Moving back to England, need moving advice...

Ninja-to

Reaction score
I'm scheduled for my PRMC for April. I'm moving back home from Japan after years living abroad. I can stay with family for a bit, but the question is, how long?

Mainly, let's say I pass the PRMC. Do I still need a place to live? Should I plan to be living with relatives while training? After training?

I have an idea but need to be a bit more concrete. I guess I'd be living on base, but if so, when does that start?

In other words:

What do I tell my relatives? How long do they need to put up with my leeching (assuming I pass the PRMC)? :P

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hiya mate

all going according to plan and passing prmc then its normally about 4-6wks between passing prmc and entering RT.
However with living outside the uk for so long you'll probably need a residencey waiver, which cant be obtained till its confirmed you've passed prmc (ninja_stoker will correct if i'm wrong), this could mean you have to wait a little longer unfortunately ...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, Shiloh is spot on with regard passing PRMC to entry. Have you actually made an application & been confirmed as eligible to apply I wonder?

Generally speaking you need to speak/communicate with the overseas desk at London AFCO to confirm whether you are eligible to apply first. (Apologies if you already have). Usually you need to have resided in UK for the last 5 years if you have lived in a non-Commonwealth country, unless the Overseas Desk have advised you otherwise & said a waiver is possible.

Residency waivers, if you're eligible for one, normally add another 4 weeks to the time a standard Security Clearance takes to process.

You live in Lympstone during Recruit Training, from day one of training, but will need somewhere to live during leave periods (6 weeks per year). Again, after training you can again choose to live on barracks or in private rented, or owned accommodation.

Good luck.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I already did a security clearance check (at least I filled out all the forms) while over here in Japan. My PRMC date has already been set for April 10th and everything seems ok so far.

So I'm assuming it takes about 2 months or so, if all is well. Ok I'll let them know.

Maybe my family can put up with me for 6 weeks a year. Is that 6 weeks in a lump or how does that work? Probably a few weeks for Christmas and then other days are spread out maybe.

With the private, rented or owned accommodation, is that organized through the Navy?

*text deleted*Very off topic but...

I'm doing my training, mostly running, press-ups, sit-ups etc. Can do 80 sit-ups and 51 (working on it) press-ups non stop, so I think I've got enough time to catch up before April. Running is worrying me a bit though. I can run about 8km but slow, takes about 43 minutes. I find that whenever I run my muscles are aching every time. Is it over-training to work out muscles that are still sore? I've heard a lot about the most common mistake people make is over-training and with the PRMC coming up in a little while I don't *text deleted* make silly mistakes. Any advice on that? As crazy as it sounds I've even been having bad dreams about it! I think the upcoming date is putting pressure on me. I don't know what I'll do if I don't make it in. I'm turning my whole life upside down on a chance at joining. I'm having to move from Japan, sell all my things and ask for relatives to support me while I try. A lot is riding on this.

RC

Reaction score
Alright Mate.

How long have you been training ( Running ) ?
How often do you run and what sort of distances ?
Are you warming up / cooling down correctly ?

Rich.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Hi Rich

I've been running/training for about 6 months at least. I usually run 3 times a week or more but should probably be doing it more often. I think that may be my problem. Each time I run until I'm burned out. Since about December I usually run 7km - 8km (about 45 mins), on other days (like today) I try to speed things up at a shorter distance and I go for about 2km in 9.5 mins. For warming up I basically just stretch and loosen up a bit then start the run. Not sure if that's correct or not.

-John

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
...I already did a security clearance check (at least I filled out all the forms) while over here in Japan. My PRMC date has already been set for April 10th and everything seems ok so far.

...Maybe my family can put up with me for 6 weeks a year. Is that 6 weeks in a lump or how does that work? Probably a few weeks for Christmas and then other days are spread out maybe.

...With the private, rented or owned accommodation, is that organized through the Navy?

Good news, my apologies, didn't realise you'd progressed that far already.

The leave is usually taken roughly (very!) 2 weeks each at around Xmas, Easter & Summer (Aug).

The only outside accommodation the Navy will arrange is Married Quarters (if you're married & your partner intends living with you adjacent to wherever you're based). Otherwise, you have to find your own accommodation if that's what you want or the RM has barrack accommodation available for you.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
(Edited) Hmm hold on, I didn't say that right.

It's not my PRMC but my interview that has been set up. I did send back all the security clearance forms though, but not sure if that's the same thing as what you were talking about. Arg. Sorry wrote my posts very late (early) over here.

Ok clear on the accommodation part now. Thanks a lot guys.

Before I click 'Send' on this email to my relatives, does this sound about right?

Assuming all goes well:

April 10th, interview, medical check up following week etc.
PRMC, probably around late April or early May.
Paperwork and getting me into RT, best guess is anywhere from the end of May to sometime in July.

That sound about right?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
July or Sept possibly may be a more realistic expectation for entry if you've yet to sit the Recruiting Test & are sitting it in mid April, assuming you are 100% fit & ready.

Good luck

RC

Reaction score
Hi Rich

I've been running/training for about 6 months at least. I usually run 3 times a week or more but should probably be doing it more often. I think that may be my problem. Each time I run until I'm burned out. Since about December I usually run 7km - 8km (about 45 mins), on other days (like today) I try to speed things up at a shorter distance and I go for about 2km in 9.5 mins. For warming up I basically just stretch and loosen up a bit then start the run. Not sure if that's correct or not.

-John

3 times a week should be fine at this stage, as long as you do some other form of cardio to supplement your running on the days you don't run.

Running till you are burn't out each time you run isn't the best way to improve. By all means beast yourself once or twice a week, but recognise that the harder the session the more recovery will be required. For now, I would try 1 interval session a week (e.g 4-5 x 400M)and 2 other runs, possibly a 3 miler (1.5 mile steady away / 1.5 mile fast) and a 4 miler at moderate pace. You could then add some other cardio on the days between runs, such as swimming, cycling, rowing, crosstrainer etc. See if this reduces the soreness - you can always increase distances / reps / frequency etc as you see fit.

Warming up - Basically it's just a case of gradually increasing your body temp / HR to prepare you for the session ( aim for at least 5 mins, preferable more ). So start off say walking at a fast (ish) pace, then in to a gentle jog, throw a few side steps in, touch the groung, jump in the air, run backwards, throw in some mobilisation exercises, couple of press ups, sit-ups, squats, tuck jumps etc and a couple of short sprints and you're ready to go.

Warming down - the opposite of warming up, gradually reduce you body temp / HR - Followed by stretching.

Post workout nutrition is also very important and could be a factor in the soreness - Try googling post workout nutrition.

Hope this helps.

Rich.

Ninja-to

Reaction score
3 times a week should be fine at this stage, as long as you do some other form of cardio to supplement your running on the days you don't run.

Running till you are burn't out each time you run isn't the best way to improve. By all means beast yourself once or twice a week, but recognise that the harder the session the more recovery will be required. For now, I would try 1 interval session a week (e.g 4-5 x 400M)and 2 other runs, possibly a 3 miler (1.5 mile steady away / 1.5 mile fast) and a 4 miler at moderate pace. You could then add some other cardio on the days between runs, such as swimming, cycling, rowing, crosstrainer etc. See if this reduces the soreness - you can always increase distances / reps / frequency etc as you see fit.

Warming up - Basically it's just a case of gradually increasing your body temp / HR to prepare you for the session ( aim for at least 5 mins, preferable more ). So start off say walking at a fast (ish) pace, then in to a gentle jog, throw a few side steps in, touch the groung, jump in the air, run backwards, throw in some mobilisation exercises, couple of press ups, sit-ups, squats, tuck jumps etc and a couple of short sprints and you're ready to go.

Warming down - the opposite of warming up, gradually reduce you body temp / HR - Followed by stretching.

Post workout nutrition is also very important and could be a factor in the soreness - Try googling post workout nutrition.

Hope this helps.

Rich.

Wow lots to think about. Thanks a lot for that. I'll definitely try that advice. It's a bit of a relief to know I don't need to run 5 days a week to be honest! I'll work on warming up (and down) better as well.

Great to have a site like this to get advice!