Motorbikes

ryan354

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, bit of a random topic but I have seen it come up a few times in other threads and rather than hijack peoples original question I thought I would see what people have to say on here, so....

Who's interested or absolutely loves motorbikes and if so what do you have, how old are you, how long have you been riding etc and will you be continuing your passion if you get in to the corps ?:rally_drive:

Ryan

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Big bike fan here. Been riding a CBR400RR import for over 3 years, and have been going to all the MotoGP, most of the WSBK and some of the BSB races since a young age.

Probably something to do with the fact that nearly every male member of my family has a bike. My Dad has the task of looking after her when I start training!

DD

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
When I'm 17 in May I'm hoping to get a bike instead of a car partly due to the fact that everyone in my entire year has a car and they seem more economically viable to me. The only downside of having a bike I guess, is that anyday you take it on the road there is that risk of death or worse being a vegetable.

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When I'm 17 in May I'm hoping to get a bike instead of a car partly due to the fact that everyone in my entire year has a car and they seem more economically viable to me. The only downside of having a bike I guess, is that anyday you take it on the road there is that risk of death or worse being a vegetable.
Thats the big off putting factor, I don't think I would ever get a bike, my mate had a bike for about 2 years and has been in about 6 crashes, luckily the worst he came off was a broken leg, now he's got a car, I think he was too shook up after the last one. Not digging at bikes or bike users at all, but you are safer in Afganistan.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I wouldn't say being in Afghanistan is safer than riding a bike! Unless I've completely missed the sarcasm.

People tend to think bikes are death traps, but I would argue that it depends entirely on how you ride them - 6 crashes in 2 years says something about that! If people drive cars as fast as some people ride bikes then they wold be just as likely to get hurt.

Cars to me are a way of getting from A to B, bikes journeys on the other hand usually finish in the same place they started!

Ryan11

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
also a massive bike fan, 20 not been riding since i was 16 and started on an aprillian 50cc, (cheeky unrestricted bike) and loved it.

everyone in my family rides and dads a racer, *text deleted* raced a few times on a ZXR400, - Unbelievable experience.

not raced since i had a decent sized crash but wasn't injured, was more the bike than myself... itching to get back out this year or next, depending on my corps commitments. exciting times!

Ryan

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't say being in Afghanistan is safer than riding a bike! Unless I've completely missed the sarcasm.

People tend to think bikes are death traps, but I would argue that it depends entirely on how you ride them - 6 crashes in 2 years says something about that! If people drive cars as fast as some people ride bikes then they wold be just as likely to get hurt.

Cars to me are a way of getting from A to B, bikes journeys on the other hand usually finish in the same place they started!
No sarcastic undertones. There is about 700 ish motorcyclist deaths a year x11 = 7,700 deaths since 2001. British troops died in Afganistan= 404 since 2001.

If their were as many troops that have been sent to afghanistan as bike users the amount of deaths would be about 5,000. 2,000ish under bike deaths. These are rough estimates based of found figures, don't take as 100% true/accurate but they will be damn similar.

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Or we can go on all coalition numbers. There has been more troops sent in total than bike users in the UK and a total of 2,841 deaths, less than the bike users which is an average of 7,000, as worked out a minute ago, since 2001.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I really don't think you can compare these numbers and say that Afghanistan is safer than riding a bike. It's not as simple as comparing numbers of deaths; they are completely different mediums.

Granted, to ride a bike you're only required to take a small amount of training and a test and can potentially ride a 180+ BHP, but a sensible rider will be aware, read the road and keep the speed down; leaving any potential accident down to chance; just like driving a car.

On the other hand, despite the military providing extensive training and huge amounts of support on the line, troops are still short distances from men hell-bent on killing them in any way possible,. I would say they are far less in control of their safety. Not only that, but particular areas are more dangerous than others and the number of life-threatening injuries would be more intense.

The bottom line: it's all down to the rider. If you ride safe, crashes are no more likely than driving a car. Much the same as if a soldier decided to go it alone for the buzz, rather than operating in a relatively safe troop, the number of deaths would be much higher.

Now let's get back to topic, anyone else got a 2-wheeled wonder?

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I really don't think you can compare these numbers and say that Afghanistan is safer than riding a bike. It's not as simple as comparing numbers of deaths; they are completely different mediums.

Granted, to ride a bike you're only required to take a small amount of training and a test and can potentially ride a 180+ BHP, but a sensible rider will be aware, read the road and keep the speed down; leaving any potential accident down to chance; just like driving a car.

On the other hand, despite the military providing extensive training and huge amounts of support on the line, troops are still short distances from men hell-bent on killing them in any way possible,. I would say they are far less in control of their safety. Not only that, but particular areas are more dangerous than others and the number of life-threatening injuries would be more intense.

The bottom line: it's all down to the rider. If you ride safe, crashes are no more likely than driving a car. Much the same as if a soldier decided to go it alone for the buzz, rather than operating in a relatively safe troop, the number of deaths would be much higher.

Now let's get back to topic, anyone else got a 2-wheeled wonder?
Not wanting to keep it off topic, but it is in a way down to the rider but the majority of motorbike accidents are inevitable, just because of the nature of bikes, they are small, harder to see, very fast and have no protection. Anyway back on topic!

Gump

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
love motorbikes, currently riding a cbf 125 which is massive fun as dont have much use for a bigger bike at the moment but rode my friends cbr 600rr and was the most scary and fun thing *text deleted** ever done

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I have to agree, sitting on a bike will never be quite a safe as being in a nice, strong cage, but quite a lot of accidents can be perceived beforehand.

The most common is probably other cars pulling out because, as you mentioned, bikes are harder to see. But I was taught (and do put into practice) to slow down upon seeing a car approach a junction. Then hopefully the rider has enough distance to stop if the car pulls out.

Strangely, I've had more cars pull out when I've been in the car than when riding, unless I forget to put my lights on or something...

ryan354

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Big bike fan here. Been riding a CBR400RR import for over 3 years, and have been going to all the MotoGP, most of the WSBK and some of the BSB races since a young age.

Probably something to do with the fact that nearly every male member of my family has a bike. My Dad has the task of looking after her when I start training!

Pock, I didnt know Honda did a 400, Im looking to get my full licence within the next 2 months and am looking at either getting a Kawasaki Ninja 250 or a suzuki SV650 but if Honda do a 400 I may consider that. I have a CBR 125 at the moment and love it, just need something a tad faster now along with use of the motorways.

And John, what bike were you thinking of getting, bikes are so much cheaper. To put it in perspective, my friend put me on his car insurance whilst he went to the states for 5 weeks and what I payed in one month for car fuel would have covered 2 (potentially just over) on my bike and he only has a 1.0 Corsa. I will admit bikes are a bit more risky especially in wet weather etc but I have come off three times now and you certainly learn from it and it makes you so much more alert than drivers so the hazard perception you obtain compensates for the risk slightly. Not to mention that even on a 125 you can pull away from almost any boy racer quicker even if they do have an exhaust that sounds like dirt lodged in a hair dryer, must be embarrasing to see the back of an L plate :smile:

ryan354

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
also a massive bike fan, 20 not been riding since i was 16 and started on an aprillian 50cc, (cheeky unrestricted bike) and loved it.

everyone in my family rides and dads a racer, *text deleted* raced a few times on a ZXR400, - Unbelievable experience.

not raced since i had a decent sized crash but wasn't injured, was more the bike than myself... itching to get back out this year or next, depending on my corps commitments. exciting times!

Ryan

How did your dad get in to racing ? Have to say the thought that there are so many riders wanting to join the corps is awesome. Quite exciting to think that if you actually get through training etc there will be people to go out riding with :racer:

Gump

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i think they stopped making the cbr 400 in 93 or 94

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Pock, I didnt know Honda did a 400, Im looking to get my full licence within the next 2 months and am looking at either getting a Kawasaki Ninja 250 or a suzuki SV650 but if Honda do a 400 I may consider that. I have a CBR 125 at the moment and love it, just need something a tad faster now along with use of the motorways.
They haven't made them since the 90's, they're basically miniature super bikes designed for the Japanese market (in the 90's, Japanese teenagers were restricted to 400CC, rather than a specific power), but there are plenty around: Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha all have models built for the same purpose.

It depends what you want from the bike. The Ninja and SV are both more of a sports-tourer with higher handlebars and more comfort. Most of the Japanese import 400's are based on sports bikes and so have low handlebars, full fairing and cause considerable bum-ache after a while! Good fun all the same.

Gump

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Honda actually produced the CBR400 up to 99, but I dont think there were any spec changes after 95/96. I have a 94 model, registered here in 96.
i stand corrected haha, very nice bikes wouldnt mind having one if i could find one thats decent enough condition

ryan354

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I just looked at one and they look like absolutely awesome bikes. I wouldnt mind a racing bike (handlebars down, back side in the air) but havnt found any affordable 400 / 600 sports bikes but The ninja or SV are still lovely. If I can save up I wouldnt mind a BMW Sports series one day.

Speaking of kit etc, do any of you know any good places to get an affordable bike sat nav and casual protective clothing like jeans and jackets etc ? Also do any of you use full leathers etc ?

Chrisswan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you cant compare the deaths in afghan to deaths on bikes as it doesnt take into consideration of wounded. i wouldnt say riding a bike is any less safe than driving a car, if you have a crash in a car your trapped, what will you do if it catches on fire? but if you crash on a bike obviously you will go down the road.

*text deleted** been riding sice i was 16 started from mopen to a 125 now a 600 gsf bandit and i love it