Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

My pjft time

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by BeardedMan, Feb 28, 2020.

1. BeardedMan

BeardedMan Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I did my pjft time today at 10 minutes and it’s the shitest time I’ve ever ran and I’m so mad at my self I’ve been running 9:10 and 8:50 for the last week I don’t know what happened today but I bottled it completely. Will be told to do it again to get a better time

2. BeardedMan

BeardedMan Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    If I’m honest I want to do it again to get a better time

3. bishopgab

bishopgab Well-Known Member

Keep your best time for PRMC or Rt training

• Like Like x 1
  4. BeardedMan

BeardedMan Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I’ll keep at it so my time improves

5. DeesMum

DeesMum Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    It might depend on your AFCO. My son got made to do it again. The staff at Nuffield were really angry that he was sent back and were going to be taking it up with whoever deals with that sort of thing. After a bit of a tantrum, then being told to suck it up, he got on with it and knocked 1 minute 15 off his time.

• Like Like x 5
  6. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Guest

PJFT is pass or fail. 10 mins is a pass so not sure why you think there would be a problem?

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  7. BeardedMan

BeardedMan Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I don’t know I just think that it might hold me back with going down to prmc

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It's a strange one. Anecdotally, several candidates who have recently achieved a pass at PJFT have been required to re-take it. I'm only speculating but it might be being done so that candidates with marginal scores demonstrate 'commitment'.
    Whatever the motivation the 'policy' (if that's what it is) arguably also breaches the contracted terms with the gym.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DeesMum

App Stage:
    Parent
    That was why the gym manager was really angry when my boy did a re-run. After he got a more acceptable time, he got told he had 4 weeks till his prmc.

• Like Like x 3
  10. BeardedMan

BeardedMan Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Guess it’s just going to be one of those where I’ll have to wait and see what my afco says

11. DeesMum

App Stage:
    Parent
    You might be okay. My sons AFCO rang him and tore strips off him within 20 minutes of him finishing his pjft. When he improved his time, he didn't get a phone call, just a portal message telling him when his prmc was booked for.

12. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Guest

Disappointing if this is the case. Never been a fan of creeping excellence, the standard should be the standard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Agreed. Pass/Fail on a criterion test should be unambiguous.

If the practice becomes widespread and if it is not a part of the existing contract I suspect that the contracted gyms might insist that a memo of advice is issued to AFCOs.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Given the general consensus that RT is arguably unnecessarily difficult with a 1.5mi return of greater than 9:30-10:00, would it not be prudent to just make the standards for the run more exacting, given that it will be done with the MSFT?

15. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Add to above:

The PJFT used to be different didn’t it? Am I right there was a 2% incline and 30 fewer seconds allowed?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  17. epicurean

epicurean Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Have you had a call yet? I wouldn’t worry too much about the time, worse case scenario is that you’ll be asked to do it again. Everyone has off days but realistically you’ve still came in 30 seconds under time and on PRMC that will still be 1:30 faster then minimum.

If you’re getting around the 9 minute mark then you’ll be fine.

I’m a *text deleted* runner, usually near the back all the time but I still got a Halliday award on prmc and I’m in training at the moment...running isn’t the be all and end all of what the corps wants from a recruit. Some of the best runners in training are absolutely terrible at other things like yomping, ropes and swimming.

That being said I think it’s about time the pjft was scrapped and everyone that wants to join has to do an RMAD instead. People that bragged in the past to me about how they can do a bft at warp speed then turn up to an RMAD or PRMC and fail miserably.

going off on a tangent now, best of luck. Don’t get sucked into your times too much, just be confident

• Like Like x 2
  18. BeardedMan

BeardedMan Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I still haven’t gotten the call yet don’t know when I’ll get it but I think I might get one on Monday. I don’t think I’m that worried anymore like you said running at the top speed isn’t the be all and at the end of the day we all have bad days I’ll just make sure I get it right on prmc. cheers for the advice