My Training Journal

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
Alright guys, I don't think this is usually the done thing here, but I'm not going to lie; I could use some help.

Like everyone here, the goal is to join the Royal Marines. And I'm coming up with a few issues here and there, and trying to overcome them. Figured if I could come on here, own up to it and hold myself accountable to it.

I'll just talk about my progress, workouts etc. Helping myself keep track with everything, and may turn into a half decent read eventually.

Been struggling with keeping consistent with the running. I find myself making these elaborate schedules and plans that I wouldn't follow. So, decided to actually fix it and change what I'm doing. I'm following the running program that's suggested on the "Get fit to apply" poster.

Monday: 30 min Tempo Run
Tuesday:
Wednesday: 30 min Tempo Run
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday: 60 min Steady Run
Sunday:

Also doing jiu jitsu and MMA sessions 2-3x a week. With a manual labour job (construction) which is also 2-3x a week.

Started on the 28th with the 60 min run, managed to cover 5 miles of undulating terrain. Not sure if thats any good, but not a big fan of running and have always struggled with it. So I'm pretty happy with it, room for improvement, but happy with it none the less.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Alright guys, I don't think this is usually the done thing here, but I'm not going to lie; I could use some help.

Like everyone here, the goal is to join the Royal Marines. And I'm coming up with a few issues here and there, and trying to overcome them. Figured if I could come on here, own up to it and hold myself accountable to it.

I'll just talk about my progress, workouts etc. Helping myself keep track with everything, and may turn into a half decent read eventually.

Been struggling with keeping consistent with the running. I find myself making these elaborate schedules and plans that I wouldn't follow. So, decided to actually fix it and change what I'm doing. I'm following the running program that's suggested on the "Get fit to apply" poster.

Tuesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Sunday:

Also doing jiu jitsu and MMA sessions 2-3x a week. With a manual labour job (construction) which is also 2-3x a week.

Started on the 28th with the 60 min run, managed to cover 5 miles of undulating terrain. Not sure if thats any good, but not a big fan of running and have always struggled with it. So I'm pretty happy with it, room for improvement, but happy with it none the less.[/QUOTE

What stage are you at currently on your application? could give some detail or personal preference then

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Tuesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Sunday:

Started on the 28th with the 60 min run, managed to cover 5 miles of undulating terrain. Not sure if thats any good, but not a big fan of running and have always struggled with it. So I'm pretty happy with it, room for improvement, but happy with it none the less.

What stage are you at currently on your application? Could give some detail on personal preference then.

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
My goals for next upcoming months are
(Goal > how im going to achieve it)

1. Currently weigh 206.6 ibs/93.7kg, want to weigh 195ibs/88.4 (failed my medical on this)> Taking CLA tablets, watching diet

2. Run 3 miles in under 25 minutes (closer to 30 mins currently) > Running 3 times a week. Following "get fit to apply" poster

3. Get rid of back spots (failed my medical on this) > Scrubbing shoulders/back area hard with a bar of soap, use a towel as "friction" to help scrub any thing dead off. Also found doing my long run, just taking off my tshirt for 10-2o minutes helps dry the spots a little more due to the sun.

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
What stage are you at currently on your application? Could give some detail on personal preference then.

Haven't passed my medical yet due to having a too high of a BMI, and the spots on my back. So just focusing on that best as i can, then to be able to pass the PJFT as soon as possible after.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My goals for next upcoming months are
(Goal > how I'm going to achieve it)

1. Currently weigh 206.6 ibs/93.7kg, want to weigh 195ibs/88.4 (failed my medical on this)> Taking CLA tablets, watching diet

2. Run 3 miles in under 25 minutes (closer to 30 mins currently) > Running 3 times a week. Following "get fit to apply" poster

3. Get rid of back spots (failed my medical on this) > Scrubbing shoulders/back area hard with a bar of soap, use a towel as "friction" to help scrub any thing dead off. Also found doing my long run, just taking off my tshirt for 10-2o minutes helps dry the spots a little more due to the sun.

Agh I see under your name it sais “passed medical” so wasn’t sure what stage you was at!

How tall are you?

I failed my 1st medical on BMI so I know how annoying it is , depending how over you are when you’ve lost the extra bit itl help your running times when your lighter on your feet , add in swimming few times a week if possible that will help you a lot with your cardio aswell as weight loss/toning up.

I’m not sure what the spots are down to could be your age if your fairly young and just one of them things

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
Agh I see under your name it sais “passed medical” so wasn’t sure what stage you was at!

How tall are you?

I failed my 1st medical on BMI so I know how annoying it is , depending how over you are when you’ve lost the extra bit itl help your running times when your lighter on your feet , add in swimming few times a week if possible that will help you a lot with your cardio aswell as weight loss/toning up.

I’m not sure what the spots are down to could be your age if your fairly young and just one of them things

Haha no worries mate. I'm a little under 6ft, so like 181-182cm. My BMI is 28.8 or something similar, can't quite remember off the top of my head.

That's definitely one of the reasons why I want to get closer to 195. I've already lost a few pounds, just need to keep it up.

Well I'm 18, so spots here and there are *text deleted* exist. They've decreased a hell of a lot since the medical, just can't get behind taking anti biotics. I felt weak and sluggish. I felt like I was running a few revs under what I should be.

Swimming I really want to look into. I enjoy it, but getting around isn't that easy for me. I feel that I just need practice for it, Im confident in the water, so that isn't an issue. Figured once my running becomes established as a decent level, I could start adding it in after I pass my PJFT.

Just need to keep it simple. So I can wrap my head around it. Do 'x' on this day for this long, then I'm done for the that session. Then I can enjoy my fighting and such. When I'm running, it's not that bad, especially when I've got a mate with me. But it's just getting up and doing it. Can't "scare" or "talk" myself out of it. If that makes sense

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20-20 as they say. I spent the last 2 years of my life doing powerlifting. Little to no running. I got pretty strong, but I was heavy. And couldn't move too fast. If I could change what I did, and had the knowledge I have right now, I'd go back and do what I'm doing now. Maybe do a triathlon program as I would have 2 years to improve everything.

But now I actually have to own up to that decision. And fix what I'm doing to achieve this goal that I've wanted for as long as I can remember. I've got a friend of mine whos *text deleted* try and run with me at least once a week. Most likely the long 60 min run. Helps me keep the pace too as we'd be talking here and there. Helps forget the pain in my lungs! Aha

Anyway, I'm here to change what I've been doing. I need to own it, and fix it. I've got a simple plan, it's fool proof, just have to stick to it. I have no reason to talk myself out of it anymore

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Haha no worries mate. I'm a little under 6ft, so like 181-182cm. My BMI is 28.8 or something similar, can't quite remember off the top of my head.

That's definitely one of the reasons why I want to get closer to 195. I've already lost a few pounds, just need to keep it up.

Well I'm 18, so spots here and there are *text deleted* exist. They've decreased a hell of a lot since the medical, just can't get behind taking anti biotics. I felt weak and sluggish. I felt like I was running a few revs under what I should be.

Swimming I really want to look into. I enjoy it, but getting around isn't that easy for me. I feel that I just need practice for it, I'm confident in the water, so that isn't an issue. Figured once my running becomes established as a decent level, I could start adding it in after I pass my PJFT.

Just need to keep it simple. So I can wrap my head around it. Do 'x' on this day for this long, then I'm done for the that session. Then I can enjoy my fighting and such. When I'm running, it's not that bad, especially when I've got a mate with me. But it's just getting up and doing it. Can't "scare" or "talk" myself out of it. If that makes sense

Not to far off the BMI limit then you should check what your waist measurement is?

Yea just stick with it dude you’ll get there do doubt! , that’s good then fella could be just your age tho being only 18.

Because you need to lose weight I would add swimming in straight away it’s the best thing for weight loss and it won’t effect your joints like running all the time will it’ll also improve your overall cardio fitness.

Have you tried pjft or treadmill mocks as of yet?

Not sure if you are signed up for a gym but I find that a good incentive to keep focused as you see same people all the time and gives you more reason to go especially if you start hitting it off with a fitty.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20-20 as they say. I spent the last 2 years of my life doing powerlifting. Little to no running. I got pretty strong, but I was heavy. And couldn't move too fast. If I could change what I did, and had the knowledge I have right now, I'd go back and do what I'm doing now. Maybe do a triathlon program as I would have 2 years to improve everything.

But now I actually have to own up to that decision. And fix what I'm doing to achieve this goal that I've wanted for as long as I can remember. I've got a friend of mine whos *text deleted* try and run with me at least once a week. Most likely the long 60 min run. Helps me keep the pace too as we'd be talking here and there. Helps forget the pain in my lungs! Aha

Anyway, I'm here to change what I've been doing. I need to own it, and fix it. I've got a simple plan, it's fool proof, just have to stick to it. I have no reason to talk myself out of it anymore

That makes sense they do say all thst heavy lifting you need to stop it as itl effect you overall running capabilities and will sap your energy quickly carrying all that extra muscle.

What’s your test stats like press/pull/sit-ups?

Also when’s your next medical booked in for looking at your BMI csnt see it being to long sein as your not far off the limit.

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
Not to far off the BMI limit then you should check what your waist measurement is?

Yea just stick with it dude you’ll get there do doubt! , that’s good then fella could be just your age tho being only 18.

Because you need to lose weight I would add swimming in straight away it’s the best thing for weight loss and it won’t effect your joints like running all the time will it’ll also improve your overall cardio fitness.

Have you tried pjft or treadmill mocks as of yet?

Not sure if you are signed up for a gym but I find that a good incentive to keep focused as you see same people all the time and gives you more reason to go especially if you start hitting it off with a fitty.

My waist is a little too big. I'm a pretty stocky guy. I'm glad I did powerlifting though, I mean, my joints and bones feel pretty strong. I don't feel fragile or anything.

Alright, what would you suggest? Not sure if I'll be able to do it every week, but I could give it a shot.

I tried one a while ago. It felt extremely uncomfortable running on a treadmill. But running on a road, fastest 1.5 mile I've done is approximately 14 minutes. It wasn't done twice, but that's the fastest I've done.

I'm only signed up with a MMA gym, which I have hit off with a few people ahah. Getting some extra sessions there too. One of my bigger fears is the bleep test, never really been good at it. So I wanted to do one session a week where I'd do some kind of circuit with the guy that just burns your lungs. I've noticed that my general endurance is going up slowly. I do double sessions there, so sometimes I end up getting that feeling of throwing up from pushing so hard.

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
That makes sense they do say all thst heavy lifting you need to stop it as itl effect you overall running capabilities and will sap your energy quickly carrying all that extra muscle.

What’s your test stats like press/pull/sit-ups?

Also when’s your next medical booked in for looking at your BMI csnt see it being to long sein as your not far off the limit.

I think it has its pros and cons. But for this instance, I just think I did it wrong. Could have done a weight session once or twice a week, then did some kind of cardio 3-5x, it probably would have turned up alright. But I ended up just doing 3-5x a week of just 531 without much conditioning work.

I can't tell you what it is to a bleep. But I can do roughly 5+ pull ups, 20 push ups. And last time I checked sit ups were close to 50.
I've only started doing them again, greasing the groove. I can do 15 really easily, but once I get past 16 I start slowing down. So I'd just do a set of 15 and a set of 5 pull ups when I get back from work, then I'd do another "round" after my running an MMA stuff

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My waist is a little too big. I'm a pretty stocky guy. I'm glad I did powerlifting though, I mean, my joints and bones feel pretty strong. I don't feel fragile or anything.

Alright, what would you suggest? Not sure if I'll be able to do it every week, but I could give it a shot.

I tried one a while ago. It felt extremely uncomfortable running on a treadmill. But running on a road, fastest 1.5 mile I've done is approximately 14 minutes. It wasn't done twice, but that's the fastest I've done.

I'm only signed up with a MMA gym, which I have hit off with a few people ahah. Getting some extra sessions there too. One of my bigger fears is the bleep test, never really been good at it. So I wanted to do one session a week where I'd do some kind of circuit with the guy that just burns your lungs. I've noticed that my general endurance is going up slowly. I do double sessions there, so sometimes I end up getting that feeling of throwing up from pushing so hard.

All I can suggest is do lengths for an hour or what your able to do as it will help you a lot.

I’m not quite sure when your Next medical will be but you *text deleted* get on top of the treadmill running now.
I’m not trying to sound harsh as your running outside for 1.5 mile is 14 minutes you have to do it in under 12.30 then another straight after in under 10.0o minutes.

The treadmill is even harder again as it has that incline and providing you pass the medical you can’t delay the PJFT so you *text deleted* try get on them at least twice a week to get used to by all means.

Just do what you thinks benefits you the most mate I had to give up football 6 weeks ago as it was getting to a point where I was worried about getting injured and was picking up slight nocks here and there and it was effecting my training so was hard to give it up *text deleted*

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think it has its pros and cons. But for this instance, I just think I did it wrong. Could have done a weight session once or twice a week, then did some kind of cardio 3-5x, it probably would have turned up alright. But I ended up just doing 3-5x a week of just 531 without much conditioning work.

I can't tell you what it is to a bleep. But I can do roughly 5+ pull ups, 20 push ups. And last time I checked sit ups were close to 50.
I've only started doing them again, greasing the groove. I can do 15 really easily, but once I get past 16 I start slowing down. So I'd just do a set of 15 and a set of 5 pull ups when I get back from work, then I'd do another "round" after my running an MMA stuff

Do everything to the beep so at least you know where you stand just keep training for what you will be tested on like the 1.5 mile run press/sit/pull-ups and overall running/cardio.

Not sure if you’ve seen the PRMC videos on YouTube but check them out if you haven’t and you can compare your stats with those and see where you stand.

Stay off the heavy as.s weights as that might be what’s effecting your running and overall endurance but concentrate on running more than anything at this point

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
All I can suggest is do lengths for an hour or what your able to do as it will help you a lot.

I’m not quite sure when your Next medical will be but you *text deleted* get on top of the treadmill running now.
I’m not trying to sound harsh as your running outside for 1.5 mile is 14 minutes you have to do it in under 12.30 then another straight after in under 10.0o minutes.

The treadmill is even harder again as it has that incline and providing you pass the medical you can’t delay the PJFT so you *text deleted* try get on them at least twice a week to get used to by all means.

Just do what you thinks benefits you the most mate I had to give up football 6 weeks ago as it was getting to a point where I was worried about getting injured and was picking up slight nocks here and there and it was effecting my training so was hard to give it up *text deleted*

So could just do 20-40 mins swimming back and forth, freestyle. Then spend 10 mins doing more technical stuff like underwater, and treading?

Nah, I know you're not being harsh mate. I completely agree with you. The main worry is my general running, it's not even close to where it needs to be. I want to be able to pass the PJFT by January. And the fact that I don't really have access to a treadmill on a regular basis. In theory, if i could do the PJFT outside in a pretty good time, then start specifying treadmill running 4-6 weeks out prior to the actual test, would that function as a good way to get conditioned to it?

Do everything to the beep so at least you know where you stand just keep training for what you will be tested on like the 1.5 mile run press/sit/pull-ups and overall running/cardio.

Not sure if you’ve seen the PRMC videos on YouTube but check them out if you haven’t and you can compare your stats with those and see where you stand.

Stay off the heavy as.s weights as that might be what’s effecting your running and overall endurance but concentrate on running more than anything at this point

Yeah I'll start doing that. I've got the beep audio downloaded, so ill start using it.

I've completely stopped powerlifting. Only things that could be seen as weightlifting in my training are people and kettlebells. And they're not that often either

Squatmonkey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It looks like its your speed which is the issue not your endurance if you can run 60 mins fine but do 14 mins for bft. Try doing 800m best effort runs with rests in between to build up your speed, along with the longer endurance work you are doing.

Also, nothing wrong with lifting weights. Squats and deadlifts are actually recommended, just don't let it get in the way of your cardiovascular workouts ie don't put all your energy into lifting

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
It looks like its your speed which is the issue not your endurance if you can run 60 mins fine but do 14 mins for bft. Try doing 800m best effort runs with rests in between to build up your speed, along with the longer endurance work you are doing.

Also, nothing wrong with lifting weights. Squats and deadlifts are actually recommended, just don't let it get in the way of your cardiovascular workouts ie don't put all your energy into lifting

I was planning to follow whats been recommended, 2 tempo runs and 1 steady for 4 weeks. Then change the second tempo run to interval training. So thats 200m sprints with 2 min rest in between each sprint. Do this 4 times, and after the 4th rest, sprint 400m followed by another 2 minutes and repeat. It doesn't say how many times to repeat it, but I'm assuming you wouldn't travel much further than 3 miles. So maybe 3-4 rounds?

I've squatted and deadlifted alot, had a 145kg squat and a 185kg deadlift. My legs are huge, I don't necessarily like the idea of running with the size and weight that they are. Nothing wrong with muscular legs, mine just have a lot of mass. So not opposed to putting it on a back burner for abit. Especially as my interest to lifting has been waning these past few months.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So could just do 20-40 mins swimming back and forth, freestyle. Then spend 10 mins doing more technical stuff like underwater, and treading?

Nah, I know you're not being harsh mate. I completely agree with you. The main worry is my general running, it's not even close to where it needs to be. I want to be able to pass the PJFT by January. And the fact that I don't really have access to a treadmill on a regular basis. In theory, if i could do the PJFT outside in a pretty good time, then start specifying treadmill running 4-6 weeks out prior to the actual test, would that function as a good way to get conditioned to it?

Yeah I'll start doing that. I've got the beep audio downloaded, so ill start using it.

I've completely stopped powerlifting. Only things that could be seen as weightlifting in my training are people and kettlebells. And they're not that often either

Do breastroke as that’s the swim you have to do when your at prmc add in treading water and swimming down to the bottom then back up a few times be handy also do this for around an hour would be good.
Don’t you have a gym/leisure center close by to you?
That’s the thing doing it outside is completely different than on a treadmill in a stuffy/hot gym on an incline you see so many ppl on this forum who can run good times outside doing the 1.5 runs but then fail the pjft as they can’t keep up with the pace so I would try get to your nearest gym do that 2/3 times a week then once that’s passed do all *text deleted* running outside then.
Just train on what you will be tested for dude that’s best way for it you can delay the prmc if you pass the pjft but can’t do it the other way around , sein as 14 minutes is your best outdoor 1.5 running time and thats 1 run I’d in my opinion start treadmill running aswell as strengthening your cardio to get used to running at faster paces as that’s not something you can shave 5 minutes off in a few weeks so better to get used to it now and gives you few months till January then.

Yea they be handy mate I do gym most days myself like bicep curls/latpulldowns/leg press all the body kind of exercises which help the muscles for the press/pull/sit-ups.

Try get on a treadmill tho as I don’t advise taking that for granted , also instead of doing just doing 1x 1.5 mile run do 2x 1.5 runs doesn’t matter if there terrible times it’s just to build up your endurance which will improve your capability of running quicker.

Vermilionleech

Reaction score
Do breastroke as that’s the swim you have to do when your at prmc add in treading water and swimming down to the bottom then back up a few times be handy also do this for around an hour would be good.
Don’t you have a gym/leisure center close by to you?
That’s the thing doing it outside is completely different than on a treadmill in a stuffy/hot gym on an incline you see so many ppl on this forum who can run good times outside doing the 1.5 runs but then fail the pjft as they can’t keep up with the pace so I would try get to your nearest gym do that 2/3 times a week then once that’s passed do all *text deleted* running outside then.
Just train on what you will be tested for dude that’s best way for it you can delay the prmc if you pass the pjft but can’t do it the other way around , sein as 14 minutes is your best outdoor 1.5 running time and thats 1 run I’d in my opinion start treadmill running aswell as strengthening your cardio to get used to running at faster paces as that’s not something you can shave 5 minutes off in a few weeks so better to get used to it now and gives you few months till January then.

Yea they be handy mate I do gym most days myself like bicep curls/latpulldowns/leg press all the body kind of exercises which help the muscles for the press/pull/sit-ups.

Try get on a treadmill tho as I don’t advise taking that for granted , also instead of doing just doing 1x 1.5 mile run do 2x 1.5 runs doesn’t matter if there terrible times it’s just to build up your endurance which will improve your capability of running quicker.

There is a few gyms around. It's a financial thing too, I'm still living like a student so money isnt something that's flowing out my ears is all.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
There is a few gyms around. It's a financial thing too, I'm still living like a student so money isnt something that's flowing out my ears is all.

Agh I see I’m not quite sure what to suggest then to be honest as leaving youself 4-6 weeks to start training on the treadmill doesn’t give you that much time I don’t think.

New Threads