Navy to get new radar

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score
Royal Navy ships are to be equipped with a new powerful UK-designed and manufactured radar, under a £100M contract with BAE Systems Insyte, it was announced today, Monday 4 August 2008.

More...

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It's going to be called Gaydar and its the new application screening process.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Bollocks. Anything that gets BAE work makes me want to cry.

100m? It'll end up costing 500m.

Track a snooker ball at 20km? Probably end up struggling to track a Zeppelin at a snooker table length away.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, what they scrapping to be able to afford this? two meals a day from the navy?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
doesn't a radar system like this make stealth tech pointless (except for wars against 3rd world *rse of the world countries)? if so why bother spending so much on the JSF?

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about a radar like this being able to defeat stealth, but you've just answered your own question Seedy...

When are we ever going to be stupid enough to take on anyone but a third world country? We could probably manage at a pinch to take on some second rate enemy, but if we were ever to go up against the premier league we'd get our arses handed to us, with the current state of our armed forces and their equipment.

Plus, I think stealth tech works well on radar guided missiles and SAMs - makes it harder for them to get a radar lock.

While I don't agree with your logic, I agree with the end result!

Scrap the JSF jumpjet and either buy the American carrier version, or some F18s, and use the money saved to make the new carriers proper jobbies.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
my point is JSF is pointless over eurofighter with this tech, so why go with both? i know JSF has VTOL but there are cheaper alternatives as you mentioned, alternatives that we would have more access to as an independent nation rather than US's bitch (Dependant on them for tech support for JSF, satellites etc). esp as i'd imagine munitions would have this new radar tech as well.
though i disagree about getting our arses handed to us, depends on which preimier league nations we're talking about. most NATO/WARSAW countries would be a walk over, only china, russia and US would be a suicide.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Whichever way we cut it, we'll end up as someone's bitch. The Eurofighter means that we have to take it from the French and Germans - and the Americans too, because Europe can't make millitary jets anymore without stuffing them full of stuff only the Americans can make. I'd rather just bend over for Uncle Sam; rather than Fritz, Pierre and then Uncle Sam.

There's a whole load of bollocks about 'operational sovereignty,' which is an excuse made by the politicos in charge of defence expenditure to justify why they buy overpriced crap from BAE at hugely inflated prices. Whenever someone in the forces starts thinking sensibly and wants to buy off the shelf American kit, BAE threatens to close factories in the constituencies of the MPs in charge of defence procurement, meaning they'd lose votes/their job. So the MPs decide to buy whatever overpriced crap BAE is selling. This corruption costs lives; it, and other things, are the reasons we don't have enough Vikings and Warriors, new, better body armour, better rifles, more helicopers etc...

The normal version of the JSF isn't as good a dogfighter as the Eurofighter, but it's better at everything else. It is the sort of plane that a small nation like Britain needs, especially with our current commitments - a decent enough fighter, and great at close air support. The Eurofighter was ordered before the end of the Cold War... and the MOD was slightly slow to respond to the Berlin Wall coming down. The American F18 isn't as good as the JSF, but it'd still be the most useful plane we've had since the Spitfire. Personally, I'd go for the F18, simply because its cheaper. With all the money we'd save, the new carriers could be proper jobs, flying normal jets, and we could dump the entire VTOL concept.

Besides, buying American kit we wouldn't be as dependent on the Americans as you're led to believe. The Iranians are still flying American F15's 30 years after official aid was cut off, and 20 years after covert aid was cut off. If a bunch of mad Mullahs can manage that, surely we'd manage for a time?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Arms industry has gone to *text deleted**text deleted* in the UK in the last 30 years or so, we're reliant on everybody for anything we use.

But yes, stealth aircraft are pointless.. Im going to have to search for the article but... 20 year old russian radars (not the new ones..) are able to spot stealth aircraft quite easily. Iran funny enough has been buying them up haha, tis how that aircraft was shot down in yugoslavia or wherever.

JSF is a mixed bag of success, potential to be brilliant.. but at the same time having problems and costing a ton.

Harrir v2 with supersonic cababilities instead please?!