My experinces so far.

MutleyM

Reaction score
"First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do"

Morning Guys

Just thought I would share want I am currently going through with my application, My recruit tests have been passed on 10/10/2011, I then had to wait till 14/03/2012 to get my eyes checked over (12 months form laser surgery, my prescription is 6/5 unaided and VA1 overall), This has been completed and sent back with my forms all filled out to best of my ability.

So now I am waiting to hear when my medical will be (I have ordered a full medical report from my doctors to take with me so that EVERYTHING can be looked at from the out set), I recommend people order this by putting a letter into there GP when they start there application so that way you are fully prepared (mine cost ?10 for all PC records and another ?40 for all written).

As per Ninja in post no-longer-validshowthread.php?t=36595[/url]

"If disclosed at the medical examination prior to joining, he would have been placed TMU, providing there was only one recorded incident pending verification by the GP.

If it was not disclosed at medical, but discovered after starting RT then it's technically a fraudulent application.

Whilst an individual may technically be eligible to apply, 3 years after a single recorded incident, it's unlikely permission will simply be routinely granted to re-enter if it wasn't disclosed or there are more than a single instance"

This has given me a great deal of hope, as although I had one bout of this just over three years ago I was worried I wouldn't pass the medical.

Following that I had a small bout of minor depression around September 2010 (lasting no more than a month but went to doctors to be safe given my past, Your application is nothing if you don't have your health).

I read this as I will be TMU till September 2013 which just means I can become a machine in the mean time. I am looking forward to doing everything I can to help my application and putting everything I have into training before I get to PRMC and then onto RT.

Any insights you wish to share or any questions you may have feel free to chip in. Sorry for the wall of text, but I hope my experiences may serve to help others.

- Mutley

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
In the case of self-harm, it's most certainly not an issue which is viewed lightly, particularly due to the nature of the Armed Forces and the job we do. That said, the Medical Examiner will give the official verdict.

A copy of medical records are only necessary if the individual has a medical history of any conditions listed in the medical standards for entry.

Under the Data Protection Act, a subject access request should cost nowhere near ?50 unless it runs into hundreds of pages and I'd be inclined to take your surgery to task for charging an exorbitant fee for a copy of data which is effectively yours.

Information Commissioner's Office said:
Subject access request (Data Protection Act) Under the Data Protection Act, individuals can ask to see the information about themselves that is held on computer and in some paper records. If an individual wants to exercise this subject access right, they should write to the person or organisation that they believe is processing the data.

A subject access request must be made in writing and must be accompanied by the appropriate fee. In most cases, the maximum fee will be ?10, but this can vary, particularly if the information requested is for health or educational records. If a subject access request is made to a credit reference agency for financial information (ie a credit file), then the fee is ?2, and the information must be provided within seven working days.

A request must include enough information to enable the person or organisation to whom the subject is writing to satisfy itself as to their identity and to find the information.
A reply must be received within 40 days as long as the necessary fee has been paid.

A data controller should act promptly in requesting the fee or any further information necessary to fulfil the request. If a data controller is not processing personal information of which this individual is the data subject, the data controller must reply saying so.

For more information, please see our pages on how to make a subject access request and how to respond to a subject access request.
More here: http://www.ico.gov.uk/tools_and_resources/glossary.aspx#s

Best of luck.

MutleyM

Reaction score
Thank you Ninja

I in no way believe that it should ever be taken lightly but I do hope that I can show that I have learnt from my mistakes and have matured since those times.

I'm looking forward to the medical and seeing where I stand and what (if anything) I can do to move forward with my aspirations.

The reason I am obtaining my records before hand is to give a complete picture to the medical examiner, including full dates etc ... and that way wont be wasting his/her time in the future if its unfortunately 100% a no go.

Just trying to be as complete as I can and then I know that I have done everything in my power to follow my dreams.

Thank you for your link and information, I will look further into that now.

Kind Regards

- Mutley

MutleyM

Reaction score
Hey Ninja

Just wanted to say thank you, The Doc's have returned ?40 of the fees for my records. I have my medical on 04/04/2012, So at least I can give them a complete background and get a definitive answer.

- Mutley