Movie - Act of Valour

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I saw this movie the other night. Proclaimed itself to be very realistic and had current serving US Navy SEALs acting in it. . . . .

As expected I found the storyline to be seriously lacking, but that was not why I went to see it. At the beginning there is a message saying ".....based on real operations, although the story is fictional the weapons and tactics are real."

Anyone else seen it? Have opinions?

I will put myself out there at risk for a slamming, but I quite liked it. I could imagine it being realistic (of course I can?t know), albeit a little Hollywood-iesd. . . . .

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I saw it a few nights ago.

The action itself was pretty realistic and the scene where they attack the Indonesian camp, followed by hot exfil into the river was pretty awesome.

Otherwise, the way they interacted with each other was so unnatural, their lines being of the perfect patriotic American soldiers. The military speak was articulated realllyy clearly and unnaturally, which I suppose most of the audience would appreciate.

It was entertaining, but could easily be seen as a nice recruitment tool for the US military.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Might see this film at the weekend, I'm in the mood for some hung-ho action scenes so this looks like the perfect film for that.

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Certainly want to watch it, but I don't our cinema is getting it. :S

Anyway, the reviews seem good. The Times described the acting as wooden, but thats to be expected from soldiers nor actors. Duncan Faulkner also threw his two pence in and said he enjoyed the authenticity. He said you could tell they were soldiers, not actors on account of small things like all pockets and pouches done up at all times, rifle barrel raiser constantly (rather than the up down and waving it all about so often seen).

If the Times (usually very harsh on action movies) and an ex-SBS operator rate it then it's certainly worth the time!

Baron

Reaction score
Watched it this morning, all in all, not a good film. Some decent scenes, but they were few and far between. 21 Jump Street on the other hand was excellent, go and see it!

To us, and those like us, damn few.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Anyway, the reviews seem good. The Times described the acting as wooden, but thats to be expected from soldiers nor actors. Duncan Faulkner also threw his two pence in and said he enjoyed the authenticity. He said you could tell they were soldiers, not actors on account of small things like all pockets and pouches done up at all times, rifle barrel raiser constantly (rather than the up down and waving it all about so often seen).

If the Times (usually very harsh on action movies) and an ex-SBS operator rate it then it's certainly worth the time!
Duncan Falconer*

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Duncan Falconer*

Thank you! I'm reading the book and knew it wasn't right!

I've been doing accounts all morning for a company called Faulkner Fisheries. Severe brain drain!

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Obsessed with this film for 6 months or so after a known SEAL put it on facebook, absolutely loved it. Storyline was a bit dire but really think the SEALs pulled acting off.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
There must be a PERSEC issue with using active service SEALs in a film, surely?

Kentish

Reaction score
There must be a PERSEC issue with using active service SEALs in a film, surely?
I forget the actual term, but I think they have the equivalent of "Commando Display Team".

I remember seeing David Goggins on a documentary sporting a T-shirt which was repping the title etc.

Plus.
1. They're American, not scared of no one.
2. They killed Bin Laden, say suttin'.
3. They're American.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Yep entierly agree, on the whole as a movie not great. However it was entertaining and I like the less Hollywood style it adopted.

I would reccomend watching, even just out of interest.

DD

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Does this film not go against the culture of 'hush hush' that all SF units have? Haven't seen it, but it won't probably change my mind on Booties, UKSF, Aussie Commandoes and Aussie SF being the best over those spams.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Does this film not go against the culture of 'hush hush' that all SF units have? Haven't seen it, but it won't probably change my mind on Booties, UKSF, Aussie Commandoes and Aussie SF being the best over those spams.
Yes it does in a way, but equally it can be seen as propoganda, like a scare tactic. . . . . . "hey look what we can do" sort of thing.

Very different cultures between UK and US SF I'm guessing though.

SEALs have always had a lot more "publicity" than other SF units.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for the essay:

The PERSEC issue isn't a big one here. Don Shipley, the SEAL I mentioned in the first post, was asked about it on facebook and he said that SEALs' identities aren't too important. Their full names aren't in the film but he said "we're not James Bond!"

BUD/S literally takes place on a public beach, SEALs are obvious in Afghan because they walk around with beards, wear multicams and sometimes even have Trident patches on their kit. Other patches are known SEAL ones as well. Many go as far as having the Trident or other recognisable features (A Frog's skeleton, for example) tattooed.
DevGru will stay secret but the yanks have a different outlook on most of their SoF and this is seen as a great recruiting drive, hence why the US DoD part-funded the film.

We as Brits find it hard to comprehend but apparently many SEALs are quite open about it. They're not boasters - even the rowdiest ones have the typical modesty of every elite force - but end up in a conversation with one and he may be quite open about his job. This is one of Don's hobbies/passions - finding the walts who take advantage of this opportunity to lie, and outing them online.

For those wishing to verify Don Shipley - youtube him. His vids are full of photos of his service days. He was good mates with Mack from Future Weapons. He runs a SEAL Experience course at his home in Virginia (the reason I have him on fb is that I'm saving to go out there for a few weeks)

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Wasnt awake for the second half of the film so i couldn't comment :weird: