Need advice before i do medical.

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Zak123, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Zak123

Zak123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Lads I'm really want to start rmr training next year already starting training in the gym to get fit. But after reading some post I'm not quite sure. To give some back story, when i was a kid i had a serious bacterial infection of some sort, had been asthmatic but havent had any issues in a decade , most recently i have been taking medication for acne and my deppression having one or two cases of self harm, but my condotion has got better and i feel better than ever being discharged and not needing medication anymore. However i heard these cases result in being tmu'd and to be honest i dont want that to happen. I heard that if you wanted to you could lie in the medical questionaire but the afco look into your medical history and lying can get you barred. I feel as though it is now or never because i really want to start training next year. Any advice would be appreatiated.

sorry for the essay.

2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

TMU is only temporary. It's not a definite no.
    No one can advocate lying on the medical, because you will get found out.

TMU isn't the end of the world, it's just another hoop to jump through, we all have to do it, and you won't know until you get it done.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zak123

Zak123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    True. Just really want to start rt next year and have read post where people had to wait months and as impatient as it sounds what everything to be quick done and dusted. But it is always better to be honest. I will never know untill i do it.

The condotions that i stated do you think it would be even possiable to start rt next year?

Cheers for the reply

4. Teasly

Teasly New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    In my experience with the medical and what I've read about many other people's experiences, you get TMU'd if you've had something as small as a cough in the last decade. But as said above, it's certainly not the end of the world and you should at least give it a shot.

I'd get the medical booked in asap though as the wait can be frustratingly long. I'm looking into the RMR too, so you'll have plenty of time to get everything sorted and in place for the PRMC(R) next year. Just continue training hard whilst you go through the medical procedure, so you're ready for the holding troop and PRMC once they come around.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Integrity is certainly expected & indeed demanded.

When you fill out your medical questionnaire, you must also sign a consent form which permits access to your medical records.

Any person found to be deliberately withholding information in order to gain employment can be prosecuted for fraud.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zak123

Zak123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Right. Lying is never a good idea and if i cant keep my integerity i shouldnt join rm. But i am *text deleted* tell the truth about my medical history. Thanks lads needed that advice before i did something stupid. Ill keep you updated on my proccess.

Ps sorry for the late reply.

7. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    It may be hard to take being made PMU (speaking from experience), but the rules are there for a reason, and despite how it may seem they're not just trying to rob you of a career or dream.

Mental health issues in the past can lead to more issues in the future, such as increasing risk of developing other issues especially when in a high stress/trauma environment such as the military, hence the force's seemingly hard-line approach to it, they have a duty of care to you and other servicemen, and exposing someone with previous mental health issues to such situations could have a serious effect on the person and the people around him/her.

Although I may not agree with or support their medical standards, I'm in no way qualified to judge them, they are drawn up by medical experts and are there for a good reason, in the event you are made unfit (not saying you will as I don't know your record and I'm not the medical officer), don't take it as a personal thing - it is to protect you and those around you.

Also, if you did lie about it, make it through to actually joining the forces and are found to have lied, you can be discharged or prosecuted as Ninja said, its not worth that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zak123

Zak123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    JWJ yeah your right aswell on mental health, even though i feel greater than before, i understand that the rules are there for a reasons to keep me and others safe especially around guns. Of course am not looking to get prosecuted so lieing is not an option anymore. But i do want to start training next year but if i cant rules are rules. I was wondering for something like depresion if you were tmud how long would the wait be.?

9. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I believe with things like depression theyre looking at how long the 'episode' lasted, and if it was a lone episode. I'm not sure how self harm plays into it, I'm sure the JPA is online if you dig deep enough to find out the medical stance on depression

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zak123

Zak123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yeah ill look into it. However still have a crack at it. As suggested ill call my afco to do my interview and medical this year.

11. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

I think that it can be harder to speculate and theorise about medical issues. When you've had your medical examination done and your clinical records scrutinised you will at least know exactly where you stand.

If you consider the outcome of your medical examination to be unsatisfactory you can then perhaps plan a structured appeal.

Personally I would crack on with training in preparation while being mindful of managing my own expecations. Do let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  12. posh_punter

posh_punter Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Not sure if this will help you, but I had quite a long medical delay for something that I knew wasn't a fail, but they needed to 'check with a my GP ' . I had my medical a second time, as it lapsed during my application and this time I rang up my GP, explained nicely what my issue was and got them to write a letter confirming the details of my medical issue. Then I took this to the second medical so they didn't need to contact my GP and leave me hanging again. Saved me another 3 month delay.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chelonian

In general terms it makes sense to have a chat with one's GP to brief him or her about one's career aspirations.

Clearly the GP is legally and morally obliged to be truthful and clinically accurate but if he or she has some prior basic knowledge about medical standards for entry it might—in some circumstances—avoid unhelpful unintentionally ambiguous comments causing problems.

14. Zak123

Zak123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    do you think if i was to do my interview and medical in january(already did the rt test) would that leave them another time to give me a verdict just before prmc (r) in october 2017

15. Chelonian

I don't understand your question mate and if I did, I'm not qualified to answer it. One for @Ninja_Stoker perhaps.

16. Zak123

Zak123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    no problem

17. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    The time it takes for them to decide if you're PMU depends on factors like how many other applicants are they reviewing, if they have all the information to give a verdict, if the GP surgery is cooperating fully, and if they require any further opinions.

Generally, I can't imagine why they'd take that long to decide. I think for me it took 3-4 weeks after being made TMU to being told I was PMU. I was made TMU and then PMU in March/May, appealed in August and made P2 in mid August as a example of the timeline, although the time of my appeal being reviewed was extraordinarily fast.

• Like Like x 1
  18. its_meg

its_meg Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I applied in January and have gone through being PMU, TMU then fit to proceed to medical then TMU again...for me it has been a long process and still going now but I expected that so applied early for that very reason! Some people get through it very quickly though. Don't think any of us can give you an accurate timescale as we aren't capita and dealing with your medical. I would just go for it if I were you and if you have to wait it will be worth it in the end :)

19. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I applied last December. Only got my PMU overturned in October. I knew I'd have a long medical and as such prepared for it by applying a year early

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. Zak123

Zak123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    yeah i think i am *text deleted* do it this year instead of next, just in cas it is a long wait.