Muscle Reecovery???

southerncomfort

Reaction score
Alright lads,

Just wondering how long it takes everyone to recover from a phys session?
The running is fine but the pressups and pull ups are taking so much longer to recover from that its messing my schedule up as I haven't recovered enough to train two days later.
I had a good session on Saturday but I still ache today and can only manage a few pressups before my arms start shaking and die!!
Is there anything more than stretching after a session to boost recovery times cause this is getting a bit soul destroying!!!

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
only thing other than rest i can think of to speed up recovery is plenty of water and a good diet so eat a high protein meal after training helps repair all the torn muscle fibres alot quicker, usually the next day off is enough to be ready to work the same muscle group again but i guess everyones different

sjuggins

Reaction score
SouthernC, I never train my muscles to failure, I go close sometimes though. I'm trying a theory that to do a little and often is better than going to failure every time. It's something used by Pavel Tsatsouline (sp) and it seems to be working for my pullups so hopefully will work for my pushups as well. For situps I just bang em' out whenever I can, always trying to improve every week.

Also, the more you train the muscles, the quicker recovery will be, especially if you're not used to any form of weight training, it will take time. You've probably just done more than you're used to so you're body needs to take a bit longer to recover.

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How long do you usually take to stretch before and after doing your upper body stuff?

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You need to eat something high in protein! if your on about 100 grams of protein a day this will definately help you recover quickly. I mean i go to the gym 4-5 days a week, so for me i would eat 150-180 g a day. As your only doing press-ups and you need to recover within a set period, you MUST eat protein.

Mr T

Reaction score
Protein does not help to speed up muscle recovery.

It only helps to rebuild muscle in the recovery process. The process of muscle recovery is a natural process and will vary slightly from person to person.

The only thing you can do to aid muscle recovery is make sure you have enough Vitamins minerals and iron in your diet, so inlcude lots of fibrous veg.

Also eat 2 banana's after workout straight away to replenish muscle glycogen, this should help to keep post workout muscle breakdown to a minimum

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
to the above post... JK was right too, rebuilding muscle is muscle recovery.

You work out - you break your muscle down
you rebuild this muscle- you recover

Im sure a high protein meal is slightly more benneficial than a vitamin and 2 bananas, youd want something like a banana before a workout its just energy cause its full of natural sugars.

Mr T

Reaction score
Glycogen replenishment is a key to full muscle recuperation from prolonged or intense exercise. Any failure to replenish glycogen stores is typically associated with “flat” muscles, plus a loss of strength, speed, velocity and the capacity to resist fatigue
(source: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/356/)

A good source of carbs before a workout is great but to retain muscle after a workout it is vital to replenish the muscle glycogen, as stated in my firstpost.

Plus unless taking certain types of enhancers the body will always utilise protein synthesis at the same rate, therefore not actually speeding up the recovery process, BUT indeed making the resources avaliable in the body when needed.

(Wasnt trying to flame anyone with my initial post just trying to offer a suggestion :) )

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think anyone would go to all that trouble and buy loads of vitamins. It would be a whole lot easier just to buy high protein meals, and they can be pretty cheap.

Mr T

Reaction score
Sorry! maybe i wondered away from my original post when I jumped up on my high horse! :eek:ops:

What I was trying to get at was as long as you eat a healthy diet including lots of fibrous veg (adequate for the vits & mins) and some good sources healthy fats, then thats all that is needed to aid muscle recovery.

Sorry if I seemed a bit uppy gents :roll:

southerncomfort

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice lads, I think the diet is where im falling over at the moment, as its late when i get home after training i go straight to my Mrs resturant for some grub or just go without completley(lazy i know :eek:ops: ). Time to get in the kitchen I think!!

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the advice lads, I think the diet is where im falling over at the moment, as its late when i get home after training i go straight to my Mrs resturant for some grub or just go without completley(lazy i know ). Time to get in the kitchen I think!!

yeah if your pushed for time to cook etc when you get in you should do what i do whilst your getting ready in the morning slap a couple of chicken breasts in to cook, bag them up and chuck them in the fridge then when u get in you can just slap them in the microwave, boil in a bag brown rice or wholewheat pasta and there u have it complex carbs with high quality protein perfect for after a workout!

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A simple beans on toast with egg and ham and a tin of tuna and a pint of milk, is about 60 grams of protein. Have one of these a day.

SR

Reaction score
I had the same problem and i read that an ice bath helps alot.

Over the last month or so after my workout i have my normal shower then an ice bath for at least 8 mins. Works really well for me.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
SR said:

Over the last month or so after my workout i have my normal shower then an ice bath for at least 8 mins. Works really well for me.

I think i'll give that a miss

SR

Reaction score
MasoN said:
SR said:

I think i'll give that a miss

:*text deleted*:
Certainly takes your breathe away when you first hop in, but it is surprising how good it is.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Muscle Cramps General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 3
0 Muscle gain pre-prmc POC Section 11
S Pulled muscle? Common Training Injuries 1