My Training Plan

Lightspeed

Reaction score
Hi all,

So it's looking like I'll be made redundant come the end of this month... Which does at least mean I'll have plenty of time to train. Just wanted to see what people thought of the following training plan?..

Monday - 8 mile run, vPJFT, full body strength session, swim

Tuesday - swim

Wednesday - 6 mile run, vPJFT, full body strength session, swim

Thursday - swim

Friday - 3 mile run, vPJFT, full body strength session, swim

Saturday - swim

Sunday - rest

My "full body strength session" will consist of something like...

Sit ups
Pull ups
Press ups
Squat
Deadlift
Standing overhead press with a barbell
Bent over barbell rows
Farmers walks

3 sets of each exercise, for the weighted exercises I'm thinking lower reps per set (around 6) as to concentrate on increasing strength.

I will also most likely sell my car it atleast take it off the road for now so will be cycling to the gym/pool which is 6 miles away.

Appreciate any advice, cheers.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion it's way too much training and dependent on your current fitness level you'll either end up injured or burnt out.

Dependent on your answer for these questions will determine what your routine should look like.

What is your current weekly mileage for running and the longest run you've been doing?

Can you complete the VPJFT with perfect form and 3 rounds?

Have you been doing any full body workouts like the one described?

What is your current weight and do you monitor your calories?

Lightspeed

Reaction score
In my opinion it's way too much training and dependent on your current fitness level you'll either end up injured or burnt out.

Dependent on your answer for these questions will determine what your routine should look like.

What is your current weekly mileage for running and the longest run you've been doing?

Can you complete the VPJFT with perfect form and 3 rounds?

Have you been doing any full body workouts like the one described?

What is your current weight and do you monitor your calories?
Currently milage is only around 9 miles as I've only been doing 3x3 mile runs, however I did do 6 miles yesterday and I will from now be increasing my weekly milage.

Yes I can do the vPJFT with perfect form, usually do 4 rounds now.

Haven't done workouts like the ones described above since before lockdown started at the start of the year unfortunately, although I have done plenty of strength training in the past so I don't think it'd take my body long to adapt to 3 sessions a week.

Current weight is around 77kg at a measly 5 foot 8, at the minute I've pretty loose with keeping track of calories in all honesty, but generally I eat around 2.5k although I'm aware with swimming everyday etc I'm going to need a whole lot of calories, which I'm fine with.

Thanks for your advice.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Which does at least mean I'll have plenty of time to train.
Others better qualified than myself to comment but an observation:

Running. Aim to meet the requirements in ROP/RT. Running long distances at a steady pace will not be as effective as a structured mix which include hill sprints and maximum effort circuits. Beware of injuries associated with 'overtraining'. Everyone is different but rest and attention to core strength will pay dividends and help fend off niggles.
I've incorporated squats into my pre-run (and pre-cycle) routine for years along with stretches.

Don't forget bunny hops and all those other 'warm up' phys routines that shred legs in RT before the actual phys starts. :)

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If that's the case I wouldn't increase your mileage so quickly and vary your running sessions up, include hill sprints/tempo/bleep test/intervals.

Bodyweight circuits but 4 sets and high reps, start with whatever is doable for you and increase every few weeks once you're stronger, invest in a weighted vest and include 1 session wearing that.

Leg strength so use weights at the gym and could even just do a compound lift session once a week.

Swim on your rest days or keep it to 1 or 2 times a week until you're closer to entering RT.

So many lads make the mistake of doing trying to do to much way to soon and get injured.

Lightspeed

Reaction score
Others better qualified than myself to comment but an observation:

Running. Aim to meet the requirements in ROP/RT. Running long distances at a steady pace will not be as effective as a structured mix which include hill sprints and maximum effort circuits. Beware of injuries associated with 'overtraining'. Everyone is different but rest and attention to core strength will pay dividends and help fend off niggles.
I've incorporated squats into my pre-run (and pre-cycle) routine for years along with stretches.

Don't forget bunny hops and all those other 'warm up' phys routines that shred legs in RT before the actual phys starts. :)
If that's the case I wouldn't increase your mileage so quickly and vary your running sessions up, include hill sprints/tempo/bleep test/intervals.

Bodyweight circuits but 4 sets and high reps, start with whatever is doable for you and increase every few weeks once you're stronger, invest in a weighted vest and include 1 session wearing that.

Leg strength so use weights at the gym and could even just do a compound lift session once a week.

Swim on your rest days or keep it to 1 or 2 times a week until you're closer to entering RT.

So many lads make the mistake of doing trying to do to much way to soon and get injured.
Thanks for the responses, what do you think of the following...

Monday - 6/8 mile run, full body strength session

Tuesday - swim

Wednesday - 3 mile run, vPJFT

Thursday - bleep test, interval sprints

Friday - vPJFT, full body strength

Saturday - swim

Sunday - rest

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, what do you think of the following...

Monday - 6/8 mile run, full body strength session

Tuesday - swim

Wednesday - 3 mile run, vPJFT

Thursday - bleep test, interval sprints

Friday - vPJFT, full body strength

Saturday - swim

Sunday - rest
You might find your strength/muscular endurance very fatigued on the Wednesday for your vPJFT if you’re doing a long run and a full body strength session on Monday and a swim on the Tuesday.