Muscle imbalance

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding potential muscle imbalances.

As I'm training very specific, the only upper body work in doing is the 3 exercises that are tested during the RMFA.

Obviously these are:
marine style press ups (triceps focussed)
Overhand normal grip pull ups (tricep/lat focussed)
Sit ups (ab focussed)

My question is, as there is comparatively little work on the biceps as there is on the triceps, I'm worried that by just training these exercises I will create a muscle imbalance between my biceps and triceps that could potentially lead to injury.

Has anyone encountered this problem or, alternatively, can anyone vouch that this will not happen during my training?

Thanks in advance.

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The triceps don’t contract when doing pull ups (whatever variation), they are stretched, biceps are the muscles contracting although the overhand grip takes some of that effort away so it is mainly a back exercise. (The biceps being the lever for the back muscles, triceps being the lever for the chest and shoulder muscles).

Although I commend you for training specific, throw in some different variations of press ups and pull ups, it will relieve some tedium of doing the same exercises and will work your muscles in a different way, I.e. diamond press ups and underhand pull ups (especially if your worried about bicep/tricep imbalance).

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Great thanks for the quick reply.

I do 3 pull up sessions a week so will change to doing 1 wide, 1 underhand and 1 normal grip pull ups to hit the different muscles.

I also do a fintan once a week which gives me a variation on my press ups.

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
  • I can’t see the marines giving you any workouts that will cause you injury by performing them correctly as shown by the videos.

Wanderer101

Reaction score
If you want your body go adapt to the exercises required then you've got to do those specific ones.
Performing exercises that use all of the same muscles in the same manner as the ones need then that should help too.
Main thing is repetition done in safe practice and you should be fine.
Just as Hyper said, Triceps do not contract in pull ups and biceps are the same form the press up, if you're super worried about imbalance then work on it separate to you RM training.