Need help with referee

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by gibo57, Dec 31, 2016.

1. gibo57

gibo57 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hey guys
    I have a problem getting the right referee for my application.
    I havent been in education for three years, i dont know anyone who has the correct standing in the community and my employer is related to me.
    The rest of my application is finished but I'm really stuck on this last bit, i have people who could vouch for me but they are either the same age as me and in university or dont have the correct "standing" in the community.
    cheers gibo57

2. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Gp? Any former SNCOs in the military?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Whenever someone struggles to find a suitable person willing to vouch for their viability as an employee, the reason we ask for a character, education or employment referee should become painfully apparent.

Think 'can do' rather than 'can't' your prospective future military career depends upon it.

Oh, and Happy New Year ;)

4. gibo57

gibo57 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Its not that i cant find anyone willing it is just that i literally dont know anyone that meets the criteria.
    The GP was a thought but i havent seen my GP for at least 10 years because i have never been ill enough to need to see him and thanks for such a speedy reply in the festive season i do appreciate it and happy new year to yourself too

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

All the very best and good luck with the job hunting.

6. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Consider writing a polite letter (rather than an email) to your former head of year at your final school. Or perhaps a teacher there known to you. Explain what you have been doing for the past three years and your career aspirations for the future. If the final years of your school career were, erm... behaviourally difficult—mine certainly were—admit this and explain what you have learned from the experience.

Ask the person if you can nominate him or her as your referee and enclose a stamped addressed envelope so that he or she can reply to your request with minimal inconvenience.

If the suggestion above is not feasible, make a list of potential referees and start networking and building relationships which will enable them to stand as credible referees.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

A few years back we had an applicant who came into the AFCO asking for help filling out the old paper application form.

We took him through it, page by page, question by question. "Do you understand the tattoo policy?" He was asked. "Erm, no" It was duly explained. "Do you understand the drugs policy?" "Nope". Likewise explained. "Have you any unspent convictions?"

"What are they?" He asked. "Well, have you ever been in trouble with the police?" He was asked "Nah, never".

We got to the referee bit. "Can you nominate a person you've known a few years, of some standing in the community, willing to vouch for you?" Long pause. Lots of thinking.

"My Probation Officer?"

"Bingo!"

• Hoofin Hoofin x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gibo57

gibo57 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I did a course last year and the tutor said that he will be my referee the course was only one year long is that still ok?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

As an aside, some of the best references we get are from former service personnel and teachers.

My favourite? "This lad will be perfect for the Armed Forces and the forces will be perfect for him. He is overdue a kick up the ass".

The other thing people forget is to ask. They wrongly assume a former teacher, for example, cannot write anything negative. My favourite educational reference? "This young man is trouble with a capital T. Don"t touch him with a bargepole. Habitual drug user". We didn't.
    Yip.

10. gibo57

gibo57 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm hoping mine is the former example
    Really appreciate all the help I got from this website, such speedy and useful responses from everyone, I was expecting to be waiting weeks for a reply not hours