My confidenece

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all!

Happy monday! haha.

As some of you know, i was complete beef last wednesday and didnt pass my fitness test. I'm kicking myself because I knew I could pass it. But I've just been sick lately.

I guess this is a bit of a rant plus i need some extra motivation.

Mostly all my family are telling me to do something more interesting with my life, like go and travel around Australia and what not.

I've been going to the gym everyday since last Wednesday and doing cardio every other day. I'm still finding it really hard to run at 15.5kph for more than 4 or 5 minutes.

I have been setting the treadmill up to do interval training. jog at 8kph for 1 minute and run at 15.5 for a minute. I do that for 20 minutes then I set it back up for a constant run on 10.5kph.

I've got 7 and a half weeks until I can take it again. Do you think i'll be able to pass it?

And... on to another thing.
My mum and dad are currently living in the US and they're trying to push me to move back over there and join the US Navy and then into the US SEALS. I know the Seals aren't quite the RM: Commandos. But if I don't pass the next fitness test I might just take up that offer. :question:

Well, at least the 1.5 mile run has to be within 11 minutes.

But the upper body strength standards are a lot higher.

God dammit, someone give me some advice on what to do.

Thanks!

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Stick at it mate.Dont let anyone tell you otherwise,if you want to join the RM ,then do everything in your power to achive it. You can do it,you know yourself that you can,but you just need to keep cracking on with the running,and keep in mind what your doing it for.

On the US Navy part,i guess its an idea.But if you cant pass the PJFT,theres no way,without lots more training that you could pass SEAL selection.

If the RM dosnt pan out,id consider the Army,or maybe RN?

Zefan

Reaction score
Which country do you feel more passionate about?

There's no way I'd serve for any other country, it just wouldn't feel right.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed, stick with the Marines. For the SEALS, you must obviously first go through basic training in the NAVY. Im not sure how long you need to be employed there before you can apply to transfer to the SEALS. I hear they get hundreds of applications, and then do interviews and background checks. Not to mention if you have problems doing the 1.5 mile run on a tread mill in 10 mins, the SEALS are going to annihilate you when your running miles in the sand on the beach. A friend of mine is a Navy SEAL, and if your seriously considering it, you can PM me with some questions and I can run them by him mate.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The fact is the US Marines are more focussed towards Upper Body muscle bulk and fitness rather than balancing CV & upper body on equal terms as the Royal Marines do.

The US Marines are simply not built for running any great distance because of the extra muscle-mass they carry, but then they have more helicopters, aircraft, landing craft, hovercraft & ships to take them to and from their area of operations, so are nonetheless extremely effective in the role in which they are intended. Royal Marines are more used to acting in a self-sufficient role once actively deployed, hence the need to balance CV and upper body equally, without a bias toward one or the other.

If you feel better suited to developing your upper body bulk, whilst developing your CV fitness, but to a lesser degree, then the choice is obvious.

Again, as stated very often (sorry!) for RM's think "Lithe" rather than "Arnie"

Good luck to you on your second PJFT.

darvey

Reaction score
ah confidence! if your heart says you want to be a royal marine then that is what you must do. its never a case of choice, as with me i was in a similar situation, but courage overcomes fear, i was struggling for fitness and had apllied to be a policeman passed assesment and knew as you probably do that i would be settling for second best. give your body a rest, focus your mind and motivate yourself to endure a hard week of training. naturally our body will take time to recover and it needs that mate, dont get yourself down some of my bestresults have come after being ill. hence my post on flu. you have enough time to train b4 *text deleted* next test, and i'm confident for you. just vary your workouts with some interval training as your doing throw in a swimming session after your cv this helped me too and get your body used to doing the business again. go for it mate, you'll be fine. i know it might seem a bit deep to say this but being passion about life i say follow your heart, follow that feeling you get when you think about the passing out parade, about the great green lid.... the answer is in you! motivation dedication determination, i wont give up and i dont want you to either, i dont want anyone on here to fail or give up, simply because struggling through these times are all benefit and are all adding to what will make you a better marine in the end. good luck mate. ps let me know when your back on track

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I failed my PJFT today mate, I got about 7 weeks until my re-tryI am guessing. I didn't fail due to being unfit ( lungwise) just because I have only just recovered from shin splints and the impact seemed to iritate them again, after 7 minutes after a poor warm Up the pain was just far too much. Uping my cycling now and also swimming, also doing some training in local mountains, will let you know how I am getting on and also how my treadmill times are improving ( probably assess them every friday if possible)

You can do it.

Dan2508

Reaction score
The best way to improve cardio is fartlek training, do a decent distance between 4 to 6 miles. Start off at a modest pace and the set yourself goals such as two or three lamposts distance in which you have to sprint best effort. Once youve reached the marker then slow down to a walk to catch your breath but dont walk for too long or you wont get maximum effect. after a brief walk the break back into a jog untill you can find another marker to sprint too. If you keep repeating the steps until youve finished the run it'll improve recovery rate and cardio. Another exellent cardio workout is sprint training there are difrent ways to do this but i prefere to just use a half a football pitch and once again sprint from corner to corner then jog lightly corner to corner then back to sprinting again. Hope it was some help? in doing this ive managed to knock my time from 9:45 down to under 9 minutes.

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I failed my PJFT today mate, I got about 7 weeks until my re-tryI am guessing. I didn't fail due to being unfit ( lungwise) just because I have only just recovered from shin splints and the impact seemed to iritate them again, after 7 minutes after a poor warm Up the pain was just far too much. Uping my cycling now and also swimming, also doing some training in local mountains, will let you know how I am getting on and also how my treadmill times are improving ( probably assess them every friday if possible)

You can do it.
Sorry to hear that.

But on a good side, you've *text deleted* wait 7 weeks. We'll probably be taking our PJFT at the same time, might even be on the same PRMC if we make it! I'm sure you can pass it same for me as well. I've definitely changed my training routine.

PrmcOjay

Reaction score
HI again jamie

Around a year ago when the pjft time was 10.45 i was able to get around 10.47 even though i think i used to do more exercise but theres times we all realise we cant exspect it to be easy most people including myself get ready for a run and think ahhh i cant be botherd to feel that nasty pain.your going to fail if you think that. :) but i dont know whats happend but this year i can push myself alot more when it comes to running i hate running but with less exercise and more gogogo i managed to do my pjft 16kph the whole 1.5m (9.20) and i felt great i think setting yourself a speed and not going slower than a speed say 15.2 helps because once i slow down my legs dont *text deleted* speed up again once you master a certain time if you maintain that fitness you will pass dont give up!

:sleeping:so sleep tite relax and when you practise your run put your head up high and tell yourself this speed isnt going any slower untill i see 2.4km on the clock and the faster i run the quicker its done :)

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone one for the replied. It's much appreciated.

I have been doing interval training. going for 20 - 40 minutes.

Slow run is at 8kph then it speeds up to 15.5kph. I seem to be doing okay with that.

After the interval training or sometimes before I do a constant run at 10.5 for 20 minutes.

Each week im going to gain the run by .50 of a kilometer. I should be running at 15khp for 20 minutes by week 8.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I failed my first PJFT due to lack of training and a big pi$$ up the night before. My test was on Boxing day (I'll let you do the maths). I failed after 6 minutes doing 14kmph, my mouth dried up to the point where I could taste blood.

Anyway they gave me 8 weeks, I started on the road at my slowest pace (Around 9 minute miles) and starting the third week I managed to feel good with my breathing and increased my pace, by week 7 I was doing 6.30-7.45 minute miles constantly and 5.13 minute miles flat out (lungs to my ultimate maximum).

I passed yesterday with a time of 9.45.

Basically you can't do anything more than train. I'd reccomend doing fartlek training or interval training only once a week as this is potentially damaging. It should take something like 5-7% of your training regeim.

Hope anything I mentioned helps hehe.

Ash

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
I got my PJFT time down by 40 secs in 2 weeks (after i failed the first one by 20 ses-10.19 mins) by training specificly for the PJFT.By this I mean you should be training for that distance in particular-fast 1.5 miles.Now I know theres going to be a few people who say 'you should be doing 3,4,5 miles or whatever' but at the end of the day they are asking you to do 1.5miles in under 10 mins.Whats the point of plodding around 5 miles at a slow speed when you cant run the 1.5 mile in under 10?

Yes,once youve passed the PJFT go on to the longer runs,but you wont be doing the longer runs (3miles at the PRMC) till you have passed the PJFT.The speed work you have dont for the PJFT will make you a faster 3,4,5 miler runner

Keep on with the fartlek Jamie,work on the speed more than anything.I found I could run long distance at a slow speed but when it came to running fast i just couldnt do it.The only way to go faster is if you train to run fast.

Just my 2 pence

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yes,once youve passed the PJFT go on to the longer runs,but you wont be doing the longer runs (3miles at the PRMC) till you have passed the PJFT.The speed work you have done for the PJFT will make you a faster 3,4,5 miler runner

I actually agree with you on this one adam! Focusing on your speed work jamie, it will definately have a knock on effect, though just remember to still throw in the odd longer slower run. But you know that anyway dude !

Steve.

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
Adam, thats excellent news mate, good effort & keep it up!

I actually agree with you on this one! Focusing on your speed work will definately have a knock on effect, though just remember to still throw in the odd longer slower run. But you know that anyway dude ! Well done again.

Steve.

I passed my PJFT in Novemeber mate-*text deleted*

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I passed my PJFT in Novemeber mate-*text deleted*

I know that dude , was merely saying that that was good effort and to keep that kinda training up :giggle: but cheers for point out that my post might have looked daft! :giggle: my post has been amended accordinly.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Dont worry mate, it'll come round soon enough ! :thumbsup: and you'll smash it anyways !

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, I'm heading back to the US for 7 weeks while I'm waiting for my next PJFT. I haven't given up yet!! I've just got a decent job lined up to take my time up. There's a decent gym there too... So i'll be training HARD AS *text deleted*.

Oh... and i'll be going back to my LOVELY Yamaha R6!

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nice dude, just don't get back together with that bitch ex of yours :tuttut: