Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Need help with my fitness!

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by future-commando, Oct 11, 2019.

1. future-commando

future-commando New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I recently took 3 weeks out of training as ive started a new job that was supportive of me joining RM. Ive started getting back into training and I'm struggling, particularly with running. I seem to lose my breathe quicker than usual. 3 weeks ago i was running 1.5 miles in about 10:13 and the return in 11:50 (need to swap it round). I could run 3 miles in about 23 minuets. Now I'm starting to loose my breathe after half a mile, anyone know why this could be?

Also i currently work 2 pm - 10 pm soon to be 4 pm - 10 pm. Can anyone suggest a training plan or give me an average of how many hours a day i should train so i can manage my time better. I'm going to be giving myself all morning to train 5 days a week so if anyone has any good training plans that will build my fitness fairly quickly i would appreciate it.

2. Requiem

Requiem Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hard to diagnose what that issue could be over the web mate. Your best off going to a doctor if it persists. How long have you been back at training? If I have some time off my first week or so back is always poor until I get back into the rhythm. Where I am it's also started to get really cold in the mornings which can make me feel a bit more groggy.

Have the other aspects of training also suffered, or just the running? Pull ups, sit ups, press ups.

For training it seems Arny's plan is pretty solid for getting your fitness up to scratch. As per time, it's more about the quality rather than the quantity - only you can decide how much time you need. As a side chip in, this is just my opinion but if you're feeling out of breath quicker than usual, it's best to square that off before increasing the intensity of the workouts.

3. future-commando

future-commando New Member

App Stage:
    TMU

*text deleted* I’ve only just started training again, I may lack a little on strength but it’s mainly my endurance/ stamina is poor.

4. Requiem

Requiem Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Yeah might just be since you're only coming back to the training. Adding on top of that a new job which can be quite demanding, especially when you first join and want to impress, ending up running around like a blue *text deleted* fly.

I'd say just ease into it for a couple weeks and don't try to do max intensity as you may cause an injury, see how you get on from there. It's frustrating advice but it usually does me well. If you still feel like you're a bit breathless after a few weeks I'd definitely go to a doc, but you can cross that bridge as you come to it.

3 miles in 23 mins is a good pace, you'll get back there easy, and end up improving eventually.