my times and stuff and never knew if the distance I was doing was correct so getting a garmin watch best thing I ever did for that!
Alot of people seem to take that approach like fartlek training sprint to nearest lampost jog to next and so on etc.

What I have found tho running a route I know is say 1 mile it’s very difficult to know how fast your actually running I find especially if your trying to run for time rather than the distance this is why I got a watch so as I’m running tells you the distance like 0.87 mile and 9.08m/m and how long you been running etc so you know how long left or to speed up or not which has made a massive difference to my training indeed!

I think the last 400/800m are always going to be difficult if your trying to get a good time as you will always increase the pace at those points!
Whats your current fitness routine or time/scores *text deleted*?
Always feel free to post them on here or “your last workout” page as a lot mor experience people on here than me who can give great advice if your struggling in areas!

Johnwayne

Reaction score
I got you mate so in reality it’s all about the 1.30 that makes the session then?
For sure, but you’d be amazed how difficult trying to recover @ 5PRE is. Your HR stays fairly high because you’re still moving at about 12mm
Great workout for sure

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
For sure, but you’d be amazed how difficult trying to recover @ 5PRE is. Your HR stays fairly high because you’re still moving at about 12mm
Great workout for sure
I do need to do middle sprint sessions so I’ll stick with my routine for a few weeks and see how I do with the mile workouts then I’ll start adding in what you suggested as it’s always good to keep mixing it up!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mattys Motivation Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 0
Griff149 Motivation General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 31
D Motivation with school Parents & Partners 10