muscles involved in pull-up

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey lads what muscles do you use for a pull-up so i can concentrate on improving them because at the moment ive been training bicep and lats and pecs LOADS because i cant seem to get the last 45 degree and its anoyying as hell

Zefan

Reaction score
Uses a lot of your back. Try lat pull downs.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Blocky, just swim breast stroke mate it uses all the muscles associated with doing pull ups and double's up as a great full bodywork out! Ultimately though the only way to progress with pull ups mate is just to keep doing them ...

Steve.

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh, breast stroke and lat pull downs will work.

Also, if you have access to a gym. grab a weight that you can do 20 reps (on each arm) but struggle on 15th or 16th rep... feet shoulder width apart. place the weight on the floor and place one hand on the flat bench... so that you're bent over, grab the weight and raise it to your body.

click on this video link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2003/kneeonbenchonearmrow.wvx

this will help quite a bit.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ah the old bent over row, everyones fav :weightlifting: you *text deleted* love'em

RC

Reaction score
hey lads what muscles do you use for a pull-up so i can concentrate on improving them because at the moment ive been training bicep and lats and pecs LOADS because i cant seem to get the last 45 degree and its anoyying as hell
The problem may be that because you have been training your lats / bicep's 'loads', you are failing to improve ?

If I were you, I'd take a couple of days rest to let the muscles recover and then try some negatives ( these should be particularly useful for allowing you to get the last portion of the pull-up ). For example, get yourself into the top position of a pull up ( either stand on something or jump up into position ). Hold yourself in this position for as long as you can. Eventually, you will no longer be able to hold this position and will begin to descend. However keep pulling your body up as hard as you can and try and make the descent last as long as you can. When your arms are fully extended, repeat the process 2 - 4 times ( this is a set ) before taking a 3 -5 minutes break. Then do a few more sets ( 3 - 5 ). This will be fairly demanding, so allow at least 2 days rest before training the lats / biceps again.

If you have access to weights / lat pull down machine it may be worth rotating between negatives and weights / lat pull down machine. As others have said 1 arm dumbell rows and bent over rows will help to a certain extent but I would use the lat pull down predominently.
Ideally you should be performing lower reps ( 1 - 6 or )to develop max strength ( which is what you need to develop ). However, you will need to learn the correct technique and prepare your body prior to using heavy weights, so use a lighter weight to start with and do more reps ( 10 - 15 ). Gradually increase the weight and reduce the reps. Start with about 5 sets and rest the back / biceps at least 1 full day ( preferably 2 days ) before training them again.

Hope this helps.

Rich.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Negatives are great, I use to do them tons. Another thing I did to help increase strength, which is a power negative, or isometric exercise. You need a partner to do it. You load the lat machine with extreme amounts of weight or at least a weight you cannot pull down yourself, and pull it down with the help of a friend. Hold the bar as close to your chest as you can, and hold onto it as long as you can. Your partner can hold it very lightly just to make sure you dont let go and have the damn bar go flying around the gym. When you can hold it no longer, slowly release it back like performing one negative. I use to do negatives, and then on my last set, do this instead. Really stresses the muscle, and is deal for the top portion of the pull up, and holding that stance for a few seconds, which is what you'll have to do on PRMC.

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thats great help guys ill try that tomorrow! will this also improve my pressups?? also my pressups seem to be improving gradually so i must be doing something right xD

Zefan

Reaction score
thats great help guys ill try that tomorrow! will this also improve my pressups?? also my pressups seem to be improving gradually so i must be doing something right xD
Pressups are the complete opposite of pullups so really it shoudn't be directly helping at all, although core strength benefits most types of circuit training exercises.

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you would be suprised doing lots of press ups does help with pull ups . everytime my press ups got better my pull ups would aswell . do you not got a aching pain down the side under your arm pit? that bulge nearer the back side when doing press ups? that muscle also helps with pull ups and is a very hard muscle to devlop i think anyway