Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

National Service

Discussion in 'Current & Military Affairs Discussion Forum.' started by 03092014, Aug 7, 2016.

1. C

C Guest

Germany seem to be in a funny mood telling people to start stocking up emergency supplies, do they know something we don't? Third time lucky? I thought they'd just resorted to buying Europe up this timeā€¦

• Like Like x 1
  2. Guest User

Guest User Guest

I think it would be alright.

I mean, our " mandatory military service " was never completely removed.

Only " wintered " :))

However, if you would want to serve for more than 6 months, you would be considered a volunteer, so kind of pointless. But alright for the youth who is not able to deal with appointments and waking up early ))

Cheers.

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I like the sound of that. I shall pinch the word and use it myself to describe anything I want to postpone indefinitely.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  4. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

That's what I'll tell my college teachers when they ask for my homework "It's been wintered" ;) haha

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

As @Guest User has indicated that it is a phrase of German origin you might consider saying "It's been vintered" for maximum effect.
    I'm guessing that a close British equivalent to 'wintered' might be 'mothballed'. Thinking about it, 'mothballed' sounds completely nuts in the 21st century.

6. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

Hmm maybe I'll just stick with the good old fashioned "The dog ate it" or "I have done it.... but I left it on the kitchen counter." or my personal favourite "I haven't done it, I'll hand it next week." then proceed to never ever mention it again and hope they forget about it :)

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Reminds me of my own "I'll call you after Friday..." lie.
    But never actually being specific about which Friday.