My Story. Is it time to Re-Apply... Advice?

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alright guys. Just after some general oppinions from people really.

Basically my current situation is as follows.

Last year i spent most of the spring training and applying for the RM.
I then got a PRMC date of mid September. Unfortunatly i had a bad case of shin splints that had been around for a couple of months prior to that.
In the months leading up the the PRMC i rested,saw many Physio's,podiatrists,and the general oppinion was that i had nothing majorly wrong,but had just done too much too soon and developed some nasty shin splints (MTSS i think)

Treatment wise,i felt i was doing all i could,stretching,iceing,non impact work.But for months i had no progress. I ended up calling off my PRMC and left it at the stage where id call them.

Weeks turned to months and we entered the new year. I made it my goal to recover as soon as possible and begin the application progress again.

I saw another local Physio in the early months (Mid Jan) and basically said that the pain was a lot better,and i was going to start some light running as nothing i done seemed to make much difference anyway. He told me to be carefull and listen to my body,but he said that some pain shouldnt put me off. Obviously dont run through agonising pain,but for what im looking to do as a career,some things just need to be worked through. And since i didnt have a mechanical problem as such that he wasnt completly against running.

So i kept my usual training log as always,and started to track my progress. In the start of the year i began running once a week at 10 minutes. Very light pace. I kept that up for a few weeks. Then began to run 15 minutes,then 20.
I then started to run (still only once a week so far) up my local downs,about 3-4 miles and at about 30+ minutes with some circuits thrown in to make it a worthwhile session. These have been pretty dam tough (Running with MidnightAssasin *text deleted* ,he can attest!) and im suprised how little trouble ive got from them. I only experience aches in the days after running (DOMS in the legs from begining to run again,but also the slight dull ache and twinges around the imflamation on the bone),but i continue to ice it 3/4 times daily,and stretch.

As of a few weeks back i felt i was getting on fairly well with my run each week so i decided to introduce another 'small' 10 minute run mid week. Ive done this for 2/3 weeks now,with last weeks small run being a simulated PJFT after 30 minutes of rowing/bike. I achieved near enough 9.40 which i was fairly happy with seeing as ive been trying to keep my fitness by rowing /clycing and swimming.

Now today im going to go out and make today my 'mid week' run. Im going to move from the treadmill to soft flat ground. Trying to cover about 2-3 miles. Hopefully this will be ok,and then give me a good few days to do non impact training before my good run at the weekend.

So currently,im running twice a week,plus doing circuits,weights,swimming,rowing and cycling,and i feel my fitness (Although not amazing) is there to pass a PJFT,and possibly with some more tweaking , a PRMC.

Training hasnt been a struggle, i love it,and its been constant (with enough rest days) ever since i first began thinking about the RM seriously last year.
The mental side of not being able to do what you want straight away is a bit of a downer,ive had some sh*t times just being sat in my room not being able to walk without pain.But those days seem to be behind me and im hopefully back on track.

Latly ive been contemplating going to the AFCO again and starting up my application. But im in two minds.
All of my mates,and RM buddies tell me to get my arse down there asap,and that i should stop winging about any pain. And to be fair,a little pain isnt a problem, i think i have the potential the pass a PRMC at this stage.Its more of a mental thing 'Will my injury come back'.

Or do i sit out and wait till im 100% better. If i was to compare this to when i had my PJFT last year (Onset of the problem) id say im 90% better. With only SOME pains (dull aches) around the shin bone area. A lot of people keep saying to me "How long will you have to wait"..."what have you got to lose" etc. So im starting to think,maybe its just one of those things. Im over the worst of it,and i may get some slight niggle from time to time,but its nothing other lads havnt had before,or will in the future.

If im honest,im still slightly worried. But i would like to see myself,applying soon (Want to ring this week sometime),and possibly going on a PRMC in a couple of months. Maybe drawing it out till end of summer. That way ive A)Got somthing to look forward to,and a date in my head. B) Time to further train/rest accordingly.

Now theres really only two replies ill get back.

a)Go for it,ill be fine. Grin and bear some niggles along the way

b)Sit back and wait till your 100%

Some lads have been lucky enough to never get an injury,and some have had some pretty tough ones to deal with. Mines nothing life threatening,but its just gutting from time to time. But like i say,im starting to sway to the attitude "Nows the time,get on it,and everyones got some pains from time to time)

Thanks
Sam

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My advice would be B, it is all well grinning and bearing the shin splints but say you on the 3miler which is very intence towards the end as you spriting over the line and they come back to the point were you cant evan run on them??? Thats 1 PRMC Fail out of 3. Wait untill you 100% and dont damage any chances you have. Its not like your on a time line to join, and not only that going into RT on any sort of an injury is a bad idea full stop. I know lads that have been put into Hunter before they evan get out of foundation.

Azza01

Reaction score
Thas is a tough situation *text deleted*, having previously had shin splints i can relate to how annoying they are, the only thing i wud say it if you start applying gradually start adding more runs to test the durability of the shins, because if you only run 2x a week with a big gap bewteen them, having to run like everyday/multiple times a day on the PRMC could trigger it off, so i guess its up to you. You could always start applying and drag it out a little more if you really need to...

Rikko

Reaction score
I cant coment on the pain factor of shin splints but my advise also would be (b) having completed PRMC if you are not 100% fighting fit belive me your injury will soon return when you get cracking for the 3 days and like lord said thats 1fail out of 3 so i would wait. Bearing in mind that you never really stop running on PRMC you have to run everywhere and always on the spot when taking instructions.

Get well soon mate:albert:

Rikko

Bish

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
alryt mate i would have to say b because even if you manage the 3 days on your RT if you get shin splints i think you are discharged im not 100% sure someone else will be able to shed some light on that but if youve got a little injury its definately *text deleted* get brought out on RT. All The Best Mate

Ant Bish

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There's little point going into recruit training carrying a known injury before you even start.

Despite what your friends maybe telling you:

If a known medical condition, for which you have had treatment/consultation, occurs in the first 56 days of training which you failed to disclose, you will be medically discharged.

Shin splints can often be caused by inadequately padded or compacted heels on your training shoes. If they're over a year old, it's probably worth changing them.

Some people find insoles work. (others don't)

Whatever you choose, you are best carrying on with non-impact CV to maintain the fitness tempo for a good 3-6 months & then when running without discomfort re-apply. Good luck.

Creed

Reaction score
Always good to have a nice pair of Running shoes Helix soled running shoes are very handy to prevent shin splints

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I always change my running shoes mate. Even though i dont run much. They have been sold to me by a very good local running shop.

Rikko

Reaction score
Are you medically discharged anyway before your 56 days are up or is it only if a problem reappears that you failed to mention in your medical and things like that.

Rikko

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I was pretty certain as to what people would say. Things latly dont seem to be too great. I was so geared up to applying,but I know that in the long run its not the best option.

I work at nights (Doorman) and my days are often filled with training,and then countless hours of boredom. This has been the same way for the last year,and since last summer when I injured myself Ive kept my chin up and trained as best as I could,knowing that one day Ill get the chance to give it my all.

The annoying thing is not knowing how long an injury will take to heal 100%. Like I say,this has been ongoing since around Aug last year and when i thought things were often back on track,they came right back around and bit me in the arse. So I dont want that to happen again.

I think ill keep running once a week. But re-evaluate my program and see if i can ease it up somehow and just keep going for the time being.

Ill get there in the end. Very depressing though!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Are you medically discharged anyway before your 56 days are up or is it only if a problem reappears that you failed to mention in your medical and things like that.

Rikko
The "Attestation Form" (the bit of paper on which you actually 'sign-on') states that if a medical condition arises in the first 56 days of training you MAY be medically discharged.

The issue is if it's a previously "Known" condition, it means you have withheld information & therefore have made a fraudulent application- you will quite possibly be stopped from rejoining when fit if it can be proven you knew about it before you joined but neglected to tell the Medical Examiner.