NAMET

Gareth

Reaction score
hi everyone, i just wanted to ask something. I see when you go down to start RT, the first week you do NAMET tests, i'v been told you need a score of 5.5 to be a corporal, thats ok, if i don't do to well in these will i be discharged? will i not be able to become a Royal Marine Commando?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As long as you pass the Recruiting Test at the AFCO, then as far as academic exams go, you can join.

You cannot be advanced through the ranks if you fail to reach the standards required as laid down in "Basic Skills". In other words you will remain Marine 1st Class.

The NAMET system for advancement either already is or should have been phased out by the time you get there.

Gareth

Reaction score
Ninja_Stoker said:
As long as you pass the Recruiting Test at the AFCO, then as far as academic exams go, you can join.

You cannot be advanced through the ranks if you fail to reach the standards required as laid down in "Basic Skills". In other words you will remain Marine 1st Class.

The NAMET system for advancement either already is or should have been phased out by the time you get there.

Thanks ninja that's really put my mind at rest :) . I've never been a wizz at maths, which is what got me worried

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i heard about if you didnt get a grade c or higher in maths and english you will have to take a test at prmc is this true and if so are they hard...ive got alot of common sense i just was a bit of a lad in school and mucked about alot i wasent a bad kid i dont think *text deleted*..any help would really help thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Plummy,

The only academic test you do before you join is the Recruiting Test (RT) at the AFCO. You will have a basic skills assessment in Recruit Training if you actually join.

There are no academic requirements with regard GCSE's at Other Rank level. However, anyone would be well advised to achieve the best possible GCSE results before joining as you need 2 GCSE's grade C or better (English +1 other) to reach Warrant Officer.

For promotion to Officer within the Corps (Corps Commission) you need a minimum of 5 GCSE's grade C or better (Maths & English included).

To actually join as a RM Officer you currently need a minimum of 140 UCAS points at A2 Level standard & the same 5 GCSE's listed above. there is talk that the UCAS points requirement may be increased to around 180 points in the not to distant future, but this is purely rumour at this time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R The NAMET tests General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 0