MOVING ON. LIFE AFTER THE SERVICES.

Rover

Reaction score
This is a subject that has at times been mentioned in other threads.

As such perhaps its own thread will be of interest, people on this forum no doubt can contribute from their own experiences be it directly or otherwise.

Chelonian

Reaction score
The world really can be one's lobster. Some pursue the money; others a particular passion; most of us try to do both.

As an example, a friend of mine from about thirty years back. A former Royal Marine and a genuinely top bloke now living in Norway:

https://supnorway.com/about-us/

Rover

Reaction score
Today's service leaver has a support network to assist in the transition to the civilian world.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/service-leavers-pack

Many still can only see service people only capable of killing people and fail to appreciate the numerous skills they have which are applicable in the civilian world.

In no particular order and not including any 'trade skills'.

Self Discipline, Man Management, Organisation, Planning and Preparation. Just the obvious ones, try sitting down and list all the other skills that you have that to you are normal attributes of a service life yet tend to be overlooked.

You may be surprised.;)

Rover

Reaction score
Speaking just about former Royal Marines it is interesting to see some of the areas people have moved over to.

Politics, some into local government others as members of Parliament.

The Law, the Police, becoming a solicitor even a few being Barristers. Local Magistrates.

Fire brigade, Ambulance Service. Forensic scientist, Paramedics on to Doctors.

Stuntmen, authors, script writers. Various Subject Matter Experts being freelance consultants.

Landscape artist, woodland conservation, animal conservation some moving to Africa training Anti Poacher teams.

Outward Bound Instructors, Travel Agents, Guides various. Teachers, School Bursars.

HGV Drivers, Taxi Drivers, Property renovation/developers.

Company MD’s, Chief Executive Officer of various organisations.

Within the FCO, UN. Hostage Negotiator. Loss Adjuster for a Gold Mine. Diamond Currier.

Farmers, Fishermen, Coastguard, RNLI.

Deep Sea/Commercial Diver. Offshore Oil and Gas Industry.

In fact a host of different fields these just being a guide to the diversity of occupation people move on to. Some being planned others due to opportunity’s that arise from contacts or being asked “Do you know anything about......”

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
One thing I tell my Grandsons is, "that wherever you end up in life will not be where you planned! It was certainly the case as far as I was concerned!

I also attribute any success in my career to my service life.

Alan