Music exam grades accepted as UCAS points?

Castle Kashan caterer

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I know that music grades (from grade 6 upwards) with some schools of music are accepted as UCAS points, but do the marines accept them for their UCAS point value?
sounds a bit stupid but i'm just interested because i have music grades that could apply.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's not a stupid question at all - you should take the certificates to your ACLO for verification of their validity with regard academic content in lieu of A2 Levels by AIB.

One thing I would say is that if you are over Grade 5 on one or more instruments (Of the orchestral or marching variety)then you should seriously consider RM musician.

Fifteen weeks military training, followed by 2 years 8 months musician training by the top UK professors in music- you can then go on to take a BMus(Hons) Degree whilst in fulltime employment.

If you only play one instrument, they will take you from scratch to grade 8 in two years 8 months. The variety of music is as broad as your imagination from Military, Classical, Rock, Pop, Big Band and beyond.

You are also trained as a paramedic and can be deployed in the group force protection role (there are 36 RM Musicians serving in Afghanistan this year) or the Medical role.

S

Sotiris

I've always wondered about this.

I take it being in the RM band doesn't give you the right to wear the Green Beret? If not, what unit do you actually serve with if you see active duty? Do you refer to RM band as Marines? If so what about the women?

Reaction score
No you don't get to wear the Green Beret because you don't do the Commando tests. They are completely seperate. The RM Band are an extremely professional organisation and like all Marines I am enormously proud of them.

S

Sotiris

They came to Dubai once, they were absolutely brilliant. I've never seen anything like it.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To my mind they are the best military band in the world and the only one that can perform as a full (stringed) orchestra as well as a marching band.

They are indeed Royal Marines, but not Commandos, so they wear a blue beret rather than green.

It's one of life's anomalies: There are Royal Marines who aren't Commandos and there are Royal Navy Commandos, and Army Commandos also.

(I was considering starting a seperate sub-forum for potentuial RM musicians, having spoken to the RMBS Public Relations WOII on this very subject.)

Castle Kashan caterer

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i'm grade 8 on drums and grade 5 piano but i really dont want to join the RM band. I have high hopes of SBS officer, i can't see myself doing anything else in life.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The best of luck to you in your aspirations.

You're clearly already fully up to speed in some fieldcraft aspects with snares being one of your Fortes.

Castle Kashan caterer

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I may be wrong here, but in my opinion luck plays no part in getting into the UKSF you just have to want it bad enough and put the effort in. The only part about the selection process that i can imagine is down to luck is when you are in the jungle and you can only hope you dont get bitten by an insect that will give you something.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There is indeed an element of luck involved. Many may be surprised the amount of candidates who do not complete selection because of genuine serious injury, rather than failing to physically prepare.

The same is true of some PRMC or POC fails also.

Castle Kashan caterer

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
fair enough. ok so back to point at hand, are the grades worth UCAS points to the marines or is it just A levels and btechs?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As stated:

It's not a stupid question at all - you should take the certificates to your ACLO for verification of their validity with regard academic content in lieu of A2 Levels by AIB.
Quite simply, there's only one way to find out.

Castle Kashan caterer

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Feel kind of stupid that i didnt remember that....or look up to check. Need to work on that...
Right, thanks everyone.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
From what I remember, Grade 5 Theory pass, merit or distinction, used to be counted as a GCSE pass if accompanied by the practical Grade 5 exam also.

Grade 8 equivalency, however, needs to be checked for validity.