Need advice if possible..

Aspiring87

Reaction score
Hello guys, new to the site an first post so apologies if its in the incorrect thread.

Right, firstly i need your advice, im 20 years old 6ft and 175 pounds, not a twig and not over weight, but my fitness just isnt there....im struggling in all honesty. I want to join the RM but just cant seem to get into the rythm of a regular work out. in all honesty my stats so far are appaling and no where near any standard to consider the RM. Just wondering if there were any tips from you lads from when you first started taking the situation seriously and how you got on...might have to add, before 1 week ago i was smoking 20 a day and drinking a pint almost everday for the last 12 months....

Any advice would be helpful guys

Aspiring87

Reaction score
Just want to add, that i know its a case of getting my head down, cutting all the bad stuff out cracking on with it, but just wanted opinions from some lads to see if they had any doubts at the start or problems they had to get through?

cheers.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum mate! Well, I think the first step to improving your fitness is cut out the alchahol and the smoking. As you've just stopped smoking and drinking over a long period it's no wonder your body isn't ready for all this excersize! So from tomorow start fresh, Don't push yourself too much in the beginning and take the excersize easy and you'll amaze yourself how fast your fitness will be going up. But a key role in all this excersize is diet and resting. http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/training-tool.html Good luck with getting fitter and all the best.- Adam

Aspiring87

Reaction score
Thank you mate, yeah i need to crack on with, im sure just like everyone theyve done there research on the RM, and read every thread on this website back to front, guess its more a shock to the system of how far behind i am to some of the lads! think my insides have turned to mush as from the outside i look athletic..

Out of interest when you first started timing 1.5miles were you hitting sub 10 firstly or gradually got there?

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Out of interest when you first started timing 1.5miles were you hitting sub 10 firstly or gradually got there?
I gradually got there,
first time was about 11:30 and I felt like I wanted to throw up,
haven't done it for a while because I do it like they do at PRMC,
1.5 mile in under 12:30,
then 1.5 mile in under 10:30.

But basically,
you will most likely be very crap when you first start out,
I know I was,
just give yourself a good amount of time,
a year maybe,
and do a lot of running and other exercises,
don't push it too hard as you might end up with an injury,
and don't feel too pressured,
a pint every so often won't do you any harm.

Joe

Aspiring87

Reaction score
Cheers Joe,

Ive been running outside 1.5 miles and getting just above 10 for it, but recently been running on the treadmill and recording times like 13-14 mins!!
ive read other threads that state you have to keep the speed to about 15-16 but i think the emergency stop button would be coming to play if i tried that!

Thanks for the advice, cigs have gone, alcohol will fade out, and hopefully the times will decrease. Good luck to everyone else..

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Although i've not yet joined them the British Military Fitness group are always being reccommended on here, i know a couple of active members here have joined and i'm about to- it's run by former servicemen (usually PTIs) who apparently rather enjoy making you work hard. see below
http://www.britmilfit.com/

Aspiring87

Reaction score
Cheers mate, looks good, might join, that should quicken the process up..my local football team is coached for pre season by a serving Rm at the moment as well, although he's 55 he out paces everyone in the squad....last thursday i was being sick through my nose after a beach session! Not good! :-/

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I have joined and its brilliant, really very good. They are friendly but beast you at the same time!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My first timed was 9 mins, i spent 3 weeks running prior to that as well.
I did running during my teens but stopped once hitting uni (uni killed my will to do anything, other than drink.).

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
My First timed was 12.42. In a week I was down to 10.42 and I had my PJFT on Tuesday and got 9.28