need help with press ups

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Plummy said:
i dont understand that *text deleted*..do you think that i could be over doing my muscles? i only have one day off what u think mate? if u could could u explain this 100 push ups programme
Alright mate :) I know you asked alan to explain the 100 push up programme to you but im sitting here bored so thought i might be able to help you out ....

Firstly with this programme you need to do a push up test -

Test = 1mins worth of correct form push up's (form must be absolutely correct, no point in cheating yourself mate!)

From there you consult the the training programme chart and look for a column matching the number of push ups you managed in your minute long test.

Eg. If you managed say, 25 absolutely correct form push ups in the 1 minute test, then you'd look to WEEK 3, Column 2. There it outlines the push up programme you should follow to try and progress your push ups.

Then once you know which programme you're following, you carry it out. So if your following the programme from week 3, column 2, then your programme will look like this -

Monday - Rest 60 secs between each set.
Set 1 - 20 push ups
Set 2 - 15
Set 3 - 15
Set 4 - 13
Set 5 - Max push up's, min of 20 which equalls first set.

Wednesday - Rest 90 secs between each set.
Set 1 - 22
Set 2 - 17
Set 3 - 17
Set 4 - 15
Set 5 - Max push ups, min of 22 equal to first set.

Friday - Rest 120 secs between each set.
Set 1 - 25
Set 2 - 19
Set 3 - 19
Set 4 - 17
Set 5 - Max push ups, min of 25 equal to first set.

After 2wks your re-test yourself, you then check the trainning programme again and follow the new programme if you've increased you max press ups. :)

Obviously the above is just an example, you'll have to do the 1min push up test to figure out which programme you'll be on & you can change the days the programme list i.e mon, wed & fri, to suit your workout regime.

Hope this hepls matey :)

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thanks again shiloh always there to help *text deleted*

the_robmeister

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this program and found it successful? i Have thought about using it to up my push ups but with my prmc so close dont want to take any real risks :?

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
sorry for late reply...

its great programme...and it works/ed so far for me.

the_robmeister

Reaction score
i might try this then.
So when do you do them? When you workout or in the morning with breakfast?

Also Alan, if you dont mind me asking, what was your push up score before and now and what time gap? thanks

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
used to do about 36 before i had to rest.

now in 3 weeks...i can do 45 before i rest

i do them every monday, wed, fri night (8pm ish)....gets tough some times as i do chest on monday and triceps on friday....but itd all good stuff no matter what you do :)

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
whats wrong with doing 3x 30 I can only do 30 at the mo and im still improving i wouldnt worry about it.

Jamie

Reaction score
i've got a good little press up routine we did in BMF last week.
after a warm up or run do:

rest on your knees for about 5 seconds (no longer) after each type or press up.

6 normal press up (arms close to body)
6 wide arm press up
6 diamond press up (hands close as possible in the middle)
6 9 o'clock press ups (right arm in front of you, left arm at a right angle to it )
6 3 o'clock press ups (obviusly arms switched from the last set)
6 leg raise press ups (each time you bend and lower your chest to the floor, raise one leg far as you can in the air keeping it straight, switch leg each rep)
6 commando press ups (each time you bend and lower your body, bring one leg forward as far as possible towards the front keeping it off the floor, kind of like crawling)

Then.. again resting for 5 seconds after each type:

3 normal press up
3 wide arm press up
3 diamond press up
3 9 o'clock press ups
3 3 o'clock press ups
4 leg raise press ups
4 commando press ups

lastly without resting on your knees:

1 normal press up
1 wide arm press up
1 diamond press up
1 normal press up
1 wide arm press up
1 diamond press up
1 normal press up
1 wide arm press up
1 diamond press up

I got 68 press ups on my PRMC and i still found this hard, but obviuosly change the amount of reps to suit your level of fitness but keep the leg raise and commando type a even number.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone try doing pressups with weights on your back ?. Im wondering if you mixed that into a routine with a spotter if it would help. I was thinking of trying next week.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ty said:
Anyone try doing pressups with weights on your back ?. Im wondering if you mixed that into a routine with a spotter if it would help. I was thinking of trying next week.
not tried it.....but sounds good....maybe once a week