Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Motivation

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Griff149, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Griff149

Griff149 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi Gents,

Thought I would do a post and see how other people are getting on with motivation and their training for joining in light of the current circumstances?

With gyms being closed and all PRMC’s cancelled until further notice, it would be interesting to hear how other people are doing? I am sure some people must be finding it hard.

I personally find when I have a date to work towards an event, that gives me that extra push, and whilst I appreciate uncertainty is within the nature of military life, these are particularly unique times.

I have struggled in the last couple of months with shin splints so when running became my only CV option it was a bit difficult and slightly demoralising at times. Plodding away however with what I can and determined not to give up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rover

Rover Moderator

motivation..jpg
    :):):)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

What? Finding it hard? They need to get a grip, adapt and be proactive in maximising all available training opportunites.

Some vulnerable individuals in our communities genuinely need support but the rest of us perhaps need to avoid stepping into the ghastly daytime TV environment of these 'strange, uncertain and worrying' times. -vomit-

I'm not having a dig at you; merely grumbling about the relentless sad sack, defeatist and 'woe-is-me' drivel being propagated by the media.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Griff149

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Yes I agree it’s important to adapt training now. I’m a personal trainer by day so that’s slightly easier for me but for some with limited resources I can imagine it is more difficult but I do take your point. I’m just thankful for the scaffolding up against my flats for pull ups!

I agree entirely about the media however - become a bit too depressing to even tune in to the daily briefings now!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

@Griff149 shin splints suck! Wish you the best with that!
    I’d say it’s made my workouts more creative, and probably more conducive to a PRMC pass.

Running on the beach has honestly been really nice, something I never thought to do until now.

As they say, every obstacle is an opportunity... Seize the opportunity and make the most of it... more time to get fit, learn about the RMs, learn new skills etc.

It’s all a matter of perspective; there are no doubt a great number of people who will lose almost all they have due to this virus, let us be grateful we are (hopefully) not them.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  6. Griff149

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Thanks - they were fine until I bought a fancy new pair of running shoes and it set them off really bad! It’s been a tricky few months actually which was annoying as my running was really starting to come on. I’ve kept up the CV using other equipment and actually have a rowing machine in the living room of my one bed flat at the moment so I can crack on during lockdown! That being said, did manage a slow 3 miler the other day with little to no pain.

How’s your training going? When are you hoping to attend a PRMC?

I 100% agree on the training bit! I’ve been doing a lot of conditioning EMOM’s with bodyweight exercises which I can imagine would help with any prolonged ‘beastings’.

Glad to hear your training is going well.

7. Harry McRunFast

@Griff149 just take it easy on them, no need to rush it and make it worse!

I was meant to have my PRMC fairly soon however it’s been cancelled. Such is life!

In my very limited experience at an RMAD, with an RMR holding troop, and through reading - cardio is everything!

• Like Like x 1
  8. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

Your a personal trainer , yet are :eek:struggling with CV work because of shin splints REALLY! !! Guys who want to join the marines should be relishing this period as loads of time to train and even with no formal kit loads of things can be used to overcome this just some creative thought required , COVID 19 is absolutely no excuse-banghead- if anything the opposite is the case​

• Nailed It Nailed It x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Griff149

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I have been doing mostly ok however some things are limited.

Yes I agree the extra time to train for PRMC is helpful and as you suggest still lots you can do.

10. Gstars

Gstars New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Out of interest how long does it take you to run 3 miles?

11. Harry McRunFast

BABB314E-F437-4945-A7D0-46D961B50B06.jpeg
    For anyone struggling, here’s something I made at the beginning of the lockdown. It’s called a ‘pig egg’. An idea I pinched from an American YouTube channel.

Essentially it’s a few bags-for-life filled with gravel from my drive way, covered with a tonne of duct tape. You can make them any weight you want, and can shape them too! Mine is a hair over 20kg. Perfect for use in a circuit as it’s very robust.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  12. Griff149

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Great idea mate - nice improv!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

Do you want to join the elite? Pit yourself against the toughest military course in the world? Be at the very centre of the action? The Corps selects the officers and ORs who have the fitness, determination and mental robustness for service as commandos. If you can’t summons some backbone then sod off and join as a sailor. You will require the highest levels of self-discipline and motivation to pass. If you are struggling now to find motivation how will you fare clearing a stoppage on the gimpy in 3 inches of snow. How will you keep fit if at sea? How will you carry your mate if they go down in action? Get a bloody grip lad!

Aye

Pete

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  14. Griff149

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    All fair points. To clarify, I’m cracking on with my training as usual and doing what I need to to ensure I can pass PRMC, hopefully with no major hiccups and first time.

This post was just intended to see how other people are getting on, not to suggest that I am feeling sorry for myself, which seems by the responses to be how it’s come across.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

Good lad.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    ‘If anything this is the best possible time anyone can get fit with the amount of time on their hands.
    I also have scaffolding currently going right around the house but that’s a blessing in disguise if anything as I’ve connected my resisted bands to the tubes and using the window sill for leverage to help with my pullups.
    Also with the scaffolding as I have been doing you could use it as a climbing frame or as you see on prmc videos where they pull across the ropes you could replicate that .
    I’m not sure if your close to any beaches but I’m blessed in that regard as there’s several around me as I live on the coast but you could take do swimming in the sea which would help with your shin splints?
    I was at the beach yesterday on my rest day just to chill out and see if anything cool washed up on the beach as you do! And I came across a biggish log (not that kind!) and I thought it was the perfect size/weight to help with bodyweight squats and just strength training in general , so what ended up meaning to me a rest day I ended up carrying that log a mile and a half to the car park to take home.
    Take this time you have as a blessing really you can make exercise of anything to get better!
    Ohh and this was me preparing for drago.

Attached Files:

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  17. Griff149

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Good idea with the scaffolding, although not sure what my neighbours in the other flats would think if they saw me scaling it haha!

Sadly I don’t live close to a beach but I’m lucky enough to have a concept rower I can use to keep up with the phys and also managed to borrow a barbell with a decent amount of plates to keep me ticking over. On the most part I’m not too impacted in terms of what I can do, and being forced to do some of the bodyweight conditioning circuits I think will actually be beneficial in the long term.

18. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Yer not sure about climbing the scaffolding mate. Wait for mountain training, where you'll get looked by the Corps after if you fall -nailbiting-

• Like Like x 2
  19. JoeJitsu94

JoeJitsu94 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yes! I work 60 hour weeks and trying to find the motivation to prepare for PRMC can be a struggle but crack on anyway, but since being furloughed, no excuses and I’m loving it. Pure phys daily, even the missus has been getting involved *text deleted*

• Like Like x 1
  20. ItsOnlyMe

ItsOnlyMe New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The only question here should be... what are you by night??o_O

Attached Files:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3