My story so far, advice needed. Thanks

donb

Reaction score
Good morning all it’s my goal to be a Royal Marine Commando and hears my story thus far

Having recently applied to join the RAF as a WSOp(Weapon System Operator) and failed to even make the filter interview stage due to lack of life skills. I’ve decided to get back into a normal routine and settle back into a basic job and peruse my original ambition of been a Royal Marine Commando. After seeing the RAF recruitment campaign on TV and noticing they where after ICT Techs’ (my field) I phoned up for a brochure but after having a good read thought and reading a lot of diary’s from people currently in service as techs it didn’t seem it was all it was cracked up to be, thus I ended up applying for WSOp EW (electronic warfare). Obviously a big mistake as it was way out my league and not of a particular interest, having never left the county and not having any flying experience or anything in my past pointing towards WSOp they turned me down promptly. They told me to apply for something else or come back in a year with some life skills to which I asked what specifically and was told to help grannies across the road and delivery meals on wheels. (Got to admire their humour)

My reason for not applying for the Royal Marines in the first place was due to an ongoing sporting injury and knowing it would take me a good while to recover and get to a level of fitness required for the RM. After the lengthy process of waiting to hear from the RAF I am pretty much mended to a point where I can train adequately to the stature of a commando and won’t let anything side track me.

This brings me to my questions and the needing of your advice before I pick up the phone and get the ball rolling again. I passed the main subjects in school and along my journey have gained a qualification in plumbing and 2 IT qualifications 1 of which is the equivalent to an A level.
I never attended Uni and all the jobs I’ve worked in the past have been of a part time, get by stature. (supermarkets, labourer etc) I didn’t attend any youth organisations as a child and don’t have any team leading skills per say. I’ve taught IT in the past voluntarily as well as MMA (mixed martial arts) but as life skills go at least on the RAF side of things that’s not adequate.

What should I do, or what do I need to do to gain some life experience before applying for the RM and will have applying for the RAF and been knocked back effect my RM application. In my eyes it doesn’t look clever going for two totally different careers. For reference I won’t be applying for RM for at least a few months.

I’m assuming (not always the best thing to do) that Ninja or RMRO would be the best people to answer this, but all views and opinions are welcome however harsh they may be and thank you in advance for you input.

Don

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya chap,

First off unlucky on the RAF, they are not want you want anyway ;-)

Secondly, life experience is only necessary if your applying for an Officer position, which from your post doesnt look likely as you do not have the required A-lvls.

Thirdly, i do not think because you were turned away that it will be taken into account when applying for the RM. I am sure your AFCO will make up there own minds as to whether they feel you are fit to join.

If you feel you are now ready and able to train to join then go ahead and go for it!

I am sure if i got anything wrong Ninja, GW or the guys will correct me.

Good Luck!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Don,

I'm not 100% sure on the answers to your question but others should be here shortly to help you with certainty.

One thing I think they are looking for is your committment to the RM's application and that if the RAF came back and said reapply in 4 months, then you wouldn't drop your RM career for it.

Also research what it is that the RM's have on offer for you, a bit into the history and be able to answer their question about it.

If you get things like that sorted you should be fine.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
... I passed the main subjects in school and along my journey have gained a qualification in plumbing and 2 IT qualifications 1 of which is the equivalent to an A level.

Hi Don,

Having pared the question down to the bare bones, If you want to join as an Officer you simply need 5 GCSE's A*-C including maths & English and 180 UCAS points at A level standard.

The 180 UCAS points must be come from at least two non-overlapping subjects, with each contributing component worth more than 45 UCAS points.

As correctly pointed out by v3locity, above, you are free to apply as an Other Rank candidate,

Good luck.

donb

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies so far, my post was long winded as it was and I thought anymore would be a chore to read. My interested is only in been a RM and not an Officer. Am I right in assuming life skills per say would not matter applying for this role and as long as I were to pass all there required tests I wouldn’t get turned down? Or would it still be worth while seeking something to show ive done something with my life? Cadet instructor etc?

Thanks again

Don