My running is lacking.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As the title says, my upper-body and my abs are good... but my running isn't as good as it should be. Any tips on how to run or any special techniques? I'm sure I could do the PRMC but i want to be even more prepared for it. Thanks :D -Adam

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i recomend interval training too, it helped me improve i think. Also, running longer distances, try 4 - 6 miles twice a week as well as *text deleted* shorter distances, the theory being that if you can crack 6 miles in a decent time, 3 miles will come easier *text deleted*

its workin for me anyhow!

gd luck with it anyway!

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
x3 for Interval training.

Otherwise... run run run.. 4 times a week atleast, and mix up the distances etc. Make a routine.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i was personally woundering the same as well. for those who have 21 mins or under as their average time on the 3 miler, what sort of running do you do most often or what did you found helped you the most. interval training or just running 3 to 4 miles at an average pace or at a running pace?

because im thinking if i do 4 miles over and over again i will find it easier and my speed will increase.

im currently jogging at a 7:45 to 8 minute mile pace on average but i run at 7:30 to 7:45 and im hoping to get this down to a 7 minute mile pace that is just faster than my jogging pace.

any help would be great as im starting to struggle to get my time back to what it used to be when i was ridding my bike 10 miles 5 days a week (which i cant do anymore due to not being able to leave it outside college, even locked)

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I feel my running is at a pretty good standard. Mix it up, interval, continuous and fartlek training. I have a post somewhere in training suggestions or whatever its called, with quite a detailed training programme. may help people.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* all :D Just been on a 4 mile run, it wasn't getting out of breath that annoyed me this time it was those damn stiches :P

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
whats your average mile pace? and whats your fastest on 3 miles and 4 miles? if you dont mind saying that is.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know, i could probably find out but it wouldn't be worth saying *text deleted* :P

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i was personally woundering the same as well. for those who have 21 mins or under as their average time on the 3 miler, what sort of running do you do most often or what did you found helped you the most. interval training or just running 3 to 4 miles at an average pace or at a running pace?

because im thinking if i do 4 miles over and over again i will find it easier and my speed will increase.

im currently jogging at a 7:45 to 8 minute mile pace on average but i run at 7:30 to 7:45 and im hoping to get this down to a 7 minute mile pace that is just faster than my jogging pace.

any help would be great as im starting to struggle to get my time back to what it used to be when i was ridding my bike 10 miles 5 days a week (which i cant do anymore due to not being able to leave it outside college, even locked)
Really, the best way to get better at something is just to do it.. HIIT is great as a secondary addition but first and foremost you should just do the run.

I've gotten my 3.4 miler(That's my 3 miler *text deleted*)down from about 25 mins to 21:40 in the past month which I think is pretty good. I do that run and I do my 5.2 miler which is timed also and I always try to improve it.

So like I say *text deleted*, mix it up, do the runs regularly and try and improve your times and it will happen! Make sure to rest|(and eat well) too... that's just as important.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
just a quick question but do many of you just jog or do you acctually run on your 3 and 4 milers+? reason is i mix it up along the run between jogging and running, (not interval training as such because i run at random times)

but would you guys say i should be running the entire of the 4 miles or is it ok to jog it and still improve?

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Jogging is the best way to build you fitness up guys, If your new and not very fit id say start jogging its the best way to build up your aerobic strength. It really is alot easier and can go alot further then start picking the pace up. It really is the best way to get fit.

Sam

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I dissagre with jogging being the best way to improve.
To develop aerobic fitness effectivly, your heart rate needs to be sustained between 70 and 80% of maximum HR (220-your age). I doubt that your HR is that high whilst jogging.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I dissagre with jogging being the best way to improve.
To develop aerobic fitness effectivly, your heart rate needs to be sustained between 70 and 80% of maximum HR (220-your age). I doubt that your HR is that high whilst jogging.
Yeah but providing your jogging longer distances then it's ok, you need muscular endurance too! :)

Which is why mixing it up is important.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
see now i should be working at 148 beats per minute to be working at 70% MHR, so how will i know how fast to go *text deleted*. its all well and good me knowing that. should i find it hard to breath and be taking in pretty deep breaths for the fuyll 4 miles?

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Enough with all your pro running talk *text deleted*, i have another question: Why does it hurt more when I strench? I'm doing the correct positions and durations and the stretches are from a RN Guide book. thanks

Srew

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware you are required to do sub 7:30 minute miles at the least on you're PRMC, but I could be wrong. I run 4 times per week doing 3miles, 4miles, 5miles and 7 miles. I also do 2x intervel training, and 2x hill sprints/reps, as well as the Royal Marines circuit training programme off their website and it seems to work quite well. Don't start off doing to much, tailor you're training to your level of fitness and build from there.

All the best, Screw.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah but providing your jogging longer distances then it's ok, you need muscular endurance too! :)

Which is why mixing it up is important.

Ywa but if your going for 3 miles anyway your going to be working muscular endurance.

Agreed you do need to mix up your running without a doubt, but jogging all the time isnt going to develop your aerobic fitness very well, it would be better to run a full two miles at 70-80% HR, than one mile at that and then another 2 slowly.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ywa but if your going for 3 miles anyway your going to be working muscular endurance.

Agreed you do need to mix up your running without a doubt, but jogging all the time isnt going to develop your aerobic fitness very well, it would be better to run a full two miles at 70-80% HR, than one mile at that and then another 2 slowly.
Yeah but I was referring to jogging on longer distances. :bigsmile:

My running has been P'ing me off lately I was going to make a thread but F it, I'll just post it here.

It's to do with my 3 miler(3.4 to be exact) I've noticed that if I don't do it for a week or so, my time goes up, has anyone else noticed this? Maybe It's too much to expect to be able to get atleast the same time or better everytime you run?

Here are my times, this is the 2nd time this has happened as you'll see. I keep looking for excuses cause I don't know what it could be, I put 100% in everytime.

3rd may- 23:52
10thmay- 22:33
17thmay- 23:01(this)
18thmay- 22:01
21thmay- 21:41
28thmay- 22:19(this)
29thmay- 21:56

Maybe it's because their such small increment differences that they can be easily influenced by how you 'feel' on the day??

My theory/excuses are that these higher times as the list goes down and should be progressing are because I was wearing trousers on those runs instead of shorts *text deleted*, maybe that's a cop out though, does it make that much of a difference? hmmm Also on the 28th the ground was wet and slushy(I run around a sort of dusty/gravel/rocky road, it's around an active lagoon) OR it's because I didn't run for a week before doing them... Those are my theories but the main question is, does anyone else get this? Am I expecting too much? Or even should I be improving these times faster? Is my rate of improvement slow? I do find the runs very intense.. My goal anyway is sub 21 minutes, I think that's reasonable?

I've been running for a while now, on and off for the past couple of years but never really timing myself etc so I'm not as knowledgable on it as people who have been doing it for ages so if you care to enlighten me, please do. :cheesy:

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
im not an expert on running but i stopped running for a week nearly 2 at one point and it hit my times bad, im now back to an average of 3 miles in 23 to 24 minutes, when jogging. from an average of maybe about 21 minutes. its really getting me down but im pushing on. anyway its not motivation your after. but its probably because your muscles have relaxed to much. the body adapts to be able to cope with a certain intensity and amount of fitness you do on a regular basis, so say you do 3 miles every day and run all the time then your body will adapt and then it becomes easier.
but when you stop doing that then your body relaxes and thinks that its not doing the same intesity of exercise so the muscles can shrink or relax if you like.

im probably talking complete and utter bull*text deleted**text deleted* here, but by the looks of things your body changes rapidly. so as long as you dont stop for longer than a week at all, you should be fine.