Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Motivation

Discussion in 'General Archives' started by john lewis, Jun 16, 2015.

1. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Just wondering what motivates other lads to join? For me it's the chance to actually make a difference with my life and push myself to the best I can possibly be, being proud of myself in a way

2. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm exactly the same, the possibility that life can be the way I want it to be and that I can work hard and Earn it, and that I can be Proud of myself for knowing that I either Passed Out fighting or I Failed fighting - even though I know which one I want more.

3. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    finally got a reply!!! Yeah mate exactly how I feel and I don't think I'll ever be happy in a regular job

• Like Like x 2
  4. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Haha I hate that, posts being left bare for ages =P

God no, I cant imagine me being in an office all day for the rest of my life, I'd jump out the window!!

I want to be able to at least have a good story for people before I croke.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sy_lume

sy_lume Royal Marines Commando

looking and talking to people at work and realising how much i dont want to be like them in years to come stuck in a dead end job helps:D

• Like Like x 9
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    For me as i've just turned 18 a big motivator is that i want a stable, long lasting career that i am passionate about so that i can enjoy the rest of my life, not look back and say i wish i had done something better, pushed myself more and actually achieve something great.

Also there was a thread exactly like this made on the 9th July.

http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/what-keeps-you-motivated.81712/#post-521876

• Like Like x 1
  7. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That's the thing I wouldn't want to realise one day that I didn't live a fulfilled life.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    One thing I love about training is that moment you hit your physical pain barrier, that wall where every fibre of your being wants you to stop, -banghead- I love that because then the real training begins!! =P

You just get to that moment where you decide I'm not stopping and I sure as hell wont walk home knowing I could have pushed that bit farther. Might feel completely destroyed but if you know you can keep going even if you want to stop, why not meet your full ability?

Another thing that really puts a bit of snap in my step is before I decided I want a career in the Royal Marines, my girlfriends dad turned around and said "If you don't try anything you'll be a loser all your life, its cowardly not to try anything"

So I said right, I wasn't raised like that, I'll show you.

That's not why I decided but it really helped me make my decision.

Train for you, Prove the Haters WRONG.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. DaveAFC13

DaveAFC13 New Member

Always wanted a role in the infantry but after meeting Royal Marines and researching them figured they were the best so wanted to join them.

Main motivation is to leave this world a better place than I found it, figured people who can go from handing out aid to building flood defences to taking out bad guys can help make things better.

Also want to challenge myself and not be in a career where I sit in an office all day and don't want to look back in 10-20 years and say "I wish I'd done that".

10. Rawsh

Rawsh New Member

Because the money is so good! :confused:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Pingedsole

Pingedsole Well-Known Member

I always think about telling your kids about what you have done in your life.

Starting with 'I used to be/am a Royal Marine Commando' would get their attention I feel.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  12. TTT

TTT New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    To be part of something greater than myself. An opportunity to balance things out and do some some good. For every evil there must be good. Surely standing up to protect what is right is good.

Why RM? It's the challenge, I guess? But more importantly you know every man beside you is of the same quality and mindset and willing to give 100% for the team. Yeah, the focus on developing that commando mindset/mental strength is pretty attractive.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Proximo

Proximo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    The fear of going through my life as someone who once 'wanted to join the Royal Marines', told everyone he was going to be a royal Marine, but didn't and has instead settled for a mediocre job and mediocre life and all the invented excuses for this.

The desire to serve with the Royal Marines and be part of its history and traditions, and to serve alongside people with similar ambitions, attitudes, etc.

The challange of doing something extremely tough, that requires I be the best version of myself, and something that the majority of people look at as unfavourable or not worth the effot.

To be one of those guys people turn to for help. The military, police, fire and rescue, medical staff, etc, all in my opinion exist as a tier of society that depends on the best and demands the best of the best.

The opportunities. Whether to serve abroad in a war or MOOTW, or to take part in events at home, and travel and sport, etc.

The rise above society and my peers expect of me.

Dad and grandad were Paras and pther Grandad was a Guardsman. They have all passed asay, but they were all respected throughout their lives and bekonged to that second family. All recieved a 'Final salute' at their funerals from people who served with them. So a family tradition to serve that I can see the benefits of.

Military history geek. Something about being a professional soldier, partocularly a British soldier.

Because there are a lot of 'known unknowns' that both terrify and excite me. I can read so much in books and on here and hear first hand accounts, but I don't truly know until I do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. TTT

TTT New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Great post Proximo. Solid reasoning all round. I guess there is just a type of person.

Part of me has felt that I am lucky to have such great life experiences in the civilian world but as each year ticks on i'm losing my chance to become the best Royal Marine I could be. A good example is the Officer entry upper age limit is 25. So it's funny to think, that at 25 i'd start to consider myself to be getting too old for something!

Also, i'm almost a little ashamed to admit that having left the application process a year ago to pursue an exciting working contract overseas I felt this a lot. Strangely enough no one has challenged me about my choice not to join. I think if we are set in our minds that we want to do become a Royal Marine then we place this extra pressure upon ourselves.

If you're wondering what my status is re joining RM, i'm finishing up that work contract and in conversation with the AFCO to pick up where I left off.