My story

spiderman

Reaction score
HI everyone. I dont know if anyone remebers me but I was on this site a while back and have just come back. Well heres my story. After thinking a lot I decided to join The Rifles in the British Army. I started training, getting quite fit. Passed all the tests and then the medical questionnaire came up and the army docs decided to medically defer me for having a history of perthes disease. So instead of stuffing my dream I went and got X-rays, letters from consultants etc to prove I dont have the disease any longer. Three months later or longer later I got my selection date for the 8 august. Went there with bad tonsilitis could barely speak *text deleted*. They didn't notice that in the medical which is very thorough but they found a heart murmur and high blood pressure so i was defered once more. Since then have had heart scans etc and i do not have a heart murmur it was innocent and my GP said i have perfectly normal blood pressure however the army want to see 24 hour blood pressure monitoring which I finnaly have a hospital appointment for next week i have been in the application proccess for nearly nine months now. Lately I have just sat on my bum doing no exercise and eating due to all these setbacks leaving me with no motivation however even though this site is for potential marines it has given me loads of motivation today to get me back in training and carry on my dream. Thanks guys thou
ght I'd share my story cheers. Great site as always.
WEbby

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Mate,

Good to hear you haven't given up. Whilst you are right the site is aimed at those wanting to join the Royal Marines, it's open and welcoming to anyone interested in any of the armed forces.

Unfortunately medicals are one of those things you have little control over, but don't give in mate you'll come through it.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As GW says, the very best of luck to you.

The site is indeed aimed at welcoming & helping all who aspire to join the services, regardless of which. When all's said and done, despite understandable rivalries which help promote high standards, we are all on the same side & sadly people seem to forget that sometimes.

We wish you well & please feel free to join in here!

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hello mate, welcome to the site and good luck joining the rifles!

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You got the right attitude *text deleted*. You just need to get into a ruitene and start from the start. You will get there!

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
mate i hope it all works out for you , the rifles is a great regiment

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ye mate, hope it all goes alright for you. You'll get there in the end.
I was knocked backed on my medical aswell and I havn't given in. I'll show the ba$tards.

spiderman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the support guys I have been in training since I posted. I will continually stay on this advice for help and suggestions etc. Thanks
Webby

spiderman

Reaction score
ooo and I was on this site as spiderman before I think *text deleted* cheers

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi mate

You know if you want your old account back we can start it up again or reset the password.

If you do just let us know,

Cheers GW

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Fair play to you mate. Good luck

Booker

Reaction score
Seeing this has given me a ray of hope, although it is only a small ray *text deleted*, so here is my story, bear with me.

A year ago my sister had 'womens problems', and after going for some tests they found out that she had Haemophila C, Known as Factor XI defiency. Unlike the other two factors, both A and B, type C has no correlation with the defiency severity and the number, for example, a normal reading is 70 U/ML, and cases have seen that unless you have a reading between 1 - 20 U/ML, it will not effect you. Also someone with a reading of 69, may be effected, whereas someone with a reading of 55 U/ML will not.

Going through the application process I decided to declare this, and after recieving a letter from one of the medical men from the RM, have been medically rejected. I am however taking iron tablets, and listenign to my doctors advice, as your level can be boosted via your diet, so after 3 years or uni, and dozens of blood tests, I may get a chance. Although it may just be false hope, but at least it is some hope.

Good luck to you.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
In my experience, the overriding factor to remember is the Medical Examiner AND the Careers Advisers actually want you to pass, however we are bound by rules and regulations.

On many occasions, having passed someone on all elements of selection, the medical can often be the thing that stops entry. Oddly, it often feels like the good guys are the ones that suffer whilst the ones who are borderline in all other selection aspects seem to sail through the medical.

My advice is to keep plugging away, biding your time & hopefully you can eventually be passed fit if it's at all possible given the stringent standards set.

Booker

Reaction score
Yeah abit of advice ninja, and any others who have any similarities to me. Do you feel that it would be better to appeal straight off, or bide my time, slowly increasing the iron in my blood through diet and suppliments, and then SHOULD there be a change in the level, although it may not happen, then re-apply and go from there ?

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The (very) rough rule of thumb is that you must be clear of all medication, treatment, physiotherapy or surgery for a set period of time before you may join.

To that end you need to have recovered before you join, rather than being in the process of recovery.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja - how long is the surgery time? Guy at my AFCO wasnt sure when I asked.

I lopped half my thumb off (down the side of thumb) when i went through my kitchen door window (door was locked.. dont open a door by pushing the glass kids!), surgery fixed it properly, full use and cleared by physio and was just over 2 years ago, would this be ok?

spiderman

Reaction score
Thanks GW I have now remebered my password so I will be using this account from now on!

New Threads