Need a Routine.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys. Well my training has come to a standstill for the last few days, mainly because i've got myself a job and was trying to get settled in.

I need help getting a schedule sorted, for the last few weeks i've just been doing what i want, one day i might go out for a run and another i might not, in fairness i havn't been doing much since i moved to my fathers ( those who read my first post will know about this ). Anyways after about 1.5 weeks of my dad helping me with curcuit training to get me ready to begin running ( i was so unfit ) It's now been about a month since i moved to my dads and for the last week and a half i started running a distance of 1 mile, i'm still really struggling just to run the 1 mile without needing to stop, though i have done it. THe first half of the mile is all uphill and the last half a mile is downhill, my dad said if i can do the first half a mile ( uphill ) then back ( downhill ) then back uphill again in 9:40-10:00 i will pass the pjft with ease, i'm not sure if it's a good idea to start out running on hills... i am so tired when i reach the first 0.5 mark, although it's easier going back down it's still very hard. So i just wanted some advice on this particular route.

Since i moved to my dads i've lost weight and im currently weighing in at 15.7-8st prior to my 16.2-5st(it varied) before i moved and began my training. i can manage about 45 situps and 10 pressups if i push, i don't know about pullups because i havn't got anywhere to try them.

So basically i'm reaching out to you guys for a schedule or routine that i can crack on with and stop giving myself excuses.

Those who read and helped me when i first posted on this forum will understand this post alot more. Thanks for any help. :roll:

paddlequack

Reaction score
Monday: 1.5 Miler (Best Effort) 10 Pressups x3 (60 second rest in between), 45 sit ups x3 (1minute interval between each set)

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: 1.5 Miler (Best Effort) 10 Pressups x3 (* *) 45 sit ups x3 (1minute interval between each set)

Thursday: Rest

Friday: 1.5 Miler (Take it slow and sprint for 10 seconds every 2 minutes)
Same upper body work.

Weekend rest:

This should start you off for a couple of weeks to a month.
You should feel your cardio improving all the time.
Also make sure you time your runs as it's a good incentive to beat your times each time you do it, and also if you feel up to it add a slow long jog like a 3 miler at a easy pace to get you used to long distances.

southerncomfort

Reaction score
Mate I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, weight and fitness wise. There are a few good circuits that I have used to get a good base fitness and mix up my runs with some sprints which I found helped a lot.
A few weeks ago I tried a hill sprints circuit and it was the worst thing I ever did cause not only was it too much too soon but it made me feel really dejected afterwards. Now I stick to my normal running routes and do sprints on football pitches. I have so far lost 1.4stone in 6 weeks and taken my 1.5m time from 17 mins to 14 mins. Im still a long way off but i am pushing myself every session even if its only 1 more situp or 1 more press up or only 5 seconds faster as long as i beat the time before im happy. Now I cannot complete the entire runs(which are either through the woods with some good hiils or on the road which has some pretty hard inclines) without slowing to a walk at some points and I struggle with the circuits still especially the pull ups but I COMPLETE every session as detailed and try to improve the time I do it in the next time. I just keep plugging away at it and just try to improve on the next session even if its only by a few seconds or one extra press up as long as it improves it keeps me motivated and thats the key. This is my schedule below, hope it helps.

*text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**5AM *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** 7PM *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*
MON - Sprint circuit *text deleted* ----------------Krav Maga
TUE - 1.5M + Circuit 1* -------------- Sprints circuit*text deleted* or RMR(hopefully)
WED - Light swim ---------------------------------------
THU - 6M Run ------------------------- Rugby or GYM session
FRI - ----------------------------------------------------
SAT - 3M Run + Rugby match or GYM session
SUN - SWIM + Rifleman Circuit*text deleted**

Sprints circuit*text deleted*
Hill Sprints/ Grid Sprints (not on hills yet)
Perform a through warm-up covering in particular the legs. Build up to the sprinting session by some and three-quarter pace running over the course. Find a section of slope at an angle of approximately 30 degrees
about 20-60max in length. The following should be performed:
A: Sprint up hill and jog back. Repeat five times with no rest. On completion take two minutes rest.
B:Sprint up and down hill. Take thirty seconds rest. Repeat five times then take two minutes rest.

C:Sprint up hill perform ten repetitions of an exercise and jog back down. Repeat performing performing
eight repetitions of the same exercise, then six, four and finally two. Do not rest during these sprints.
On completion take two minutes rest. Exercises to be chosen: Press-ups, Sit-ups or Bur-pees.

D: Repeat C using a different exercise.

E: Repeat A

On completion perform a full warm down, making sure the legs are fully stretched.

Progress through each level as fitness improves. If you struggle, reduce to three repetitions of each sprint
and then progress to four. For the first few times skip section C till you are ready to perform.

Circuit1*
Use two lines on a football/rugby pitch or two markers such as lamp-posts.
Start on the first line. Sprint out to the second line and perform the first exercise then sprint back
to the start line for the next exercise.
Exercises:

Press-ups
Sit-ups
Squat thrusts
Wide arm Press-ups
Crunchies
Bur-pees
Close arm Press-ups
V-sits
Squats.

Perform 10x repetitions of each exercise.

When all nine exercises have been performed, walk round slowly for one minute.

As you get fitter, increase the number of repetitions (10x, 12x 15x 20x exercise).

Rifleman circuit*text deleted**
Level 3

1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
3 pullups
6 pushups
9 situps
6 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips

max pullups 9
max Pushups 18
max situps 27
max dips 18

Level 4

1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
3 pullups
6 pushups
9 situps
6 dips
4 pullups
8 pushups
12 situps
8 dips
3 pullups
6 pushups
9 situps
6 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips

max pullups 16
max Pushups 32
max situps 48
max dips 18
Level 5

1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
3 pullups
6 pushups
9 situps
6 dips
4 pullups
8 pushups
12 situps
8 dips
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 situps
10 dips
4 pullups
8 pushups
12 situps
8 dips
3 pullups
6 pushups
9 situps
6 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips

ax pullups 25
max Pushups 50
max situps 75
max dips 50

Level 6

1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
3 pullups
6 pushups
9 situps
6 dips
4 pullups
8 pushups
12 situps
8 dips
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 situps
10 dips
6 pullups
12 pushups
18 situps
12 dips
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 situps
10 dips
4 pullups
8 pushups
12 situps
8 dips
3 pullups
6 pushups
9 situps
6 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips

max pullups 36
max Pushups 72
max situps 108
max dips 72

Level 7

1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
3 pullups
6 pushups
9 situps
6 dips
4 pullups
8 pushups
12 situps
8 dips
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 situps
10 dips
6 pullups
12 pushups
18 situps
12 dips
7 pullups
14 pushups
21 situps
14 dips
6 pullups
12 pushups
18 situps
12 dips
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 situps
10 dips
6 pullups
12 pushups
18 situps
12 dips
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 situps
10 dips
4 pullups
8 pushups
12 situps
8 dips
3 pullups
6 pushups
9 situps
6 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips

max pullups 49
max Pushups 98
max situps 147
max dips 98

Level 8

1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
3 pullups
6 pushups
9 situps
6 dips
4 pullups
8 pushups
12 situps
8 dips
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 situps
10 dips
6 pullups
12 pushups
18 situps
12 dips
7 pullups
14 pushups
21 situps
14 dips
8 pullups
16 pushups
24 situps
16 dips
7 pullups
14 pushups
21 situps
14 dips
6 pullups
12 pushups
18 situps
12 dips
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 situps
10 dips
4 pullups
8 pushups
12 situps
8 dips
3 pullups
6 pushups
9 situps
6 dips
2 pullups
4 pushups
6 situps
4 dips
1 pullup
2 pressups
3 situps
2 dips

max pullups 64
max Pushups 128
max situps 192
max dips 128

Good luck with it...

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Southern C - F*!king hell mate ... well done for keeping the rifle man circuit going i got lost half down the page :*text deleted*:

southerncomfort

Reaction score
I do the rifleman at home and have the Mrs read it out :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*: .

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
southerncomfort said:
I do the rifleman at home and have the Mrs read it out :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*: .
*text deleted*.... now thats initiative mate :*text deleted*: like your style :*text deleted*: !

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, Especially SC.

Would it be worth me running on a treadmill for a month or so to get a good base fitness level? Where i am, your either going uphill or downhill and i don't think either of them are suitable for me at the moment because i'm so unfit. Or, like my dad suggested, just keep running the half a mile uphill and half a mile downhill untill i can do it comfortably at a good pace?

southerncomfort

Reaction score
I do both road running and treadmill.
When I'm running on the road I find it harder work but when I'm on the treadmill its a little easier. The good thing with the treadmill is you can set the distance and pace and it tells you when every 25% of the distance has been done so I work on beating these checkpoints each time which in turn improves my overall time.

For base fitness I started and still do a session (15 - 30 on a high level) on the rowing machine as a warmup, this helped a lot as its my muscles now run out before my lungs. Then I do the 1.5m on the treadmill. My time was slashed by 3 minutes within a few weeks doing this. But everyone is different so do what you feel is right with you.

I would also recommend joining a sports club for extra cardio work, which as well as building team work skills will help with circuits and you may even find a training partner to work with.
Rugby / Football / Boxing / KickBoxing....etc any sports that have good levels of fitness and most of these you can join just for the training so dont dismiss them cause your not a fan of the sport just see it as an extra phys session.

Where in Kent are you from?

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, havn't been able to get on much.

I'm in west malling.