Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Need a little guidance

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by spectre645, Jan 11, 2019.

1. spectre645

spectre645 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    As per the title, i'm a little lost on the whole application process as an overseas applicant. I should mention that i am a UK passport holder and thus a british citizen. however i have not lived in the UK for more than 5 years. i currently live overseas.

So i registered showing an interest in joining the RMC via the navy website. eventually i got an email to make an account with the navy.mod website where i did an online application that took me about 15 - 30 mins to fill out. i completed and submitted it. this was back near the end of February. according to the website, as of now, i am at the "suitability assessment" stage of the process and have not heard back or received any correspondence.

This long time surprised me so i contacted the navy overseas desk for some guidance and clarification. The lady on the other end of the phone told me that i should have received an e-mail for another set of paperwork to fill out:

Correspondance request- a word doc listing things i need to provide such as passport photos, passport photocopies, references etc.

MOD form 493- doesn't pertain to me, i've never had trouble with the law.

Overseas guide- explanations about the dos and don't of the navy, breakdown of jobs, etiquette etc.

Tattoo proforma- doesn't apply to me, i have no tats

The strangest thing about it all to me is that they specifically request that i send these photocopied documents via land mail from overseas. Is this some sort of artificial means to reduce the amount overseas applicants? are overseas applications in a surplus at the moment? if so, then should i bother trying to apply from abroad and instead go visit an AFCO when i move to the UK in the next two months?

Any response is welcome,
    Regards

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If you hold a British passport & are moving to UK in a couple of months, you'll still need a residency waiver to gain security clearance. It'll be easier to complete an application whilst living in UK and far less costly, but either way, applicants must be in UK to complete selection anyway.

That said, I'm at a loss as to why it has taken 11 months to move an application to this stage, which is ridiculous. I would suggest to any applicant genuinely wishing to join that the onus is on them to progress and complete their application, whether in UK of overseas.

All paperwork or online forms, when applying from UK or overseas, must be completed - this includes the tattoo proforma and Rehabilitation of Offenders Act - even if you don't have tattoos or convictions.

Best of luck.

3. Boggy

Boggy Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Our son went through the process about a year ago and is now in RT. It is a bit of extra hassle when you don't fit exactly into the boxes so loved by bureaucrats the world over. Even filling in the application form online was not simple, it kept refusing his address, didn't like his absence of a NI number, blah, blah ... At one point he unintentionally had 2 separate applications going at the same time, there's probably a gym somewhere still waiting for him to turn up for his PJFT.

Look at it as part of selection for RT, you need to jump through all the hoops, fill in every form , get every document they ask for and send it the way they want it sent. At the same time, don't hesitate to phone them for advice,or if you think things are going slow, several times our lad was told 'we're waiting for this, that or the other in the e mail we sent you'- which he never received. The humans at the end of the line were always helpful.
    I suspect a lot of this will be familiar to UK resident applicants as well.

At times it feels like you're swimming in treacle, but keep at it, you will get assigned an AFCO if you meet requirements and from then on you have a personal contact and things start moving.
    Good Luck, one day you will be up to your neck in freezing Devon mud thinking' what the hell have I let myself in for?' and these frustrations will be but a happy distant memory

4. spectre645

spectre645 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    hey guys, really sorry about a typo. it was NOVEMBER. not February of last year.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. spectre645

spectre645 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    thanks for the clarification, i'll just collect the relevant document and post them when i get to the UK.

• Like Like x 1