Multi desktops

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It just didn't work well with me, I know gnome isn't as flexible system-wise but you can really play around with the look. (I've been using unix/linux since Open Suse 10 so don't call me a n00b :) )

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Fair point. I switch distros every couple of months or so (boredom mainly) and therefore tend to use whichever is default for that distro. I prefer kde looks out of the box but I do find gnome runs faster.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ever tried Linux Mint? It plays DVDs without having to install any codecs. Only reason I didn't go for it was the interface.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ever tried Linux Mint? It plays DVDs without having to install any codecs. Only reason I didn't go for it was the interface.

No I've not, isn't that one not free/open source? I seem to remember them charging for it. I am just about to install dreamlinux which looks interesting.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/
Free AND better than vista and mac :)

Really isnt.

Been using linux for about 7 years now, better meaning free? quite possibly.
But support for newer hardware is terrible. Support for decent software is terrible, and most alternatives are badly designed. Software can be emulated of course.. albiet usually badly due to the extra resources that the emulator takes up.

It doesn't handle software any faster than my rig with vista on it anyway, the joy of plenty of ram really.

Ubuntu is full of bloat anyway, precisely the reason why one would want to switch FROM windows. Don't have time these days to build my own, so i'd have to use a distro such as ubuntu - the rest are even worse for switching over and compatibility.

Game emulation with WINE is going nicely though, and hopefully that can only improve. I love the customisation options available and always like to "pimp" my desktop so to speek. But navigation is terrible, file storage for personal documents is a pain and the lack of decent graphics support for most cards is a bummer. (drivers worked fine for me though).

At the moment, theres just too many problems with linux for gamers such as myself, to even consider switching over. Sure windows is filled with DRM, but it has not affected anything I do with the computer.

And honestly: 256 desktops? What you hiding there son? Some bestiality? :cheesy:

One thing we can agree on though - is that it's far better than mac.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
'Emulation' of windows programs in linux does not actually take up extra resources. Wine does not emulate windows (it actually stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator) it simply makes the windows API available in linux and therefore does not use extra resources in the way that an emulator would.

I agree that finding the right driver for linux can be a problem however the latest versions of the mainstream distros have excellent hardware support, often better than windows.

For example:
If I install ubuntu on my laptop the only driver I am missing is for my wireless, which cant be shipped with the distro for legal reasons. All i need to do is plug it in to the ethernet and it will automatically download, install and configure the driver.

Now when I install windows on my laptop using a standard cd rather than my recovery disc I am missing graphics, sound, modem, ethernet, wireless and card reader drivers. The only way to get my laptop up and running with windows is to either boot linux or use another pc and download the drivers from the HP website and then burn them to a cd before having to install and configure them manually and individually in windows.
Many other things are also easier in linux, for instance to install firefox in windows you need to search for the website, go to the download page, download the application, install the application and finally configure and run. In ubuntu you simply type "sudo apt-get install firefox" in the terminal.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Really isnt.

Been using linux for about 7 years now, better meaning free? quite possibly.
But support for newer hardware is terrible. Support for decent software is terrible, and most alternatives are badly designed. Software can be emulated of course.. albiet usually badly due to the extra resources that the emulator takes up.

It doesn't handle software any faster than my rig with vista on it anyway, the joy of plenty of ram really.

Ubuntu is full of bloat anyway, precisely the reason why one would want to switch FROM windows. Don't have time these days to build my own, so i'd have to use a distro such as ubuntu - the rest are even worse for switching over and compatibility.

Game emulation with WINE is going nicely though, and hopefully that can only improve. I love the customisation options available and always like to "pimp" my desktop so to speek. But navigation is terrible, file storage for personal documents is a pain and the lack of decent graphics support for most cards is a bummer. (drivers worked fine for me though).

At the moment, theres just too many problems with linux for gamers such as myself, to even consider switching over. Sure windows is filled with DRM, but it has not affected anything I do with the computer.

And honestly: 256 desktops? What you hiding there son? Some bestiality? :cheesy:

One thing we can agree on though - is that it's far better than mac.

Huh? I installed a new graphics card into my computer a few months ago, turned it on, ubuntu recognized it, and installed the correct driver automatically, no problem, same story with my printer.
As for software, I really dont know what you are talking about, KATE (KDE Advanced Text Editor, can be used in gnome as well) is great for programming, I installed it in seconds and took me about 30 seconds to find it in my package manager. In windows a decent editor for free is hard to come by. Also Inkscape is just bloody marvelous and so is GIMP (not as good as PS I know but very close). And for office software OpenOffice.Org is just as good if not better than word. And for 3D design work blender 3d is great. All free too.

As for games, it's not linux that is the problem, it's just that fact that linux isn't big enough at the moment for game companies to start making games for it.

But navigation is terrible, file storage for personal documents is a pain
?????

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
But navigation is terrible, file storage for personal documents is a pain

Every file, folder and device is a file, neatly organised in the correct areas, /boot for boot files, /dev for devices and so on. As for personal files all your user data, files and settings are saved in /user/$username. I normally mount /user as a seperate partition and then I can share all my data and settings across different installs/distro (takes a bit of tweaking but it works!). If you want to backup all user data just back up one folder (/user), it couldnt be easier!

Anyway, I am one to talk, I'm in windows xp at the minute :sick:. Only because I needed itunes, I'm am just about to reinstall linux - honest.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think you just completely misunderstood.

WINE is a program required to run windows applications, it in inself is using resources. Therefore reducing amount available to the program. Granted on a rig like mine it's not even noticable, but on slower rigs it could cause problems.

Im aware of installation methods.. thank you. Then again I have an external HD with all the installers so both methods are slower now... Which i store all personal stuff which can be picked up on a new windows install - genius eh.

ATI graphics cards have terrible drivers, im going to assume you have nvidia to have had no problems, and that you don't play any games... and yes i know printers install right off the mark, I HAVE USED LINUX FOR A WHILE.

I know each thing in "neatly stored away in the correct folder" but frankly without creating your own spaces personal folders etc are just badly designed, so is the saving file navigator (might be improved in latest ubuntu possibly).

Gimp sucks.. any notepad program is great for programming, open office is clunky and nowhere near as refined as MS office.
Why would I use linux for for said programs when you can use better programs on windows, which unless your stupid wont be affected by virus' or cost anything anyway.

I'd love for ubuntu to become big - but it wont happen till it's more user friendly.

I think your failing to see who your preaching to here - Im not a windows fanboy, i'd use linux if it could actually do what I need it to do (alot of software i use has NO alternative.. yes stuck programming VB..). And I have used linux ALOT, but at the moment theres too many problems with user friendlyness, lack of big company software support , driver support etc.

It's still at the level of windows98 - they are doing many things right, but theres just those dumb thigns which prevent it from being awesome.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I use nvidia and do play games via wine. and they work great.
Gimp doesn't suck, it's great, any work you can make in PS you can make in gimp, only it requires a lot more work. Any notepad program wont simply do for programming, you need special highlighting and numbered lines to work properly, like
screenshotyv6.png

I have never had any problems with open office, and use word at school, and I know which one I'd rather use.

If you get the time you should try ubuntu hardy. The only problem I have had with linux mainly is that itunes wont work in wine and the alteratives dont have nearly as many options.

Anyway, any one else surprised there would be so many linux users on a PRMC site? :)

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I use nvidia and do play games via wine. and they work great.
Gimp doesn't suck, it's great, any work you can make in PS you can make in gimp, only it requires a lot more work.

So why would I use gimp if it requires a lot more work for the same result? Not to mention the interface is horrible on it.

Any notepad program wont simply do for programming, you need special highlighting and numbered lines to work properly
No you don't. they are ASSISTS for programming, you think the compiler reads the colour or line numbers? They are just there for user friendliness to show what and where you are.

I have never had any problems with open office, and use word at school, and I know which one I'd rather use.
Office 2007 (or is it 8?) is far cleaner on the interface side, old office sucks.

If you get the time you should try ubuntu hardy. The only problem I have had with linux mainly is that itunes wont work in wine and the alteratives dont have nearly as many options.

I used hardy, by latest version I meant the one in beta, should have clarified that.

Anyway, any one else surprised there would be so many linux users on a PRMC site? :)

Yes, for once it actually did haha

I do love linux, i just dont think its quite there yet - I was loading live CD's of it on the comps in uni, confusing the hell out of the lecturers, twas fun!

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
So why would I use gimp if it requires a lot more work for the same result? Not to mention the interface is horrible on it.

Erm, the interface is fine when you get used to it and not everyone had hundreds of pounds to spend on software. (I know what your thinking and the reason I have used PS is because my dad got a free copy of it from adobe for his magazine article)

No you don't. they are ASSISTS for programming, you think the compiler reads the colour or line numbers? They are just there for user friendliness to show what and where you are.

Well obviously it doesn't. But you will not find one programming company using a normal text editor.

Office 2007 (or is it 8?) is far cleaner on the interface side, old office sucks.

I guess that's a matter of opinion.

I used hardy, by latest version I meant the one in beta, should have clarified that.

Haven't had a go at them yet :)

New Threads