Muscles = Agony

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I went a run today for the first time in 2 months. Stupid me stopped training and now im right back at the beginning. Anyway, My calve muscles tighten up sooo much and its unbearable. Its as if they are about to pop out of my skin. Does anybody else get this and what can I do to prevent it from happening.

Please help lads.

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mate nice to no that im not the onlyone with this pain. I was moaning about this in a post last week!
I can feel abit of a difference with my problem now. When you go out for a run and you feel like you have to stop dont bother this is what makes it worse. I just do a perfetic jog/walk to keep my heart rate at normal and my legs moving. Thats why i run at night haha!
I have also gone to the doctors and im getting a blood test this wednesday. I dont no why i need it but hes the doctor... If youve got what *text deleted* got you just need to stretch alot.
Best of luck mate!

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mate nice to no that im not the onlyone with this pain. I was moaning about this in a post last week!
I can feel abit of a difference with my problem now. When you go out for a run and you feel like you have to stop dont bother this is what makes it worse. I just do a perfetic jog/walk to keep my heart rate at normal and my legs moving. Thats why i run at night haha!
I have also gone to the doctors and im getting a blood test this wednesday. I dont no why i need it but hes the doctor... If youve got what *text deleted* got you just need to stretch alot.
Best of luck mate!

I might try the Doctor.

How far do you run though?

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I only run 3 miles 3 times a week. Untill im happy running long distences, then i will go for 4 miles and 5 miles.. Like everyone says rest is the best medicine. I told the doctor i cant afford to rest for too long. Im getting a bloodtest for this reason. Like i said i dont no what this is for..

NDC_OSPREY

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No your not the only one, i have just come back from injury and my calfs feel like their on fire when running up hill. Just keep thinking of that Maroon Beret..... i mean Green Beret and [push on through.

PoyserRM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do u stretch before and after?...i usually find if i dont they can hurt

NDC_OSPREY

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A warm up is mena tto be gentle, if your lifting heavy before then your muscles are already tired and the muscle is broken down. this is prbably your problem, use a warm up of gentle cardio and DYNAMIC stretching.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
A warm up is mena tto be gentle, if your lifting heavy before then your muscles are already tired and the muscle is broken down. this is prbably your problem, use a warm up of gentle cardio and DYNAMIC stretching.

I do a heavy workout on my upper body and not my legs.
I do 30 squats and then a gentle stretch on my calves but the heavy work out is all on my upper body really.

NDC_OSPREY

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ah, see now i look stupid. :embarrest:

sounds like you just need to make the warm up a bit longer, say 5 minutes of gentle jogging or something before stretching.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I might try the Doctor.

How far do you run though?

do NOT try a normal doctor, they wont have a clue and will stick you on anti-inflamitories and say for you to rest. No *text deleted**text deleted* mr doctor!

With any sports related injury or problem always see a physio.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
do NOT try a normal doctor, they wont have a clue and will stick you on anti-inflamitories and say for you to rest. No *text deleted**text deleted* mr doctor!

With any sports related injury or problem always see a physio.

They cost so much money though

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Id avoid a doctor if you want to join the military!! it'l go on your med records and then if the navy/army/raf doctor doesn't like the look of it your application could get delayed with further medicals all over the country!!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's what parents are for sir!
You might just be putting too much strain on them, try going for a few short runs (.5 of a mile) for a couple days, and see if you get the problem.
After injury i couldnt do 1.5 milers without alot of pain, might be the problem.

But nobody here is a physio - so we can't diagnose any problems.

NDC_OSPREY

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Or try a sports massage, they hurt like buggery but will do you the world of good. Make sure its asports massgae not a normal massage.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted**text deleted* I killed my legs today at the gym. Leg extensions, hamstring press, squats, leg press, calf press, lunges, now I feel battered. I never run on a legs day though. Going for a run tomorrow :amuse:

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
this realy isnt nothing to worry about mate its just getting back into running honestly lad.

always run atleast 3 times a week and do atleast 5 miles every time you run, no pain no gain.

good luck mate

New Threads