Moving on(Army)

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Hyperhippo, May 4, 2018.

1. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Evening all,

Just thought I’d offer an update on myself as well as to say thankyou to the members, frequent and those who rarely come on, for all their advice. Weather it’s a direct reply or something someone said on a thread from 2,5, 10 years ago, this forum really is a goldmine and I hope it continues long into the future.

So, what’s been going on then? After having a couple of injuries whilst preparing for the Royal Marines (going back to 2015) I started to research other career options whilst recovering, I’ve looked at everything and done as much research on the jobs that caught my fancy as I could have done. I have been drawn towards various units in the British Army and therefore have started an application for it. Passing out and going to your first unit with a trade or a specific skill is what I want. The passion I had for a green lid when I was a 16 year old itching to leave school just isn’t there anymore. Being 19 now I have a clearer understanding of what I want out of life and I feel this is best perused through the British Army. I’m after a long career, not a short stint just to say “I’ve done it”, and that’s no disrespect to the guys that do, that’s just how I feel.

Things are looking pretty good for me, I’ve just come back from ADSC today and with the scores I got on the various mental tests and the physical tests, my interviewer said to me that I could go for any job so that is certainly something to think about before I confirm my start date.

I will always hold the Royal Marines in the highest of regards and hats off to everyone that makes it past PRMC and into and beyond RT. Ill stick around offering advice and chipping in here and there, but for now that’s me and I’m off to smash a dominos.

• Like Like x 12
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Well done on passing ADSC and the very best of luck in the Army. What part of the Army are you thinking of joining or still undecided?

As an active contributor on here it is a great pity you are not joining the Royal Marines but their loss is the Army's gain. I sincerely hope you continue to feel a very welcome and remain a contributor on the forum and update us on your progress and the benefit of your experiences.

The Army Navy Rugby match tomorrow, or rather the off the pitch peripheral activities and comradeship witnessed at Twickenham fully demonstrates how close the Army and Navy really are in outlook and ethos.

Best of luck and well done!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Imperator13

Imperator13 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Good luck on which ever path your take mate, you don’t have to have a Green Lid to be a great solider.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I had to Google this to understand it but that's just me being a fuddster. :(

Is there any particular trade that attracts you? Keep an open mind about Army career paths. The Army is big and career opportunities—particularly for technical gubbins—are diverse.

Let us know how you get on. And best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Thanks guys,

I’m interested in Surveillance and Target and Aquisition as well as Air Defence which are both done by the Royal Artillery. Also Bricklayer and Carpenter/Joiner in the Royal Engineers which I consider to be a bit more transferable to civvy street as opposed to the first two. With both the RA and RE there is the opportunity to serve alongside 3cdo brigade, but who knows, one step at a time and I’ll see where I’m at at the end of Phase 2.

Of course when my interviewer told me I could go for any job it definately got me thinking and will have another look around, but I’m fairly set on the above roles.

• Like Like x 2
  6. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

My advice for what it’s worth!! Be 100% sure of what you want prior to the start of the process. Army recruiters are masters at filling shortages. You may want to be a carpenter, but end up being a chef. Then wondering how that happened. Do your research, be sure of the trade you want, and be in control of your recruitment process. Oh and good luck.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Listen to arny there just remember what happened to stringer09 is it? He wanted para on his initial interview they asked what his 1.5 was he was a little over the required standard before he even did his pfa at adsc and convinced him to go Guards platoon as they are in need of more new starts.
    Go for what you want, I was offered tank reg and clark over Para they try it on

• Like Like x 3
  8. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Dont listen to everyting the recruiter says as above they do lie to fill slots.
    They got me to change to infantry and i regret it now nearly 4 years into serving and hopefully will be transferring soon

From personal experience alot of blokes i know who ended up with a careers posting usually are blokes who tried signing off and got offered the post to stay in. So keep that in mind too

• Like Like x 2
  9. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

Fiji really do set the bar :D

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    As ever, sage advice from Arny. Do your homework and be absolutely clear where you want to end up. If you stick to your guns the AFCO will guide you through the process and enable your career choice. The AFCOs do have priorities for manning but those ending up in the 'wrong' part of the Army are those who have not done their research and are easily swayed during a short interview. If this happens to you, it is probably your own fault.
    Bottom line - decide what you want to do, stick to your guns and do not allow yourself to be sidetracked. Best of luck!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

As said above, it's your own fault if you're swayed to join another part of the Army. Keep that strong and focused mindset and don't listen to the ol' "if you join this reg instead you'll be in the Army a lot sooner" etc. etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    "Join the infantry for a few years and you can easily transfer to a corps having learned good infanteer skills"
    Reality your ours now lets make it very hard for you to move

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'll keep the theme going with:

"...and once you're in you can even apply to do your Commando and Para courses."

Which technically isn't a blatant lie. Anyone can make a bid for those courses. Actually getting either is a different matter. :)

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  14. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

Whilst I wish you the best, I think part of you will regret not having tried for the marines. Maybe not in the immediate future but one day when you old and bold. You are still so young at 21, you could easily do time in the Corps then transfer to whatever branch of the services to get a trade.

Best of luck for whichever route you take.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  15. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

Just got to keep chasing them up bro. I know a few lads that have managed it or been offered to transfer instead of signing off

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

What you want transfer to

17. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

To be fair when I had my Army brief they did a video on what they need more of the clarks one was very exciting.

"Its not your average day in the office, you got to move paper work fast to get the right things were they need to be fast. I'm still a soldier at heart but I really enjoy the fast pace lifestyle I have here"

May transfer myself

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  18. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Dunno mate i aint done it yet
    Need to check oavl first off

19. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Honestly consider the RM I know being a recruit again is not ideal, but the difference between Army Inf and RM is very very different. Basically all the Gucci soldering stuff we all signed up to, without the Bull$hit that we didn’t. The discipline is more self reliant! My son is currently on a 9 month overseas deployment on Board HMS Albion. He is absolutely loving it.

As an edit. I left the Army as a JNCO, and looking back would happily have gone through RT again to have had a shot at being a RM. Its possibly my greatest regret

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  20. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I got 2 kids i couldng afford going down to recruit wage or even losing my sfa in training. Or risk getting injured in training and been md'd as I'm not a trained rank

Believe me id much prefer to be a rm than my current job but it isnt wise. Aacc would be a better way

• Like Like x 2