Need Help ! Advice On Minimum Weight For the RM

PopStop

Reaction score
Hello, I have just put my application in for the royal marines and it normally takes around 9 months to complete + the delay from the corona virus, medical, interview and prmc etc. I read that the minimum weight is 60 kg and I am 60 kg , i am also 5'4 but i read somewhere else that the minimum is 65 kg. I am currently doing a 9 month training plan to prep for the prmc, i am on phase one and I haven't eaten right because i have never done this type of training, i need help on how to gain weight the healthy way to and to still train. Its the only thing holding me back from going forward. And its scary to think my weight could ruin this for me. Just looking for good advice and answers, thank you :)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hello, I have just put my application in for the royal marines and it normally takes around 9 months to complete + the delay from the corona virus, medical, interview and prmc etc. I read that the minimum weight is 60 kg and I am 60 kg , i am also 5'4 but i read somewhere else that the minimum is 65 kg. I am currently doing a 9 month training plan to prep for the prmc, i am on phase one and I haven't eaten right because i have never done this type of training, i need help on how to gain weight the healthy way to and to still train. Its the only thing holding me back from going forward. And its scary to think my weight could ruin this for me. Just looking for good advice and answers, thank you :)
Minimum weight is currently 65 kgs. How old are you now?

PopStop

Reaction score
I am 16 and 7 months old. I am fit enough its why i applied but i saw the lowest weight they would take is 60kg .

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I am 16 and 7 months old. I am fit enough its why i applied but i saw the lowest weight they would take is 60kg .
The minimum weight changed from 60 to 65kgs in April 2011: https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/changes-to-minimum-weight-from-april-2011.38568/

Odds are, you are still growing and you will gain muscle mass naturally as you step-up your fitness.

I seem to remember there was a further change to this when recruiting was opened-up to females, I'll do a bit of digging.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just had a look - the minimum weight it 65 kgs or minimum bmi of 23, which, at 5' 4" is around 62 kgs.

Latest guidance notes here.

Best bet is crack on with your physical preps - the odds are you'll achieve the minimum weight as your calorific intake increases in-line with your increased physical activity.

PopStop

Reaction score
Thanks a lot friend :) I hope to as well my training plan consists of 100 push ups a day as well as this for the first 3 months, I do not know what i should be eating , i just want to knuckle down to be honest now i feel stupid applying but im on a 9 month training plan and it takes awhile to put the ap through as well as everything else also with the pandemic delay but thanks for the advice. Sorry to ask but how many calories should i be eating a day and what ? sorry i have had a look online but talking to you for me is better :)

Attachments

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
If you have submitted an application ?? as your profile indicates just so you are aware it will be rejected due to your weight and you will be asked to reapply when you are 65kg.

PopStop

Reaction score
Yeah it probably will , but someone said above that I could pass if I became 62kg. I don’t know l, thank you for your input any tips on how to get to 65kg ? I have a fast metabolism and would have to eat a lot more than it can handle but I don’t know what to eat :( . Thank you :)

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
That is correct but you are currently not even that, so as mentioned it should / will be rejected. It is likely that the only thing that will help in your case is time, as you will continue to grow. just eating loads as not a real option as fitness decreases and due to your likely body type (Ectomorph - google it.!!) you are not prone to putting weight on in your early years - I am the same height as you and had the same issues and was rejected as a 16 y/o by both the Army and Marines so had to wait until I gained the weight.

There are of course loads of weight gain programmes to gain weight by eating a heavy protein-based diet and lifting weights, just search the internet, or go to a gym with good trainers once restrictions lifted, speak to them about your goals and see if they feel they can help.

oneday

Reaction score
I know the struggle. But should easily gain to 65kg if you train hard and eat lots and right. I have fast metabolism too and built slim. I was TMU at medical for underweight at 64kg so 1kg off. AFCO told me to ring up once I’ve put the weight on which was 2 months later in my case. I Eat heavily 5-6 meals daily and trained hard and weighed in at 70kg.

PopStop

Reaction score
Wow , thanks for all the replies , I got a call from careers office this morning, talked to him for a good half an hour and he brought up that I said I was worried about my weight. He basically told me I can still do the interviews and stuff just they will put me on hold untill I reach the limit or reach the BMI . He said I’m a little bit under. He told me to talk to you all aswell to get tips on nutrition and a training plan , if you could change anything from my current 3 month plan to make it better for me to put on weight please give me suggestions , really appreciate this :)

Attachments

Aerial

Reaction score
Wow , thanks for all the replies , I got a call from careers office this morning, talked to him for a good half an hour and he brought up that I said I was worried about my weight. He basically told me I can still do the interviews and stuff just they will put me on hold untill I reach the limit or reach the BMI . He said I’m a little bit under. He told me to talk to you all aswell to get tips on nutrition and a training plan , if you could change anything from my current 3 month plan to make it better for me to put on weight please give me suggestions , really appreciate this :)
I'm not a PT or anything, and there'll be people here better placed to advise than me but I can give you my opinion on your training plan.

Unless you're a really terrible swimmer, I think two swimming sessions a week is a bit too much particularly if you're looking to bulk up a bit. I'd just do one 45 minute swim session a week on a Friday to give the joints a rest, and do an additional circuit focused on strength on the Tuesday. The 5x5 programme recommended above might be a good place to start for this session.

Good luck - time, patience and training will get you to where you want to be

PopStop

Reaction score
My circuit training consists of
4 pull ups
10 sit ups
8 press ups
8 burpees

6 pull ups
15 sit ups
12 press ups
15 lying leg raises
10 burpees

3. the second set again
4. The first set again.

would I have do to weights or ? I am a very good swimmer so should I need to even do swimming ? I guess I should . It works every muscle in the body :)

Snafu

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My son had the same problem. He drank a pint of milk with every meal. With that and just naturally growing from a teen to a young man he just scraped in at 66kg - passed out as an RM last October though so keep going and you’ll get there

PopStop

Reaction score
A pint of milk ? Wow, I will try that but due to the virus its hard to get shopping and my parents are both self employed so i cant down the milk, just have to monitor hoe much there is. I ordered weight gaining shakes to help when I am eating and working out. Thanks very much on the input :) How did your son get on :)

Snafu

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hardest thing he has ever done but totally worth it and loves his new job!
He had a good run through training and passed out as an original - I know that’s not the be all and end all but I was proud nevertheless- and grateful, it’s your torture for the parents!

Best of luck to you and your mum

PopStop

Reaction score
Thanks friend looking forward to getting to my goal eventually and doing what i want to be :) Question, what is life like after the marines, any idea ? :)