My decision

Mikey

Reaction score
Well, I've been lurking for a bit here and doing plenty of reading around the subject and I've come to the decision that I will not be making an application to join up. There are several reasons for this, but the primary one is that I'll believe it to be a waste of the RN/RM's time and resources as it's highly unlikely that I'll pass the medical and security checks. I'll spare you the details, but I can tell you that I've had to declare bankruptcy and that I did suffer from depression in the past. It's my understanding that those two alone will disqualify me from joining.

I am disappointed as I have been working towards joining the armed forces since I was in the army cadets and my choice of A Levels where I studied Geography, History, Computing and Government and Politics specifically so I could try for a commission and become an officer in the Royal Marines. I guess some things weren't to be and so I will just have to excel in whatever I end up doing on civvy street.

I sincerely believe that we live in the greatest nation in the world and that it is the armed forces that helps to maintain its greatness. Though I might not be able to join, I will try my best to support the Royal Marines and the rest of the Armed Forces and show each and every person who has served the respect and gratitude they sorely deserve. It is the very least I can do.

These forums are an excellent resource - thank you very much :)

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They will not let you join due to bad credit ?. Thats kinda stupid *text deleted*.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Mikey,

All the best with your decision, if you are making it for the right reasons. If it is really something you want to do, contact your afco and discuss it in person with the recruiting officer. If it is someone genuine that wants to join he won't look on it as wasting his time. He might tell you that yes you will be barred from joining but at least you'll know for definite and possible even give you a time in the future when an application could be successful.

Nothing to lose bud

Ty said:
They will not let you join due to bad credit ?. Thats kinda stupid *text deleted*.
One of the reasons is to stop personnel with access to privileged information and equipment from being under pressure to do things like selling them.

All the best

GW

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You should seriously rethink about what you'r doing. If you want it! you will do it!. your not wasting anybodys time, believe me. I've failed my PRMC twice! and i have to redo my Medical PJFT and Eye Test, which i all passed again :). Now waiting upon my PRMC...

anyway, good luck !

paddlequack

Reaction score
Let the AFCO/RM decide if you're not up for doing the task mate not yourself.
The depression you don't have to note in your medical and the bankrupcy will have to be resolved but go in to your AFCO and have your best crack at it to at least know where you stand mate. Otherwise you're not giving yourself a fair chance at it are you?

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just keep up your application and dont get your hopes up incase you get rejected. Its worth a try.

Mikey

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. Also sorry for dredging this thread back up, felt it rude of me not to reply.

I have thought long and hard and taken into account what I have read here and seen in the documentary. I just don't think I'm made of the right stuff. I have motivation, sure, but I highly doubt I will last during the training. Anyway, plan B is well underway, *text deleted*. Volunteering for the St John Ambulance and trying to keep my licence clean so I can become a EMT for the London Ambulance Service and work my way up to paramedic. I guess the simple fact of the matter is that I'll miss London too much. It's a shithole, but it's my kind of shithole :)

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mikey,

There is no shame in admitting the Royal Marines are not for you. Although they suggest you should try it, even if you think you can't do it, to know for sure. Even if you don't pass out, you'll learn plenty of life skills. The main thing is that you've *text deleted* want it. If you go in with doubts, it's *text deleted* be that much harder. I respect your decesion and wish you the best of luck !.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Mikey said:
It's highly unlikely that I'll pass the medical and security checks. I'll spare you the details, but I can tell you that I've had to declare bankruptcy and that I did suffer from depression in the past. It's my understanding that those two alone will disqualify me from joining.
PAGreenwell said:
You could always try the Royal Marines Reserve.
I'm afraid the same criteria applies to both.