Nasal polyps

JHS1989

Reaction score
Question on the physical you receive while going through the application process.. how thorough is it?
Hypothetically - if someone had nasal polyps would that be picked up on?

Haze97

Reaction score
I had my nasal polyps removed about 8yrs ago and it got flagged on my medical and was TMU till they got further info from my doctors so most likely will get picked on

JHS1989

Reaction score
Sorry I should’ve specified - if someone had them but hadn’t had them removed yet. Basically do they shine a light and look up your nose I guess is what I’m asking? Hypothetically of course.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
You are aware that they will look at your medical records aren’t you?

Previous treatments and procedures are even clearer and easier to see than what is or isn’t up your nose.

Extract from JSP950. Note that P8 means Medically unfit for service. Hope this helps and best of luck.

7DE348A9-3417-4B2C-9C74-91189646695D.jpeg

Last edited:

JHS1989

Reaction score
I haven’t been to the doctor about them therefor I haven’t been diagnosed so it isn’t on my medical records.
They don’t affect my running or my ability to breathe whilst under cardiovascular stress.
So the only way they’d be a problem is if the doctor literally looked up my nose and saw them which is why I’m asking if they do so.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I haven’t been to the doctor about them therefor I haven’t been diagnosed so it isn’t on my medical records.
They don’t affect my running or my ability to breathe whilst under cardiovascular stress.
So the only way they’d be a problem is if the doctor literally looked up my nose and saw them which is why I’m asking if they do so.
Does anyone think there may be a reason why those with active nasal polyps would be graded unfit for service?

Nasal Polyps said:
... result from chronic inflammation and are associated with asthma, recurring infection, allergies, drug sensitivity or certain immune disorders

JHS1989

Reaction score
I have a history of nasal polyps in my family, my mother who was a nurse in the ear nose and throat clinic has had a look and they’re clear to see in my nasal passage. That being said they don’t affect my athletic performance. Hence why I haven’t been to a doctor to see about getting them removed. It would kill me to be disqualified for something when I know I can exceed the standards required to join the RM.

So my question is only if they might be visually noticed by a doctor during an examination. I’m aware of the implications that come with nasal polyps as listed above but I don’t have any of those symptoms.

Chelonian

Reaction score
So my question is only if they might be visually noticed by a doctor during an examination.
For what it's worth:
I'm not a medical professional or a careers adviser but if it were me I'd get myself formally assessed and take that as my starting point. Someone is going to take a squint up your hooter eventually. Best get the matter resolved now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Nasal sprays Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site 2