Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Muscle Imbalances

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by DBenn01, Apr 19, 2016.

1. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Morning all,

First off I may be interpreting muscle imbalances wrong, if so please feel free to correct me.

Although it's natural to have a stronger and a weaker side, my right being my stronger and my left obviously the weaker, I wonder if I should be worried or train more on my left side because the muscles are smaller on my arm and leg? Not by too much but there is a notable difference. How can this be solved?

Also I've been feeling my shoulders pull forward quite a lot recently and I wonder if its because of the fact that i do more chest exercises than say, pullups, as my upper back isnt as strong as I like it to be. Do I just balance the amount of training on my back and front?

And does posture, or bad posture have an effect on this?

Thanks a lot!!

2. craneclimb1

craneclimb1 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah I had that chest thing too, and I started doing rows at the gym and that helped, before my shoulders would hunch forward when deadlifting, so I started doing a lot of rows instead and now I have improved with that a lot.

I would say try to balance your training out on both sides of your body as it will prevent stress on joints and reduce the risk of injury I think.

A friend of mine who is in the gym 24/7 told me to do isolation exercises on the weaker side, then put the two together, I am not sure how good/accurate this is, but someone a lot more knowledgeable than me will probably answer soon.

Hope I helped and good luck :)

Edit: also if you do a lot of chest work make sure to do a lot of chest stretches to stop your muscles from getting too tight

3. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Strengthen the back y t w works perfect for this, also make sure you're stretching the chest out (smash out different variations of pull ups) I'd say you could do some single leg/ arm work to balance it out so pistol squats etc! If you're into weight training I'm not your man for advice

4. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Watch "How to Fix Muscle Imbalance (EQUALIZE YOUR SIZE!)" on YouTube

5. TwoElls

TwoElls Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Muscle imbalance? Probably stop using the internet during those late hours of the night.

Learning isolated exercises which also have a compound version. But what a lot of people don't realise is they're compensating for their weakness with other muscle groups.

Start from the foundation. Let's pretend were doing bicep curls (don't do biceps). If you can curl 20kg on your right. You'll try to curl 20kg on your left. But you'll probably compensate with your latts and intercostals. So drop the weight by half and slowly increase the weight based on your weaker sides progress.

I'm sure someone else will be able to help but that's my understanding of how you can fix hypertrophy issues.

6. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks a million lads I will put this to good use!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. 3344

3344 Member

Tell that to this guy

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  8. DJANGO

DJANGO Member

Guy looks like Popeye after half a can of spinach

9. NikNak32

NikNak32 Member

Another issue to look at would be why you have an imbalance in the first place! Like you said it might just be preference when working out similar to using the same hand for writing.
    Then again it could be posture or another issue such as what has already been mentioned by your body adjusting to compensate for the weaker muscles.
    Its all good training up the weaker side but if the initial problem isnt solved then there's a chance all that hard work could be lost once you settle back into a normal routine.
    Something for you to think about...

10. NikNak32

NikNak32 Member

This should help :)
    Many other examples on the internet too if you search along the lines of 'muscle imbalances and posture'

Attached Files:

11. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks a million, this should help as its exactly how my neck and shoulders go of I don't consciously stand or walk with correct posture. I pay more attention these days but it could be a while before it is fixed, it will just need a lot of attention and probably working out like pull-ups to kind of train the muscles to the way they should be. The main reason I haven't been doing pull-ups aside from how difficult they are is because I haven't had access to anything I could use, or at least I didn't realise I had, now my family are just going to get used to the image of me hanging off the door!! Thank you for that!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. NikNak32

NikNak32 Member

No problem! Hope it helps.
    I have a similar issue with posture but thats because of my height and office job.
    A rehabilitator also taught me that it's usually the smaller stabilising muscle groups that are weak in the upper back. They react more to high reps and low weights due to mainly being made up of slow twitch fibres so it could be time for rowing machines and cables or therabands.
    Stretching off your neck by tilting your head back and to the sides while lightly pressing down on your chest is good too! Helps reduce the 'poking chin' effect.

13. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks I will be sure to apply what you have told me!

14. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @NikNak32
    You know what keeps happening actually, that needs to stop, I keep slumping my shoulders after every workout and that's defeating the purpose I think.

15. NikNak32

NikNak32 Member

Ha that's not as bad as me sat down with my head in my hands.
    You can by posture or back supports or even some taping on your back as a reminder?
    As long as you keep your shoulders back and squeeze your shoulders blades in then you should be fine :) It will take time but nothing to worry too much about. Even if you do that first thing in a morning until you feel a burn it could be enough.

16. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That's pretty interesting actually, I will look into the supports but the tape is a good idea. Thanks again!

I used to be so bad my hands would bounce off the front of my thighs as I walked!

17. craneclimb1

craneclimb1 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Try stretching your chest after each workout and roll your shoulders back, also make sure when you do upper back or any back stuff you are exercising with proper form, as NikNak32 said do high reps too, good luck with it, also just wondering do your shoulder blades stick out a bit?

18. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Only sometimes but that's when I tense my muscles, not usually.

Thanks a lot by the way!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. glos94

glos94 Well-Known Member

We all do a lot of horizontal pushing (press-ups), but most of our pulling will vertical (pull-ups). So likely you will like me need to strengthen your upper back and stretch you pecs.

So just start adding a lot more horizontal pulling eg: Rows, band pull apparts, face pulls etc and start stretching the pecs and shoulders. Also if you have the cash you could get a sports massage every now and then.

Edit: It appears this has all been said already!

• Like Like x 1
  20. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Ytw's is a body weight exercise that strengthens the upper back brilliantly

• Seen Seen x 1