National Guard trio drummed out for sock puppet oath

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Interestingly, Royal Navy Ratings (Royal Marines aside) did not swear an oath of allegiance until 2006 and it only applied to those joining after this date.

Those joining the RN, since it was officially designated Royal in 1660 up until 2006, never swore an oath of allegiance.

Question is; Does it make any difference?

Chelonian

Reaction score
Those joining the RN, since it was officially designated Royal in 1660 up until 2006, never swore an oath of allegiance.

Am I correct in thinking that Royal Navy ratings were instead daily read aloud an seventeenth century naval version of the Riot Act? :)

Admittedly, I may have read too many Patrick O'Brien novels.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking that Royal Navy ratings were instead daily read aloud an seventeenth century naval version of the Riot Act? :)

Admittedly, I may have read too many Patrick O'Brien novels.
We did indeed come under the Articles of War Naval Discipline Act 1957), which were displayed in every ship of the fleet up until 2006. They genuinely included the death penalty for many offences, as visible in the preceding link, long after it was otherwise abolished in the UK (Up until 2001 in categories two to five of the original Act). The gallows are still in South Yard HMNB Devonport.

The death penalty could be ordered by court martial for treasonable offences such as arson in Her Majesty's Naval Base. I was therefore careful not to flick a cigarette butt into a gash skip whilst navigating back to my ship using the infamous kebab compass after a night out, as a result of this, even though it seemed a little bit of a harsh penalty ;)

Chelonian

Reaction score
The death penalty could be ordered by court martial for treasonable offences such as arson in Her Majesty's Naval Base.

A character in one of O'Brian's novels about the eighteenth century Royal Navy fell foul of Section 37: Disgraceful conduct when he engaged in sexual relations with embarked livestock, namely a goat.
I recall that both man and goat were hanged for the offence. -jimlad-

New Threads