My new bike! (nearly)

Gixer600Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Erm hate to wee on your bonfire son. If you got the money, get something with a name like Honda CBR125 as if something goes wrong with this "Pulse" bike parts will be a barstool to get hold of, also you wont get the re-sale value as you would with the CBR. I had a CBR back in the day and it didnt put a foot wrong. Having said that its a nice bike you got there, your frst steps to the bigger stuff eh.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
CBR 125's are alright, I prefer the RR version. Also, if you don't mind rebuilding engines every 6 months, get an Aprilia RS125.

I just got rid of a CG 125. Awesome, classic bike.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
CBR 125's are alright, I prefer the RR version. Also, if you don't mind rebuilding engines every 6 months, get an Aprilia RS125.

I just got rid of a CG 125. Awesome, classic bike.

Aprilia have come a very long way. The new models are much better than the older ones. And to be fair if you look after a two stroke engine it will last. (i.e. constant change of fluids etc)

I raced the 125 and 250 classes in the past. And all on Aprilias.

Get a RS125 much much safer bet.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Or of course the new Yamaha R6 look alike R125

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
The shop im getting it from sell the parts.

I was looking to get an RS125 but the only ones that were a decent price were fully de-restricted so the insurance was stupid.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
So whats the deal with engine sizes and that, as in at what age can you ride which? Also what age do you have to be to get you full motorbike license?

I was told it was 21 and just wanted to know...

Cheers

Sam1

Reaction score
So whats the deal with engine sizes and that, as in at what age can you ride which? Also what age do you have to be to get you full motorbike license?

I was told it was 21 and just wanted to know...

Cheers

Right....

You take CBT at 16 which means you can ride a 50cc bike with L plates.
(CBT lasts 2 years)
When you turn 17, you can ride a 125cc bike with L plates on your CBT
At 17 you can take the A and A1 tests. Not sure which but i know one is you can ride upto a 33bhp bike without L plates.
With ^^^ that test, when you have been on that lisecence for 2 years you can ride any bike. So the earliest you can ride any bike is 19. or 21 if you choose to take it then. Correct me if im wrong lads?

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ah so if i started on a scooter at 16 i could now be on a beast of a motorbike as it is i have two years to wait till i can take my full motorbike license outright.

Seems peculiar that you can hold a full driving license at 17 but not a motorbike license till your 21. Seeing as a car is a much deadlier thing than a bike.

Cheers for reply, looks like i will be waiting till i am 21 then. I was told that was the age.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Gawd Damn! Well ill have a little look into it and report back!

Can you obtain your motorbike license with the marines?

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yes to take your full motorbike license you have to be 21. Which sucks!

As for your friend i think if he did what Sam said, i.e. started at 16 and he is insured then i think he is fine! Lucky git!

C

cujo

thats a nice looking bike mate, my mate has got one off them aswell, really cheap and its a 4 stroke so u shouldn't have any problems with it, maybe the odd electrics, not the quickest of bikes though, think my mate said he only got his going 70-80mph...take a look at mine see what you guys think...its a gas gas sm 125cc, same as one in pic -

BikePics - 2002 Gas Gas SM 125

Gixer600Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You can take your full test at 17 and be restricted like someone said 33bhp or 25kw for 2 years, then your free to ride whatever the hell you want...like me!

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I'm not sure, my mate is only 18 and he's got a 400cc, when it ain't working he drives his dads bikes which are all like 800-1000cc. Unless he is breaking teh law :amazed:

yeah he will be breaking the law.

And in my experience.....

18 year + 1000cc bike = death

you could do algbra with that..... D=a+cc

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Yes to take your full motorbike license you have to be 21. Which sucks!

As for your friend i think if he did what Sam said, i.e. started at 16 and he is insured then i think he is fine! Lucky git!

I think it mht of changed since i did mine then, i had a restricted licence then after 2 years i had a un restricetd licence.

then it was welcome to the world of super bikes mr stacka!

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Oh awesome! So i could take my full license test now, and then the instant i hit 21 go out an buy myself one monster of a bike! Sweet, xmas prezzies = money for bike test! w00p w00p

Does anyone know the reason you arent allowed a larger capacity bike till you are 21? i understand that there is a high risk of death but to be honest i drive quite a fast car and have done since passing and i think if driven incorrectly it would still be as dangerous if not more so due to the fact it is more dangerous to others.

Sorry to thread hijack, that is a v nice bike *text deleted*!

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Also would it be possible to buy a superbike, and put a restrictor on it so i could use it till i actually hit 21? I probably wouldnt bother but just an idea.

Naturally the restrictor may fall off/ come loose/ stop working for what ever reason.

Gixer600Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah velocity i belive mine just worked loose and fell out? Wierd. BUT i had to pay big insurance so universal balance was restored.

Sam1

Reaction score
she's a bewt i love enduro bikes my self i want to get a r 1200 gs when i can afford one! [/url]

yehhhh lovely bikes, my uncle has got one of those and said i could ride it one day but he was drunk so.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Harry McRunFast Quad Bike / ATV Jollies Bar 10
YellowBelly98 Assault bike workout Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 7
Chelonian Road bike GPS computer advice Jollies Bar 4